NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-11-2023, 04:18 PM
Fra.ncis R0se

Default eBay buyer beware - usspictor54 - 82TT Ripken

Bought a 1982 Ripken Traded SGC 8 from him. Item #325871904528. Received the card about 3 weeks ago. Opened it yesterday. The slab is bad, the label is fake, the card is fake. I filed a claim with eBay, he rejected it so I am out the money.

This is what I wrote in the return request:
"Card is not genuine. "SGC" label is obviously a photocopy, no original hologram integrated into label. Also there is evidence of either copying or tampering on the lower right corner of the label. The card itself is not genuine either, I have handled dozens over the years and have never seen a card out of focus like this one; the green on the field is very washed out, there are very fine speckles on the white borders. There is evidence of tampering and re-gluing along the sides of the slab."

This is what he wrote in response:
"Dear Buyer- this appears to be a false claim and made up attempt at a free Refund. I have not heard from you once prior to you opening a Case and the ebay money back guarantee expired after (30) days. This card was purchased several years ago at a card show from a trusted and reputable dealer. I have perfect 100% feedback and 0 Defects on my account. Further, I'm a retired US Navy Vietnam Veteran. I am respectfully going to Decline this Request. Order date was over (30) days ago during first week of November and we are now less than two weeks from Christmas. This Return seems suspicious to me. All the Best to you."

He no longer has zero defects on his record. He also has a long history of selling off-brand slabs, unlicensed cards, and other junk. Shame on me for not looking at feedback before bidding.

Links to bigger pics of above:
https://flic.kr/p/2pm3Gvt

https://flic.kr/p/2pm5hLU

https://flic.kr/p/2pm5hLP

https://flic.kr/p/2pkXXVN

Last edited by frosejr65; 12-11-2023 at 04:28 PM. Reason: changed photo links
Old 12-11-2023, 05:25 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

This is the B/S/T section - not the area to debate this.

The pictures of the eBay listed card don't match the pictures you provided of the front and label/flip. Same SGC serial number but the eBay listing shows a legit card and holder? The picture of the card back looks identical to the eBay listing. Same print dots/blemishes. Gold Hologram?

You waited 3 weeks to open the package and claim the seller slipped you a fake card and slab? Tough one to prove. Seller has sold over 5000 items on eBay.

SGC doesn't use that gold hologram anymore, right? That's weird. SGC website claims the card with that serial number was graded April 2023. I'm stumped....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32587190452...orig_cvip=true

Last edited by jp1216; 12-11-2023 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post

The pictures of the eBay listed card don't match the pictures you provided of the front and label/flip. Same SGC serial number but the eBay listing shows a legit card and holder? The picture of the card back looks identical to the eBay listing. Same print dots/blemishes. Gold Hologram?

You waited 3 weeks to open the package and claim the seller slipped you a fake card and slab? Tough one to prove. Seller has sold over 5000 items on eBay.

SGC doesn't use that gold hologram anymore, right? That's weird. SGC website claims the card with that serial number was graded April 2023. I'm stumped....

That was the first thing I noticed. There is no way the back and front scans should be from the same slab.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post

Old 12-11-2023, 08:05 PM
Larry More.y

Hopefully you used a credit card and can initiate a claim through your card.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:06 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Fun 2nd post for you.

Reminds me a little of my first post, but with a little less drama.

Reading about others who have experienced disputes on eBay, the common refrain seems to be that eBay sides pretty aggressively with the buyer and not the seller. Obviously the new AG program is intended to eliminate a lot of the potential for shenanigans. But it sounds like you were under the AG limit.

I would continue to press your case with eBay. Typically they will refund you even if the seller rejects your case.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 12-11-2023 at 09:07 PM.