NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-14-2023, 02:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Grade or Not to Grade? Clemente w/Scratches on Back

Does anyone have pertinent experience with sending a card with scratches on the back (or anything relatively closely comparable to that type of wear) to SGC?

I have this nicely centered 1969 Topps #50 Roberto Clemente with little corner touches that was going to be a part of my next sub, but if the scratches (claw marks?) in the back corner area (close-up below) automatically drop it way down, it simply won't be worth it. Am I looking at an automatic 3 or lower for something of this nature, before the rest of the card is even assessed?

1969clemente50gradeornot.jpg

(The card is nice and flat, it is only an optical illusion making it appear to be wavy.)

1969clemente50gradeornotSCRATCHBACK.jpg

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:06 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I am not a submitter, but I would assume a 3 or 2.5.

That said, there are numerous budget collectors working on cards like this. I would think just as in most cards, the the nice centering and vg front of this card would bring a good premium over beaters in the same grade.

I am a buy the card guy, and I would certainly give it a look if placed in front of me.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:30 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I would grade it, couldn't see the scratches until the blow up pic. Presents well!
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:26 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Jolly - are you a gambling man?

Most of the time, it seems like a gamble when you submit stuff for grading. And this one probably qualifies a bit extra with those flaws. Will the grader go easy on you? Will they freak out and hammer you? Will they even notice in the 15 seconds that they look at this card?

Hard to say, really. So you could be looking at an 8. Or you could be looking at a 2. Or somewhere in-between!! And if you don't like what you get, I guess you can always crack and re-submit. Or just crack and stick with raw.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-15-2023, 04:35 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

I wouldn’t grade it - you never know what a grader is going to do with paper loss , no matter how minimal - somebody might give it a one - imagine a 69 set where Every card look like this ( The print and centering is perfect ) would be a pretty enjoyable set
Old 12-15-2023, 06:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yep, don't recommend grading. I would call it paper loss as well.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:32 PM
J0hn Collin$

For 15 bucks anymore, it may be worth a shot. The SGC I am familiar with lately has a decent chance of not even noticing that.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Thanks, guys!

There are plenty of dark sides to this site, but this thread shows a great aspect of it. Some of the opinions are diametrically opposite of each other, yet each post has been spot on in its own way!!

Here's how I've decided to treat it. I rarely, if ever, sell anything, but always must imagine what would happen if I did:

Graded - Let's assume that nothing is missed at SGC and it (rightfully?) gets only an SGC 2 due to the scratches/paper loss. If I go to sell it, it will only merit the low sales price that a 2 gets, which practically isn't enough to cover the cost of grading. Plus, if I was hoping to get more for it than that, when I explain it's so much better than a 2 - and it only got that number due to the 'unseen' claw marks - a buyer will think, "No way, man, there's gotta be more to it, hidden bends or creases or something."

Ungraded - If someone's interested in buying or trading for it, I simply say it looks really nice over all, but I didn't send it in to be graded because of the minor scratches on the back. The reply? "Cool. Makes sense."

Yes, I like to gamble on cardboard, but since I do have another (unclawed) one in similar shape, I'm going to leave this one in the binder and put all of my (slim) hopes on that one instead.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 12-15-2023, 08:43 PM

Just use a box cutter to trim that part of the card off altogether or a pair of safety scissors and call it OPC
Old 12-15-2023, 10:23 PM
Al Stein

Nice card, Darren. I know those are very hard to find centered like that.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2023, 10:34 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I've found yet another candidate. This one is sweet as heck,* but waaaaaay O/C top-to-bottom. Think it's worth sending in to SGC??

1969clemente50gradeornotOCsm.jpg

*All the darkish areas (crossing his bat towards his face, the lower left corner, etc.) that appear to be gum/wax stains are not. As bizarre as it seems, those areas are under the gloss and were printed that way. I had a similar card to this awhile back with the same 'non-stains,' and it got a proper 6.5. Strange but true cardboard tales.

Edited to add (I hate acronyming it to "ETA," because that's something else entirely) - Here's the link to the thread about the other one: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325571

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-16-2023 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 05:55 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I've found yet another candidate. This one is sweet as heck,* but waaaaaay O/C top-to-bottom. Think it's worth sending in to SGC??
I would think you are probably starting with an outside chance at a 4 given that centering. The 4 standard is 85/15; 3 is 90/10.

Other issues on the card acceptable for the grade (i.e. a wrinkle...) should not result in a compounded lower grade, although I have seen PSA more or less do that to people before. Depends on the name on the order form, I suppose.

SGC used to be a haven for otherwise nice cards with centering issues to get a fair shake, but that ship more or less sailed around the time of Covid. If they are consistent in any area, it shows in their universal love for centering. I've (recently) had cards come back as much as a full grade higher than I was expecting, and the only thing I can attribute it to is good centering. I don't have to like this, but it is more reflective of market reality. People do love them some centered-up cardboard.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-17-2023 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:48 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Check the sharpness of Clemente‘s image compared to the first one .. wow
Old 12-17-2023, 02:27 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Thanks for the input, you two!!

Centering and image focus are definitely the main issues, so I guess it's another Clemente pass for me (I knew there was a reason I never sent this Bob in before ). It's the right move, but what a serious bummer to waste those sharp ass corners!!

Casey Stengel