NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Setting up to be a 50s - 70s dealer

Recently I have been thinking I want to start setting up at some local shows (hi Rich) and maybe some in the Northeast or Midwest too. I have a decent idea of pre-war stuff.
That being said I need to learn more about how much to pay for these large groups of 50s-70s cards I am seeing. What are collectors buying at shows? I haven't watched a whole lot of this eras sales. Any hints?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 AM
Rich Klein

We'll talk. I'll be happy to assist you. I will tell you that what you purchased in Scott's auctions are a good start towards that purpose. I'll guide you even towards what auctions would be best for you

Rich
Old 03-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Recently I have been thinking I want to start setting up at some local shows (hi Rich) and maybe some in the Northeast or Midwest too. I have a decent idea of pre-war stuff.
That being said I need to learn more about how much to pay for these large groups of 50s-70s cards I am seeing. What are collectors buying at shows? I haven't watched a whole lot of this eras sales. Any hints?
Leon. A lot of buyers love the 50's rookies. Aaron, clemente, Mays, Mantle, Koufax, Banks. Try the Boston show for the northeast. Shriners show is great for vintage.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:34 PM
je.sse @rnot

Good luck with the new venture. I can't offer much in terms of advice on how to be a dealer, but I will be a customer if you pick up some nice 50s or 60s rookies.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:03 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

broadly speaking, i'd stick w/ the names previously mentioned in basic topps form, hof rcs, well centered cards and the infamous set years...52, 57, 65, 71 topps, etc. strong following for 75 regular and minis. not a fan of this set, but i definitely seem to be in the minority there.

54 topps seem to be picking up steam price wise.

lemme know when ya get some decent inventory and i'll be glad to send ya my look for list....
Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I'll be in DFW for Rich's shows and others. As I'm sure you know, that stuff right in my wheelhouse. I'll be happy to help in any way.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:58 AM

I've been working on starting up something similar focusing on (as my username would suggest) mid 50's baseball cards. I have been picking up several lots on ebay but I'm pretty new at it so I really have no basis of comparison to know whether or not what I'm paying is "good" nor for that matter do I really know for sure whether or not what I am trying to sell stuff for is good, lol. So if anyone has any pointers for a newbie who's trying to get a foot in the door it would be greatly appreciated. I've been collecting off and on for about as long as I can remember and have dallied a bit here in there in buying and selling but this is my first foray into really trying to do it in an organized sort of business minded approach and I'm kinda winging it as I go.
1954 Topps Raw Set: 219/250 (87.60%)
1955 Topps Raw Set: 192/206 (93.20%)
1956 Topps Raw Set: 267/340 (78.53%)
WTB thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221389
Old 03-31-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid50sbaseball View Post
I've been working on starting up something similar focusing on (as my username would suggest) mid 50's baseball cards. I have been picking up several lots on ebay but I'm pretty new at it so I really have no basis of comparison to know whether or not what I'm paying is "good" nor for that matter do I really know for sure whether or not what I am trying to sell stuff for is good, lol. So if anyone has any pointers for a newbie who's trying to get a foot in the door it would be greatly appreciated. I've been collecting off and on for about as long as I can remember and have dallied a bit here in there in buying and selling but this is my first foray into really trying to do it in an organized sort of business minded approach and I'm kinda winging it as I go.
What this guy says!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Leon, will you be at the Strongsville show 4/15-17? They are an advertiser here and its a great vintage show. 1970s is modern for that show.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Leon, don't forget the great Pacific Northwest!
Shows are the first Saturday of June and November.
You've seen us rave about the fun we have, come see for yourself.
Bring all the PCL material from the couch cushions, that's like PacNW Gold

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Guys
Thanks for the responses. I ordered 6 cases a few days ago and a small utility dolly/card 3 in 1. I have a few things from the 1950s-1970s but will be hunting for more. Thanks again for the pointers so far....

and Matt et al.....if I see ya'll in person I will take all the pointers I can get. If Rich has a table at his next show I might set up at it to get my feet wet. Once other things and inventory get worked out I think my wife and I will do some traveling to do some shows but that is several months out......East to Midwest to West and anywhere in between.....
Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Definitely, definitely, definitely set up some 'cheap' bins full of cards. When I go to shows and there are a ton of people selling absolutely nothing because of their ridiculous pricing, there are always tons of people digging through the "$1 a piece," "3 cards for $7," etc., plastic bins. These are filled with a wide variety of stuff from the 50's on up with some HOF'ers and what not, and as the saying goes, they put asses in the seats. It's a great way to grab additional revenue from cards that would otherwise never be sought out. Plus, you can chat up collectors like me while we're digging and maybe that could lead to bigger sales.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 03-31-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Definitely, definitely, definitely set up some 'cheap' bins full of cards. When I go to shows and there are a ton of people selling absolutely nothing because of their ridiculous pricing, there are always tons of people digging through the "$1 a piece," "3 cards for $7," etc., plastic bins. These are filled with a wide variety of stuff from the 50's on up and, with some HOF'ers and what not, and as the saying goes, they put asses in the seats. It's a great way to grab additional revenue from cards that would otherwise never be sought out. Plus, you can chat up collectors like me while we're digging and maybe that could lead to bigger sales.
+1 I even do off grade 70's quarter boxes. The cards fly out the door. Usually a dealer will make me an offer on what I have left at the end of the show.