NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Jim

Default something fishy help please

http://cgi.ebay.com/18-Different-191...d=p3286.c0.m14

Don't know how to add a link (maybe someone could help) with the above auction... any how seems fishy, can't be 1915 because the back aren't upside down, possible 1914's? all but one #62 match up for 1914's but... and they (specially the backs) just seem odd. any and all opinions would be appreciated. thanks

wow the link did work..cool

Last edited by pitchernut; 07-28-2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: added line
Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Scott

Well, first thing, why so cheap on last day? I would say they may be repros, but can't tell looking at the scans.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Tony N.

Default I would say repro's

They sure look like reprints, look at the extremely white borders. Also, the borders are to wide to be the real deal. I would stay away.
Also red flags - estate sale, can't verify authenticity.

Just my two cents.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Matt Wieder

Agree with Tony. Repros.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yuck

I saw those a while back....I barely take 2 glances at poor fakes anymore....These look like poor fakes to me....
Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Brian T.

Bad '14 reprints in my opinion as well. The borders are too white and too wide. They should more closely match the uniform colors. The font doesn't look right either. Also, have you ever seen such a collection of warn '14 CJs without caramel staining? Not a chance in the world that those are real '14s or '15s.

-Brian
Old 07-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Jim

Default memorex for sure

Kinda figured as much thanks for the input. I just love this board
Old 07-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

The dimensions of those seem off to me for sure. And the colors aren't quite right. Guess that could be the scan, but as Brian said... no caramel staining?

I'd say bad all around.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Frank Wakefield

Those don't just look like reprints, they are.

The backs have been tinkered with so that they look like they might be old. The back borders and front borders should look about the same, these don't. The fonts on the front are consistent with those of reprints.

Absolutely, definitely reprints.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

I think they're reprints.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Absolutely reprints. The forgers just can't quite seem to get the color of the green grass right despite all their efforts. Plus, the backs have that fake stained tea/mildew looking discoloration to make them look old that I have seen on other fakes. Sigh. It was much easier in the old days when the forgers would smear dirt or other material on the backs or even run bicycle tires over them to leave a tread mark to make them look old, to spot the fakes but you can still tell. getting tougher, but these are a no brainer IMHO.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

100% Reprints

The easiest way to tell is the uniform and border on many of the cards should blend together where they meet.

These reprints had the original border cropped and then a new white border added (the new border is always too white compared to the white areas of the picture) and also they needed to redesign a new caption (too dark and bold). They do this so when they rescreen the card in the reprint design they dont get a bunch of print dots in the white border.

Jennings is an easy one to see even in a small scan.

Last edited by fkw; 07-30-2009 at 06:08 PM.