NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Renata Galasso

I've searched this forum and while there is some scattered information on her, there doesn't seem to be a thread devoted to someone who really helped me, and a lot of others, discover that you didn't need to go to the store to get cards.

When I was trying to complete my 1978 set (my first ever) my dad came back from a Yankee game with their current scorebook/magazine, and I found an add for a complete set for $14.95. It took me a while to convince my parents that it made more economical sense to invest the 15 bucks and finish the set, than to keep buying packs looking for straggler cards (which I kept doing anyway). I found it odd then and still do that the card image they used to illustrate the 78 set was Dave Roberts - a pretty poor paint job of a guy who didn't resonate with kids in 1978.

Anyway, it took forever to come. When it finally did, they sent the 1979 Topps Set which had just been issued. I was furious! My mom pulled the first card, the 1978 batting leaders, and said, "are your sure it isn't the right set? This says 1978". I had to explain it to here.

Anyway we got it straightened out, and by the time I got it I only needed a single card - Gary Ross.

I remember that when she advertised the new Topps set each year, well into the 1980s I think, she used an old, poor image of 1975 cards to illustrate the offer for vending boxes. I actually used to not get those because I was 'worried' I might get 500 mint 1975 cards instead of the 1985 cards I was really looking for...if only!

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone out there has any information on her - how she got into the business, where she went, that sort of thing.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:33 PM

No info from me. I hope someone chimes in.

But Deweys are taking over Net54. We got to get Dewey2007 in this thread.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Rob

Beyond the Wikipedia, I know I saw an article about her that included pics of one of her stores. I'm thinking it might have been on Sportscollectorsdaily.com, but I will look around and see if I can find it.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Matt

Some of my fondest memories from childhood are going to the Renata Galasso storefront a few blocks from my house in Brooklyn. I got so many of my cards there as a kid.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Howie Schenker

I recall that Renata was a "front" for her husband, Bill Hongach, who was a one time Yankee bat boy and autograph dealer.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:00 PM

"This is fascinating. I had no idea Renata Galasso was a woman that dealt cards in the 1970s. I only know the name as the brand that produced replica prewar sets in the early-'80s. I've got some sweet '83 T206 sheets that they put into Baseball Card Hobby Report magazine. I know they made a bunch of other sets, too.

Hopefully someone comes along that knows more about her.

Arthur"

Quote above was posted in the post-1980 card section where I accidentally first placed this thread - would love to delete the thread from that location but don't know how.

Anyway, I remember her hobby card news magazines as well, and I also had the T206 cards. Yes - she was a real woman.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77733909_5b0798b914_b.jpg (77.4 KB, 646 views)
File Type: jpg 77733835_8a99607ca2_b.jpg (78.4 KB, 645 views)
File Type: jpg renata-galasso-ad-from-1978-street-smiths-baseball.jpg (79.9 KB, 647 views)
Old 09-15-2018, 05:02 PM

I was wondering about the "worlds largest" boast - did she top Fritsch?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:28 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I purchased cards from her for years and at times she would enclose a gift of a set of Drake's cards or some other small regional issue with your order. Bill Hongach is also a name from the early days , I heard they were married but never heard it verified because of the " separation " of the businesses : her cards and his autographs and I believe some memorabilia .
Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
I was wondering about the "worlds largest" boast - did she top Fritsch?

Probably in terms of how much they took in, Fritsh was big, but I think less sales and more inventory.

Hard to tell, as nobody really released any actual figures other than inventory.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:58 PM
Curt

I too was an early buyer from her ads in periodicals. I used to get the full sets each year from her for a while. I tried to find info on her as well, as it seems she just disappeared from the card world eventually. I believe I read that she was in college when she started the business. Definitely one of the early memories I have of the card hobby. With there was more on the history of her and others that were doing a lot of mail order business.

I knew there were more and I thought I had even seen a photo of her when she was younger, maybe it's in a magazine I have. Anyway, I read that her Aunt is the one pictured in the previous shot, not her. She is in her 60s now and it would seem, still in NY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77733406_f287a2de55_b.jpg (79.1 KB, 677 views)
File Type: jpg 69p10.jpg (32.8 KB, 674 views)

Last edited by mrmopar; 09-15-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:10 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeson View Post
I recall that Renata was a "front" for her husband, Bill Hongach, who was a one time Yankee bat boy and autograph dealer.
That is correct in terms of Bill Hongach being instrumental in the business. It made for great pub to have the business in her name.

Her whole family did work in the business and one of my work friends at the time said whenever he ordered from them he spoke to her father.

Rich
Old 09-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Curt

Baseball Hobby Card Report was their publication in the 80s. I found 1 issue and maybe have a couple others, but I don't see them too often at a price I would pay, so I don't have as many as I'd like.

How about a Mays RGI set with 1st card auto for $15!! Seems crazy, but back then that was the going price. There is a two page spread selling auto'd 8x10s and the top price for a single signed photo is Roger Maris at $20. Maris and Mantle together photos were $37.50. Those are non-subscriber prices too. Subscribers paid $17.50 & $35.00. This is the Spring 1985 issue and Maris would die later that year. Other notables...Willie Mays, $9.99. Mickey Mantle, $12.99. Sandy Koufax, $9.99.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (20.0 KB, 665 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (19.8 KB, 668 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (20.9 KB, 664 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (13.5 KB, 668 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (20.2 KB, 661 views)
Old 09-16-2018, 05:43 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

Apparently, Renata is still living in Brooklyn, NY and is no longer married.

https://www.mylife.com/renata-galasso/renatagalasso

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 09-17-2018, 01:51 PM

I too had a set or too from her back in the 70's...I have to locate the pamphlet, but Renata did mention in it, that back then that she got into the card business to help fund her school expenses. Always had great interaction with her. She said if the cards were damaged and or off centered and not to your satisfaction, to send it back and she would replace it. Old time dealers did that sorta thing.

Ricky Y

Last edited by Rickyy; 09-17-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:17 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I ordered a vending box of 1975's from her as I recall and she did include a freebie, just can't remember what it was! And who remembers Gloria Rothstein, who I believe created the concept of the East Coast National. "A Gloria Rothstein Show!"

Last edited by toppcat; 09-17-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:37 PM
Jim B.

I still have my '76 set in the original box from Reneta!!! - Cards have never seen the light of day!
Old 09-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I ordered a vending box of 1975's from her as I recall and she did include a freebie, just can't remember what it was! And who remembers Gloria Rothstein, who I believe created the concept of the East Coast National. "A Gloria Rothstein Show!"
I set up at many of Gloria's shows in the 1980's and remember her well. She and her husband have both now passed on. She was a pioneer indeed

Rich
Old 09-20-2018, 08:04 PM
Curt

I have some interesting odds and ends that relate to the card hobby in general, but it would be neat to see more. Some I have include the Jim Beckett 56 Topps design card, Michael Cramer 70s Phoenix Giants minor league card, a Kit Young auto from one of his shows, a Mr. Mint 55 Topps type auto'd card, and I have seen (but don't own) a couple Larry Fritsch cards in the 83 Minor League design as well. Not to mention the signed Rich Klein 92 Topps card. Nearly forgot the Keith Olberman T-206 cards they put out a few years back. Lastly, the Sy Berger Fan Favorites auto.

Can anyone think of some other hobby personnel related cards out there?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM
Arthur R!ch

There's always Jefferson Burdick backstamped cards. I got this E79 Abe Attell (IBHOF and Black Sox) card from a seller in the U.K., of all places.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 09-21-2018, 10:50 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I have some interesting odds and ends that relate to the card hobby in general, but it would be neat to see more. Some I have include the Jim Beckett 56 Topps design card, Michael Cramer 70s Phoenix Giants minor league card, a Kit Young auto from one of his shows, a Mr. Mint 55 Topps type auto'd card, and I have seen (but don't own) a couple Larry Fritsch cards in the 83 Minor League design as well. Not to mention the signed Rich Klein 92 Topps card. Nearly forgot the Keith Olberman T-206 cards they put out a few years back. Lastly, the Sy Berger Fan Favorites auto.

Can anyone think of some other hobby personnel related cards out there?
My 1992 card is actually part of a 66 card set. I did an article on that set in Sports Collectors Daily and if he is willing to admit it, a board member has the uncut sheet.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:30 PM

I have many fond memories of purchasing sets from Renata from the late 70's through the late 80's. Here is my look back at a number of the different card sets that Renata issued as well as the Baseball Hobby Card Magazine that she published.

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/200...a-galasso.html
Old 09-23-2018, 07:21 AM
Larry More.y

From my winter 1983 copy of BHCR, here is an interview with Renata herself .....apparently she and her husband (former Yankee batboy Bill Hongach) have/had quite a collection themselves. If I had a collection like the one they have, I would be smiling in all of my pictures (unlike Renata in this article).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img725.jpg (80.0 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg img726.jpg (79.2 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg img727.jpg (79.3 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg img728.jpg (77.4 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg img729.jpg (78.0 KB, 418 views)

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 09-23-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:22 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I set up at many of Gloria's shows in the 1980's and remember her well. She and her husband have both now passed on. She was a pioneer indeed

Rich
When I was working for my father back in the 1980's one of the places
we did work at was a housing development in Highland Mills. We were
doing the tile work at their house and I remember having a discussion
with her about baseball cards and her shows but I was out of the
collecting loop at that time.
Old 04-29-2023, 12:43 AM
MICHAEL

Renata is alive and lives in Brooklyn with her Aunt, "Anna" who is pictured further down in this thread.
I had dinner a few years ago with Renata.
She has been divorced from Bill since 1990 or so.
The divorce is what destroyed their business.
The company was most likely the biggest in the industry for most of its existence.
This was due to they having a super close relationship with Phil Carter who ran Topps for awhile and also their very close longtime relationship with Richard Gelman / Joe Pasternack / Don Lepore of Card Collectors Co.
I can't make you grasp the magnitude of what RGI actually had.
I CAN'T imagine anyone outside of Card Collectors Co. had anything remotely close.
RGI bought truckloads of 1950s, 60s and 70s cards from them.
You have to remember that Topps was based out of the Park Slope area in Brooklyn, about 1.5 miles away from RGI.
Richard Gelmans father, Woody founded Topps with Sy Berger in the late 1940s.
Soooo, somehow massive quantities of cards found their way to Card Collectors Co.
Then subsequently they would find their final resting place at RGI (Bill).
The sheer ridiculousness of the quantity and quality of what they had at any given time is unfathomable except I saw it and was surrounded by it for 5 years (1984-89).
When you think about it like this it makes more sense.
In 1985, 1955 cards were only 30 years old, thats the same as 1993 today.
That's the only way you can rationalize it.
There were thousands of metal index card file card drawers stacked to the ceiling on a few floors in 3 different buildings on the same block (10th Avenue).
ALL their cards were straight out of Vending boxes and cut card cases.
ALL NR MT - MINT.
I remember in 1982, I "almost" bought all of their 1975 Brett rookies.
They had (900) of them, ALL touched one time.
GORGEOUS STUFF.
They wanted ($7.00) each, so ($6,300)
I passed...as I didn't have that kinda money at 16, and either wanted them all or none.
Lololol...
That happened before I started to work their.
Draw full of Mint 1971 Garvey rookies...ALL BLACK BORDERS !!!!
Draw full of Mint 1975 Yount rookies...PERFECT looking
Draw full of 1968 Topps Mantle, Mays and Killebrew combo card...ALL MINT and like ($2) a card in 1985...lolol
So many stories, memories and visuals of ungodly amounts of legendary cards.
I'm glad to have actually seen it all.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:08 AM

Thanks for this update!

I regularly purchased and received her catalogs from the late 70s through the mid-80s, but I don't recall ever seeing her advertising for cards earlier than 1976 or 1977 in any of the big 4 sports. It sounds like her inventory, though, was far more comprehensive - did she have different mechanisms or venues for selling the older stuff?

Those were the days...imagine not buying "1,000 Mint 1980 Baseball cards in Never Before Opened Boxes" for $9.99 because you were afraid you'd get the 1975s as shown in the ad...that was me!
Old 04-29-2023, 09:06 AM
Wayne V

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
From my winter 1983 copy of BHCR, here is an interview with Renata herself .....apparently she and her husband (former Yankee batboy Bill Hongach) have/had quite a collection themselves. If I had a collection like the one they have, I would be smiling in all of my pictures (unlike Renata in this article).
This is a great thread, and I especially enjoyed reading this article.
I wasn't involved in the hobby from 1971 to 1988. I missed most of Renata's heyday, but I would often see the name.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:04 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I own the original Ron Lewis artwork from one of her BHCR issues:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-29-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:39 AM
James M.

Chiming in on this thread.

Renata's store was not to far from where I grew up in Brooklyn; the same neighborhood actually. I wish there was a hobby store, similar to Renata's still around Brooklyn.

Like almost everything else with the vintage side of the hobby, things were better years ago. Never thought I'd wish I was older, but it is what it is!

As a side note, would love if a Net54 New York/New Jersey meet up could occur!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:29 PM

I remember purchasing sets from her in the early 80's. And if you purchased a certain number of sets, I think 3 sets would qualify, she would include an autograph poster of a player being featured that year. I would ask collector friends if they were planning on buying a complete set and once I had the required amount of sets, I would send in the order. A short time later the sets and autograph poster of the star player would arrive. I have a signed posters of Reggie Jackson and another of Frank Robinson.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:42 PM
Tom S

Threads like this are why I keep coming back to this forum.