NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-16-2023, 04:36 PM
Mike

Default What is a sports card?

Define it.

1948-55 Bowman sets are sports cards.
1951-59 Topps sets are sports cards.
The 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set is full of sports cards.

What about food and beverage cards? Are they "cards"?
Kahns Wieners, Morrel Meats, Hires Root Beer, Swift Meats, Rodeo Meats, Red Man tobacco, Johnston Cookies Braves, etc.

What about the ones that have blank backs like the 1959 Bazooka set?
Does a "card" have to have something written on the back of it to be considered a card?

Does a "card" have to be within a certain size?

Wilson Franks and Red Hearts have backs with stats, seems like a sports card to me.

The "Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards" book has 288 separate listings of 1950s sets/items.

I'm just a collector trying to figure things out.

Any help would be appreciated...

- Mike S.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A card is a piece of cardboard with writing, a picture, or both upon it. A trading card, a postcard, a business card, a calling card, etc.

A trading card is a card, predominantly with a focus on a picture of something, that is intended to be collected.

A sports card is a trading card that features a sport being played, an athlete, or a team logo, or some similar picture relevant to a sport.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:15 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Didn’t we just discuss this very question like 3 months ago?

I think the answer boils down to just how expansive you want to be. Are you a narrow card definition guy? Or a broad card definition guy?

I started my collecting approach with a narrow mindset. I’ve come around to a more expansive mindset.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 12-16-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Didn’t we just discuss this very question like 3 months ago?
Are graded cards cool?

I hate graded cards.

What T206 portrait do you like best?

How do I make money?

Please tell me spending my savings account on baseball cards will make me rich.

1952 Topps posts in the pre-war section.

What's a card anyway?

I am angry that person/organization X did Y because I did Z!

Hello fellow junkies, do you think baseball cards will increase in value? Affirm me!

What big name players should I buy to make more money?

Is this obvious reprint authentic?

Pickup thread - show your new purchases that will end up on the BST or for sale within 60 days.

^ This is 90% of our threads . Without them, it's a handful of dead research threads, the print variants megathread, and we'd have nothing else!
Old 12-16-2023, 06:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Look at them the way most people (botanists aside) define vegetables. The word 'veggies' covers everything and simply refers to the various parts of a plant that we consume - leaves, roots, stalks, flowers, bulbs, etc. Some are even legumes, for cripes sake (wait, is that word supposed to be a possessive "cripe's"?). The word 'cards' refers to everything that is printed (small enough) on sturdier material and made for the purpose of being collected by people. That's what it is to me.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.