NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Reg

Default Question for EBay sellers! Does this ever work???

I've been watching a few T206 cards all with BINs most listed a few times over at 30 days with let's say a price of 350.00 (example) and it doesn't sell. Then when it's relisted the seller ups the price 100.00 or so! WTF?? It didn't sell at the lower price, what's the point of relisting even higher??
Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Frank Wakefield

I know that it works sometimes with used cars... sometimes if something is priced to low then potential buyers suspect something is wrong with it. I doubt that it works with ballcards. And if one does sell later for the higher price, I'd think it would be because the buyer didn't see it earlier at the lower price.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Reg- you're right...there are some seller's that have had the same cards on ebay for close to a year at stupid prices. I don't get it either.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Just a few questions. Did the original listings have a BIN? And do the new(higher) listings have one?

If yes to both. I might suspect that the original listings are the prices the seller was kinda firm on, and rather than let it keep sitting, they're playing some mind games, by upping the ante with a higher price but with a BIN option, in hopes that someone will make an offer based on percentages of that high BIN. This will hopefully bring them somewhere near their original asking price, while allowing the buyer to think he's getting a better deal(based on the percentages).

Now, I'm not saying that this is a plan that will work, but theoretically it makes some sense..

The one thing I never understood was when a card is in a straight auction, and doesn't sell. Then the seller relists it as a straight BIN for nearly double the original starting bid.. But then again, I've missed a few auctions on cards that I wanted that didn't sell, only to see them get relisted and suddenly sell for ridiculously high prices.. Timing is everything, I guess.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Reg

David,

The ones I'm talking about are all BIN only! No auction and No best offer? Straight BIN at one price then re-listed with a straight BIN at a higher price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Just a few questions. Did the original listings have a BIN? And do the new(higher) listings have one?

If yes to both. I might suspect that the original listings are the prices the seller was kinda firm on, and rather than let it keep sitting, they're playing some mind games, by upping the ante with a higher price but with a BIN option, in hopes that someone will make an offer based on percentages of that high BIN. This will hopefully bring them somewhere near their original asking price, while allowing the buyer to think he's getting a better deal(based on the percentages).

Now, I'm not saying that this is a plan that will work, but theoretically it makes some sense..

The one thing I never understood was when a card is in a straight auction, and doesn't sell. Then the seller relists it as a straight BIN for nearly double the original starting bid.. But then again, I've missed a few auctions on cards that I wanted that didn't sell, only to see them get relisted and suddenly sell for ridiculously high prices.. Timing is everything, I guess.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Sounds like the 707sportscards model. Levi loves to hear you only need a couple of cards to finish a set because he has the cards you need and is more than willing to wait until somebody is ready to pay his extortionist prices.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Or the clueless seller

I also love the clueless seller who lists their cards far above many other examples in similar grade. Right now there are several t206 tinker bat on cards listed on eBay with straight BIN prices. All cards are in sgc 40. BIN prices are $160, $145 and $225. They've been sitting there for months with no takers. This week a fourth card shows up with a BIN of $400. SGC Authentic with paper loss on back. Seriously? SGC also mislabelled it as the BAT OFF version. Maybe he hopes to make money on the labeling error. How much better than the other three can the card be that somebody would pull the trigger on that one? I also love to see Levi's PSA 1 sitting there at $155 and another PSA 1 at $150. All these are common backs.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 03-23-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default Couldn't agree more

I don't post that much, but when I do, its usually about this topic. Card sellers are typically not true businessmen. They do not follow the rules of the road for retailers of goods or services. They do not need to turn inventory; they are not driven by market forces; this is not their sole source of income (usually).

We all have stories of seeing the same cards on eBay at BINs or opening bids that never ever EVER move. Suggest to ne of them that a another PSA 5 of X card sold for $250, and that their BIN price of $450 seemed high, and you get blowback of how much better their PSA 5 is than the one that sold, etc., etc. I can point to a series of sale of a key 1941 card, yet there it is in a BIN at hundreds of dollars (40%) higher than the last VCP reported sale. I offered essentially 10% more than the lat couple of sales, and was rebuffed.

Sellers who hold out for ridiculous prices are log-jamming the free flow of inventory in the marketplace, and skewing analyses of market prices.

Individual or small sellers are not immune. I needed a key common from a 1941 set, which Memory Lane had in PSA 7, at a ridiculous price. I made offers and figured out that their discount on BINs was bout 15%. Even at 15%, it was 20% higher than VCP reported sales range, top end. I wind up with the same card, in a PSA 8 holder, at an auction(not eBay), and even with the premium and handling an shipping, it was 12 of what Memory Lane's "discount" would have cost me.

I get the idea of holding out for your price when you don't need to sell the card for a real business purpose, like paying off a business line of credit, or turning your inventory to keep your customers interested, but immovable pricing that persists fro years is just ridiculous.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM

At sale, when I want something to sell asap I'll have a lower price. Then if it isn't sold I raise it to the normal price.

In auction, unsold items can sometimes sell for more after they're relisted at the same or lower minimum bids. So some of the pricing goofiness is due to buyers.

When I was a kid there was a rich man in the neighborhood who had years before invented a complicated computer meteorological system used by private companies. When he invented it he offered it for sale for $2,000 (made up number) but there were to takers, so he had a marketing expert advise him. The marketing advisor said the problem was the sales price was too low. At $2,000, companies will assume it was no good. So the guy raised the sales price to $15,000 and they sold.

As long as I'm on the somewhat off topic invention story. Another neighbor became wealthy as he invented Warfarin, which some of you may have heard of. Until recently and for decades Warfarin was the best selling anticoagulant in the world, used in hospitals for heart attacks, heart valves, blood clots, etc. The funny thing is it's initial use was as a pesticide-- the substance would make the rats and mice bleed to death. It wasn't until later that it's noble human medicinal uses were discovered. But he made money both ways.

Last edited by drc; 03-23-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan View Post
I don't post that much, but when I do, its usually about this topic. Card sellers are typically not true businessmen. They do not follow the rules of the road for retailers of goods or services. They do not need to turn inventory; they are not driven by market forces; this is not their sole source of income (usually).

Sellers who hold out for ridiculous prices are log-jamming the free flow of inventory in the marketplace, and skewing analyses of market prices.

I get the idea of holding out for your price when you don't need to sell the card for a real business purpose, like paying off a business line of credit, or turning your inventory to keep your customers interested, but immovable pricing that persists fro years is just ridiculous.
Amen to that brother! And what DRC says pricing it a little high is ok. But way over the value is rediculous. Some sellers also do not price based upon rarity. A 10% markup for a easy to find card is absurd, but a 10% markup for a card from the 19th century is reasonable enough, maybe even 15% can be done. I think these seller do not follow the market in detail.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
P.hil €lli$

This sounds like a stupid question, but is it the same seller each time?

I was bidding on a HOF T206 card a couple of weeks ago and thought it went for $50 - $100 too much, now this past week someone else has it on eBay with a BIN of an additional $100 added on.

The card sold for I believe $350 and now it is on BIN for $450.......2 different sellers. Obviously the buyer thinks he can make a quick $100 on his purchase.....but not so far.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Belltown Vintage

ebay has changed - sellers are still trying to figure out strategies that work (I know I still am). I have gotten notes from ebayers telling me I'm a fool, my prices are high, my cards are ugly, etc., etc. So I keep trying new strategies to maximize return (sales, lowering prices, raising prices, switching fixed-price auctions to straight and vice versa). Gouging customers is not a good long-term strategy. Buying high and selling low is equally ineffective.

ebay did this to all of us - some of the guys you are insulting are the 'good guys', but I'm sure they understand your frustration and are rolling with it. I have questioned it as well (and gotten beaten here for it), so I get it.

When one of you writes the book on ebay selling strategy that allows sellers to make a reasonable profit, and you guys to get the prices you demand, please attach a pdf to this thread. You'll also need to post a link to that magic place where the sellers can pick up inventory at prices that allow them to give you your cards for those prices.

The pez dispenser days are long-gone.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Reg

The cards I watching/talking about are always with the same seller(s) (not sold just re-listed) I know one of them is a member here so was hoping he/they might chime in??
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
This sounds like a stupid question, but is it the same seller each time?

I was bidding on a HOF T206 card a couple of weeks ago and thought it went for $50 - $100 too much, now this past week someone else has it on eBay with a BIN of an additional $100 added on.

The card sold for I believe $350 and now it is on BIN for $450.......2 different sellers. Obviously the buyer thinks he can make a quick $100 on his purchase.....but not so far.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

The 4 cards T206 Tinker cards are from 3 different sellers. The $160 and $145 priced cards are from the same seller and reflect his perceived variance within the same grade. The $225 and $400 cards are from different sellers who think they have a better strategy.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 03-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
ebay has changed - sellers are still trying to figure out strategies that work (I know I still am). I have gotten notes from ebayers telling me I'm a fool, my prices are high, my cards are ugly, etc., etc. So I keep trying new strategies to maximize return (sales, lowering prices, raising prices, switching fixed-price auctions to straight and vice versa). Gouging customers is not a good long-term strategy. Buying high and selling low is equally ineffective.

ebay did this to all of us - some of the guys you are insulting are the 'good guys', but I'm sure they understand your frustration and are rolling with it. I have questioned it as well (and gotten beaten here for it), so I get it.

When one of you writes the book on ebay selling strategy that allows sellers to make a reasonable profit, and you guys to get the prices you demand, please attach a pdf to this thread. You'll also need to post a link to that magic place where the sellers can pick up inventory at prices that allow them to give you your cards for those prices.

The pez dispenser days are long-gone.
The problem with this analysis for most of the cards I buy is they are not unique cards. They are a commodity and this is the situation that I am amused with. If a card is available from multiple sellers in the same grade and sells for roughly the same price either in an auction or a BIN format, what is the point in selling for double or triple any reported sales? The only thing I can think of is they are trolling for the uninformed buyer. They exist but are getting harder and harder to find.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 03-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 PM

I don't know how reliable an indication are BINs when it includes a make-an-offer. A seller may just be waiting for a reasonable offer above $200, and feels whether than BIN is set $500 or $5,000 or $50,000 is neither here nor there. If it was up to him, perhaps he would have no BIN, just the make-an-offer button. The BIN price is something eBay forces him to do if he wants people to make offers.

Last edited by drc; 03-23-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
The problem with this analysis for most of the cards I buy is they are not unique cards. They are a commodity and this is the situation that I am amused with. If a card is available from multiple sellers in the same grade and sells for roughly the same price either in an auction or a BIN format, what is the point in selling for double or triple any reported sales? The only thing I can think of is they are trolling for the uninformed buyer. They exist but are getting harder and harder to find.
Brian, I wonder the same thing. My guess is that they either don't realize it, or they think the other example is priced way low and they are hoping it sells so that theirs might eventually. But I will stick with my thought that it's a bad business model to try to gouge one person one time - much better to make a fair profit and have returning customers. At a nickel per 30 days, it's not costly for a seller to attempt the former.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Zach

I think one of the problems is, is that sellers are buying high and selling high. I saw a SGC 20 Dimaggio go for about $675 which I thought was high enough in auction he is now trying to sell it for $899. It is crazy enough it sold for $675, so why buy that high and sell a lot higher?

In defense of Ebay, it is the ultimate garage sale, let's face it, we get more bids and more attention to our items then anywhere else we would sell things. If I sold my cards in my garage one day, they either would not sell or I would get super low ball offers and have to accept that, especially if I needed money within less than 30 days. Ebay is fast, convenient and you gain maximum exposure. The key is, is to not buy high then sell high, and also list items properly. For example if you want to sell a Leaf Satchel Paige card, list it as 1949,1948,Leaf,satchel,satchell Paige rookie. If you can fit all of that. Then you will attact those that can't spell his last name and also those that can't decide if it's 48 or 49 Leaf. This is one of my strategies whenever I sell items and my sales are usually higher than I forecast and go above book value or at book value. My items also appear in several search results instead of just one.
I am not too worried about ebay fees, if I was to sell an item I would take to approximate fees amount into consideration.
If someone has no choice but to buy high from someone else, well, I don't know what to say to that.

Last edited by zljones; 03-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Just do like I do and never search on BIN, but auctions only.

I don't even waste my time with BIN, I've never seen any card of any substance listed at a market price on a BIN.

BIN is apparently an online museum of baseball cards. Maybe they hope the cards get stolen so they can get insurance money based on the BIN price or something......

Last edited by David W; 03-23-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 03-23-2012, 07:10 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
I also love the clueless seller who lists their cards far above many other examples in similar grade. Right now there are several t206 tinker bat on cards listed on eBay with straight BIN prices. All cards are in sgc 40. BIN prices are $160, $145 and $225. They've been sitting there for months with no takers. This week a fourth card shows up with a BIN of $400. SGC Authentic with paper loss on back. Seriously? SGC also mislabelled it as the BAT OFF version. Maybe he hopes to make money on the labeling error. How much better than the other three can the card be that somebody would pull the trigger on that one? I also love to see Levi's PSA 1 sitting there at $155 and another PSA 1 at $150. All these are common backs.
Burbank sportscards just upped the ante by listing a GAI 2.5 Tinker Bat On for $488.60 and a GAI 4 for over $800.

Ridiculous

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 03-23-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:36 AM

how about the dealer who lists a card for 275 or best offer, and then he is only willing to come down to 270. why waste everyones time with a best offer? just list at 270 if that is your bottom price
Old 03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Here's one that worked

McAvoy had this "gem" listed on ebay for a LONG time, asking $100.00. Somehow it wound up with a new seller, who recently listed it with a BIN of $195.00 and accepted a best offer of $150.00. In addition to being one of the most overgraded cards I have ever seen--could there be more distracting scuffing/paper loss on the front?--it also seems a real headscratcher how cards like these are ignored forever and then scooped up. An impatient newbie who didn't notice the history?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 03-24-2012 at 12:53 PM.