NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-13-2023, 08:02 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default 1952 topps Mantle how can this be real

seller has only one card for sale
looks really suspect , how can this be real prefectly centered and ungraded

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40468013135...UAAOSw-sJlekcZ
Old 12-13-2023, 09:05 PM
Scott

….Because it’s fake.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:17 PM

The tell is the back corners, natural wear doesn't look like that
Old 12-14-2023, 11:44 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

ooh, that is definitely not kosher...

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I'm honestly surprised we don't have many good fakes of this card yet. Especially with it's price run the last three years, we mostly see fakes that are not even remotely close and can be dismissed in two seconds.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:10 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
….Because it’s fake.
I dunno, he’s got almost 100% positive feedback for all the Nintendo games he’s been selling. Seems like a trustworthy guy!
Old 12-14-2023, 02:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
I dunno, he’s got almost 100% positive feedback for all the Nintendo games he’s been selling. Seems like a trustworthy guy!
Sadly eBay feedback is completely worthless. A long time scammer has 10,960 positives with zero negative feedback.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:44 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Sadly eBay feedback is completely worthless. A long time scammer has 10,960 positives with zero negative feedback.
Er…I guess I wasn’t clear enough with the joke.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I'm honestly surprised we don't have many good fakes of this card yet. Especially with it's price run the last three years, we mostly see fakes that are not even remotely close and can be dismissed in two seconds.
What's equally surprising is that people don't take five minutes to educate themselves how to spot obvious fakes. Of course self help is not part of our culture apparently, as is obvious from all the threads asking for contact information which people could have easily found for themselves with one search.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-14-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:19 PM
Josh Alpert

Quote:
Is there a known card that has been faked so well it could fool an expert?
Old 12-14-2023, 03:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by a761506 View Post
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any that are so good they regularly can fool a knowledgeable person who has it in hand.

There are definitely some that are pretty good and require the expert or some real research to tell. The graders refuse/refused to grade Star basketball and Fro-Joys because there were some decent fakes. I've seen some pretty good Fleer MJ's and some decent Exhibits. I don't think I've ever seen a fake Mantle that requires more than a 5 second glance at an image to tell it's a fake though. It's fakes I've seen are all very low effort jobs that are immediately wrong. It wouldn't be that difficult of a project to make one that at least looks pretty decent with a vaguely close stock in a picture.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:57 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Sadly, they don't need to fool the experts, just the other 99% of collectors. It's sort of the old "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you!" premise.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any that are so good they regularly can fool a knowledgeable person who has it in hand.

There are definitely some that are pretty good and require the expert or some real research to tell. The graders refuse/refused to grade Star basketball and Fro-Joys because there were some decent fakes. I've seen some pretty good Fleer MJ's and some decent Exhibits. I don't think I've ever seen a fake Mantle that requires more than a 5 second glance at an image to tell it's a fake though. It's fakes I've seen are all very low effort jobs that are immediately wrong. It wouldn't be that difficult of a project to make one that at least looks pretty decent with a vaguely close stock in a picture.
I have heard there are some modern soccer cards that regularly fool the graders, although I don't know if that's due to how good they are or to incompetence. In theory this should become more and more of a problem as the technology gets even better.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:07 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have heard there are some modern soccer cards that regularly fool the graders, although I don't know if that's due to how good they are or to incompetence. In theory this should become more and more of a problem as the technology gets even better.
Considering even 1 heavily stained example of a Mantle is worth ~$10M; I find it difficult to believe that we won't get fakes on stocks that can pass before all that long. The ROI on putting in the work into mimicking period correct printing is just so big that eventually somebody is going to inevitably seriously tackle this as a professional quality operation.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:09 PM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
Considering even 1 heavily stained example of a Mantle is worth ~$10M; I find it difficult to believe that we won't get fakes on stocks that can pass before all that long. The ROI on putting in the work into mimicking period correct printing is just so big that eventually somebody is going to inevitably seriously tackle this as a professional quality operation.
A premium quality fake doesn’t get caught. IMHO the issue isn’t “if” they exist, the issue is counterfeiters can’t flood a market with hundreds of nice copies without raising suspicion.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
A premium quality fake doesn’t get caught. IMHO the issue isn’t “if” they exist, the issue is counterfeiters can’t flood a market with hundreds of nice copies without raising suspicion.
I don’t believe in this conspiracy theory that the undetectable crime is being committed. We need good fakes before there are premium perfect fakes, we don’t even have good. Someone will need to produce some evidence for this. Every time it comes up, nobody has a shred.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:43 PM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
I don’t believe in this conspiracy theory that the undetectable crime is being committed. We need good fakes before there are premium perfect fakes, we don’t even have good. Someone will need to produce some evidence for this. Every time it comes up, nobody has a shred.
To each his own
Old 12-14-2023, 06:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I tend to agree. If there were really good fakes now, at least some of them would have been caught and called out, as with the Jordans some of which are pretty damn good. But I don't think we've heard anything about really good fake 311s, just the obvious hack jobs.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-14-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:42 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Quote:

and many Star Basketball from the same era

Last edited by megalimey; 12-14-2023 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:46 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
seller has only one card for sale
looks really suspect , how can this be real prefectly centered and ungraded

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40468013135...UAAOSw-sJlekcZ
wow up to $4500 some body is going to be unhappy
Old 12-14-2023, 08:29 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

The negative feedback calling the seller a "scumbag" may give reason for pause. LOL
Old 12-15-2023, 08:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
In hand, probably not.

The best fake I ever saw was back in maybe 81 or 82. The local dealer showed me a really great 51 Mantle. And just asked me what I thought of it. (pretty amazing they'd ask a just out of HS kid that)
After the initial "wow that's incredibly nice" the doubt set in. I couldn't point to anything specifically, but I became sure it was fake. So that's what I said, It's nice, but it's sad that it's fake. but I don't know why.
Apparently that was their opinion, and the opinion of I think 5 other dealers who had been offered that same card.

Being pessimistic, I would almost bet it's gotten past PSA and is now in a holder that's at least an 8.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

I think the reason is that to make a great fake you'd need an original as source material.
And it's become so expensive that it just hasn't happened.

It would be worth it to make one nearly perfect one. maybe a bit off, so it's not suspicious, but around a 7-8. what it would take is out of reach for most fakers.

Someone smart would only do that once. Maybe with a handful of other 52 high numbers to avert suspicion.
Two? It would start getting looked at more closely.
Three? Just asking for trouble.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:09 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I think the reason is that to make a great fake you'd need an original as source material.

It would be worth it to make one nearly perfect one. maybe a bit off, so it's not suspicious, but around a 7-8. what it would take is out of reach for most fakers.

Someone smart would only do that once. Maybe with a handful of other 52 high numbers to avert suspicion.
What if you really wanted to tweak some noses?

I could see some of the more sinister elements of our hobby deciding to go scorched earth and create millions of really good 52T fakes. If done properly, it could throw the entire hobby in disarray for a while, at least until we figured out some way to reliably distinguish the fakes from the real deal.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-15-2023, 09:23 AM
Ben North

Quote:
In hand, probably not.

The best fake I ever saw was back in maybe 81 or 82. The local dealer showed me a really great 51 Mantle. And just asked me what I thought of it. (pretty amazing they'd ask a just out of HS kid that)
After the initial "wow that's incredibly nice" the doubt set in. I couldn't point to anything specifically, but I became sure it was fake. So that's what I said, It's nice, but it's sad that it's fake. but I don't know why.
Apparently that was their opinion, and the opinion of I think 5 other dealers who had been offered that same card.

Being pessimistic, I would almost bet it's gotten past PSA and is now in a holder that's at least an 8.
There is a decent counterfeit 89 Fleer Bill Ripken FF card that has made it into a few PSA slabs. Many people even with it in hand say it is real.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

If someone could buy a low grade one that would enable them to make a high grade one, the profit would be staggering. This to me doesn't explain it.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:45 PM
Al Stein

Up to $12k!

Seller says he will put the card in a toploader for shipment LOL.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:55 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default 1952 topps Mantle how can this be real

I’ve often wondered about this. With the exponential leaps in AI effectiveness we’ve seen in the last few years, how long would it really take for someone to start creating fakes that are so good they couldn’t be detected using some of those same concepts?

I guess a better question is would this happen to money (counterfeit) first? There is a reason over hundreds of years now that hasn’t happened, and maybe not just one.

For cards, I think the cost-benefit to do this en masse just isn’t there yet. Could someone in theory invest in the infrastructure to create a printing factory that uses the old school techniques, (halftone dot printing…) old materials, and old cutting methods? Yes.

If and when this does happen, and the market is suddenly flooded with minty, perfectly centered Mickey Mantle cards that are indistinguishable from those already in PSA 8+ slabs - what happens? Do the legitimately worn, and OC copies suddenly become more valuable because they are more easily identifiable as authentic? LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-19-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:01 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If someone could buy a low grade one that would enable them to make a high grade one, the profit would be staggering. This to me doesn't explain it.

Not to mention, couldn’t your model (for example) just be a common ‘52 Topps card and not the Mantle? Maybe not, I don’t know but either way having one to produce profit on many doesn’t seem to me something that would stand in the way for long.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Not to mention, couldn’t your model (for example) just be a common ‘52 Topps card and not the Mantle? Maybe not, I don’t know but either way having one to produce profit on many doesn’t seem to me something that would stand in the way for long.

For commons, it's the same process and same effort. The payday would be the Mantle. But you would probably only get one or two accepted before a lot of questioning.

The problem most fakers have is that they're mostly lazy.
The effort to get a top quality fake is a lot but the reward would be too.
On the other hand, using a cheap fake takes no effort, and apparently gets you thousands.

It's also in the range of just refunding if it gets caught, and a couple thousand probably won't be investigated. Because at that point "I didn't know" just might be all you need.
A couple million or more might cause the faker a lot more trouble.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:44 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

whoops, nevermind.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 12-21-2023 at 07:45 AM.