NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Default 1955 Topps Jackie Robinson GAI 10

What are your thoughts on this one:

http://milehighcardco.com/LotDetail....GAI-10-PERFECT

Bottom right corner (near where it says Jackie) looks off to me. Makes me wonder why this card was never crossed over to PSA or SGC - it would have sold for far more than it will imo.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Shaun,

The description says that is was "housed" in a psa holder prior to the gai holder. No collector would ever transfer a card this nice out of a psa holder if it rec'd a 10 - or even a 9 for that matter. They presumably crossed it over to GAI knowing they would get a cushy grade and possibly make more off the sale. It is still a little curious that they even offered that bit of info in the description when it isn't needed. Seems to me that kind of info would hurt the end price rather than help it.

Last edited by 4reals; 05-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Jeff

Pretty card, and prose befitting a 10 cent novel.

Do you think they have a few pops and sit around and see who can come up with the most absurdly nauseating auction descriptions?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-17-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Todd Schultz

I completely agree with Joe. No way it's a crossover 10 or even 9--why risk damage to the card for it to get that slight of a (or no) bump? When was a GAI 10 ever worth more than a PSA 9? Certainly it was never worth more than a PSA 10.

I don't get bogged down in the graded card game, but this language makes me suspicious-- was it once holdered in a PSA "A" slab? Why does the description say "it should be noted that" it was once housed in a PSA holder. Why should it be noted? Why not say what the PSA holder read--better yet, supply the cert#? To me it sounds like seller is trying to imply that PSA gave its blessing, maybe fully so as a 10, yet they won't come out and say so and there remains the possibility that PSA once thought it was altered and only worthy of an "A" grade.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:42 AM
Bill Gregory

Nobody in their right minds would go from a PSA slab to a GAI slab.

Red flags, proceed with caution.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I don't get bogged down in the graded card game, but this language makes me suspicious-- was it once holdered in a PSA "A" slab? Why does the description say "it should be noted that" it was once housed in a PSA holder. Why should it be noted? Why not say what the PSA holder read--better yet, supply the cert#? To me it sounds like seller is trying to imply that PSA gave its blessing, maybe fully so as a 10, yet they won't come out and say so and there remains the possibility that PSA once thought it was altered and only worthy of an "A" grade.
EXACTLY - makes me think it got an "authentic" grade with PSA and it was submitted to GAI just to see if it would get graded without an altered or trimmed notification. If I were to seriously pursue this card I would request the old psa cert number or take my search elsewhere.

Didn't they know by adding that little bit of info it would raise red flags? What were they thinking?

Last edited by 4reals; 05-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Dave Foster

Agree with all comments. Whoever buys this and expects to flip for profit or crack and send to Newport is in for a rude awakening. The description makes me gag.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:16 AM
D Marvin

So.....you go to the trouble of saying "it should be noted that the prior to its existence in the GAI holder the card was housed in a PSA holder" but you don't say what grade the card was while in that holder? Uh Whut'?

The card is a stunner.....but not worth the potential headache
Old 05-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Bill Gregory

Here's the card "freed" from it's plastic prison:

Using Photoshop, I rotated the card 90 degrees CW, and used the rectangular marquee tool to copy the card, laying the selection just along the edges of the card, and pasting it into a new image with a black background. At 100 pixels per inch, I changed the width to 3.75 inches. An untrimmed card would have a height of 2.625 inches ('55 Topps dimensions are 3 3/4" x 2 5/8"). This card measured a height of 2.58".

I can't speak for how cleanly the cards from the '58 Topps set were cut, but if you look at the image, it's pretty clear that they are highly uneven. The height is not what it should be. Again, has it been trimmed? Or is this within the norm based on cutting techniques in 1955?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-19-2013 at 12:28 AM.