NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Are 128 bid retractions a lot?

Just wondering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Roger-B...item58af81214b

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Alex

It's all relative.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:24 PM

....but only 70 this month.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Trending upward

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Rob G.

If I understand correctly, the seller receives an email from eBay when a bid is retracted. Wouldn't most sellers ban the bidder after, say, two retractions? Three? Ten? Fifty?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Trending upward
He is on the Adrian Daily Post Plan
Old 05-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
If I understand correctly, the seller receives an email from eBay when a bid is retracted. Wouldn't most sellers ban the bidder after, say, two retractions? Three? Ten? Fifty?
Maybe none were on Rick's items despite the fact that 44 percent of his bidding activity (12475 total bids on 2538 items) were with Rick.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

I actually called eBay about that bidder in that specific auction. I was politely told they don't give a $hit.

Scott
Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Funny with only (550) feedback but managed to have 12475 bids and 70 retractions this month alone. Great stuff!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
I actually called eBay about that bidder in that specific auction. I was politely told they don't give a $hit.

Scott
Yep, pretty much what you're gonna get. Ebay could honestly care less because of potential gains. Unfortunately shilling is the name of the game in this hobby, from Ebay to AHs.....money talks and BS walks, and we all know that "money" has been talking as it relates to this corrupt hobby since the major boom in the 80's. Whenever you combine the human race with an opportunity to make money and cause corruption.....things get stupid REAL fast.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Rick is vigilant.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:09 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Multiple Choice Question

In the past 30 days this bidder has been averaging one bid every 3-4 minutes around the clock (that's 24/7). Do the math 12475 bids in 30 days.

So he must either:

A - have deep pockets

B - want a whole lot of stuff

C - have a lucrative day job that doesn't require any time commitment

D - all of the above

E - other (Fill in the blank ___________________________)

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-20-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Here's what I don't understand and since there are a few lawyers here, maybe they can help. If there can be a pattern shown that there was shilling going on and it was brought to ebay's attention, and if they did nothing about it, couldn't they be considered complicit in that activity? And even more so if this was an ongoing activity across a number of sellers.

I do understand that actual shilling would have to be provable, which is probably the major "rub". But it seems that if enough patterns can be established to bring nefarious activities into question, and ebay actually has better resources to track this (since actually know who the bidders are), it would be in their best interest to crack down harder on bid retractions of this nature. Or are they banking on the assumption that shilling would be extremely difficult to prove?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Here's what I don't understand and since there are a few lawyers here, maybe they can help. If there can be a pattern shown that there was shilling going on and it was brought to ebay's attention, and if they did nothing about it, couldn't they be considered complicit in that activity? And even more so if this was an ongoing activity across a number of sellers.

I do understand that actual shilling would have to be provable, which is probably the major "rub". But it seems that if enough patterns can be established to bring nefarious activities into question, and ebay actually has better resources to track this (since actually know who the bidders are), it would be in their best interest to crack down harder on bid retractions of this nature. Or are they banking on the assumption that shilling would be extremely difficult to prove?
What I have learned about Ebay is this, if the bids don't come from the same computer, pad, or whatever device is used. They will not do anything. Patterns don't matter with them.

Last edited by lharri3600; 05-20-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Rob Ruddy

Seems a tad excessive.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

You guys are gonna feel bad when you find out this bidder is blind in one eye and types with his toes...
Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 PM
David Riley

I would think one retraction is one too many.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharri3600 View Post
What I have learned about Ebay is this, if the bids don't come from the same computer, pad, or whatever device is used. They will not do anything. Patterns don't matter with them.
I'm confused on your statement, or maybe just the purpose of it as it relates to my question. So if the bids come from the same device, they might do something? Because I find it highly unlikely that someone with 128 bid retractions used 128 different devices.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:26 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
I'm confused on your statement, or maybe just the purpose of it as it relates to my question. So if the bids come from the same device, they might do something? Because I find it highly unlikely that someone with 128 bid retractions used 128 different devices.
That was also my concern. Maybe the seller has a lot of friends?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Daryl

Quote:
He probably means that the bids come from the same computer as the seller.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Anthony

I have been on ebay since 2002 and can only remember 1 time retracting a bid in the hundreds of things I won and thousands of things I have bid on
2013 Topps Autograph Set: 84/660 12.72% Complete
2014 Topps Heritage W/SP's: 393/500 78.6% Complete
Old 05-20-2014, 02:38 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
He probably means that the bids come from the same computer as the seller.
Duh. Makes perfect sense now.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharri3600 View Post
Oh, yes they will: they will rewrite their software to close the loophole that they think you used to collect the data on the bidder. That's what they did when they made it impossible to track bidders by name in the wake of the last shilling blow-up. I predict that a year from now there won't be any bidding activity data visible to anyone except the seller, just like it is at a real auction house.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-20-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

I am sure this stuff goes on at the real auction houses. We just can't see it, so we have no problem with it.

I blame Ebay as much if not more than the Probesteins of the world.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Den.nis Mos.ley

Shilling is wrong and it should be stopped, but ebay will never do anything about it. The only way to hurt the guilty parties is not to overpay. I repeat do not overpay, if you do you are playing directly into there hands. I learned a long time ago I would just as soon not have the cards if I pay more than they are worth in my mind. If I do it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hof View Post
Shilling is wrong and it should be stopped, but ebay will never do anything about it. The only way to hurt the guilty parties is not to overpay. I repeat do not overpay, if you do you are playing directly into there hands. I learned a long time ago I would just as soon not have the cards if I pay more than they are worth in my mind. If I do it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
I have to say RunScott made the best point about this in another thread: If you've made up your mind that the card is worth $100, but if the last $50 is because you've been shilled, you are paying $50 more than the card is worth!! Many seem to think that's OK, and that's their choice. But I agree with Scott that it seems crazy. (Not saying many of the things I do don't seem crazy, like spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on $10 baseballs with scribbles on them!)

Ken
Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I have to say RunScott made the best point about this in another thread: If you've made up your mind that the card is worth $100, but if the last $50 is because you've been shilled, you are paying $50 more than the card is worth!! Many seem to think that's OK, and that's their choice. But I agree with Scott that it seems crazy. (Not saying many of the things I do don't seem crazy, like spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on $10 baseballs with scribbles on them!)

Ken
Exactly. Shilling is built into all the prices we believe are fair and reasonable prices. We all overpay on everything we buy.

The auction houses hide it. Nobody complains because we don't see it.

Ebay condones it because it increases their profits. That is all Ebay cares about.

Many of us punish Probestein and PWCC by not bidding because we feel it is wrong that they clearly do nothing and likely engage in it themselves.

My question for all of the Probestein and PWCC haters (me included) is that shouldn't we also be boycotting Ebay?

I can't wait to see a class action lawsuit against Ebay. That will be a happy day for me.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hof View Post
+1. While I understand the logic that when shilling occurs you are being scammed out of the benefit of a bargain you otherwise would have had, my position is that I will decide how much a given item is worth to me, and I won't chase it for more than that.

Best to all,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-21-2014 at 03:40 PM.