NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-27-2018, 07:43 AM

Default 1964 Topps set break Top Tier Collectible

Does anyone know where the results of the drawing are posted ?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:46 PM

They emailed me the results... I won The Mantle card. I never get lucky and I had no idea I won it when I posted this thread.

Cool raffle...for 20 dollars you got 4 cards assigned to you at random.
The drawing was done live on facebook (which I dont belong).
The video is now posted on youtube.
Really cool way to get a set sold.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:53 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Congratulations Scott!

It's not half a billion, but the way things are going, in few years who knows! But seriously - really cool you won the Mantle. Enjoy.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:41 AM

Thanks Howard !!!
Old 08-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Robert J. Miller

Did you get it yet? Post a scan!

Congrats on the Mantle.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:54 AM

I got the card... Stained on back and definitely trimmed. I won't be participating in there raffles anymore. I would be okay with it if the stated that up front. Oh well... What can you do.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I would reach out to them and/or mention this to Leon. They pay to advertise those promotions and the listing said how they combed through the cards meticulously and nothing was under a VG. Seems disingenuous that the top card offered would be trimmed and not mentioned.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I got the card... Stained on back and definitely trimmed. I won't be participating in there raffles anymore. I would be okay with it if the stated that up front. Oh well... What can you do.
That sucks, what a bunch of BS.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Yea that's terrible. I didn't hear about this break was it advertised here? How much could it have cost to find a 64 Mantle in vg?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:51 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Yea that's terrible. I didn't hear about this break was it advertised here? How much could it have cost to find a 64 Mantle in vg?
Pretty sure you can easily get a VGEX for around $75 without a ton of effort. It’s one of the easiest Mantle base cards to get. I think I have two graded 4’s and they were definitely in the $60-$75 range.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 AM

I heard about the set break here. I am going to contact them. I will let everyone know about the outcome.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Can you post a pic of the card here, maybe next to another unaltered 1964 card?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I heard about the set break here. I am going to contact them. I will let everyone know about the outcome.
Has Stephen made this right with you yet? I see he has been on the forum several tomes since the Mantle was said to be trimmed with a stain on the back. Can't believe this isn't a bigger deal on the forum.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I don't believe the auction was one this forum or I was associated with. I hear about lots of stuff on here though. And Stephen M, above, was incorrect about this auction. I always stand behind this venue's endeavors. Had it been advertised here it would have been handled already.

Last edited by Leon; 08-16-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:37 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't believe the auction was one this forum or I was associated with. I hear about lots of stuff on here though. And Stephen M, above, was incorrect about this auction. I always stand behind this venue's endeavors. Had it been advertised here it would have been handled already.
I said they pay to advertise these promotions on here. How is that incorrect?

This wasn't a shot at you Leon. I was pointing out that they used this forum to advertise this promotion so you might want to be aware of the situation.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...errerid=621627
Old 08-16-2018, 12:20 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post

This wasn't a shot at you Leon. I was pointing out that they used this forum to advertise this promotion so you might want to be aware of the situation.

There is a Mantle in the second row of the ad in the above thread? Is that the same card?
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post

My mistake. Yes they did but I knew they had done a few off of the board too. I didn't realize they had advertised it here as a paid ad.
On this one, I too would like to know the outcome. I don't think I want to be liable for that auction but it will definitely affect their future auctions on this board if that situation isn't handled correctly. Hope that makes some sense....
Old 08-16-2018, 05:42 PM

I left a phone message and never got a call back. Does anyone have a phone number or email to get in touch with them. I scanned the mantle card and have it on my photo bucket but U am having trouble posting it. It won't allow me to copy the URL.
Scott
Old 08-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Ben North

Pic of the card in question. The links to the other pics did not work in his email. If I get them to work I will add them later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantletrimmed.jpg (31.8 KB, 157 views)
Old 08-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default From their website

E-Mail: sales@toptiercollectibles.com

Phone: (800) 274-2371

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 08-16-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:11 PM
Ben North

Here is a pic of the stained back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantletrimmed1.jpg (40.3 KB, 172 views)
Old 08-16-2018, 07:22 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Here is a pic of the stained back.
Honestly this is an embarrassment. This is a 64 Mantle not a 53 Mantle. This card isn’t a hard one to get in VGEX condition for a promotion like this.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:29 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I left a phone message and never got a call back. Does anyone have a phone number or email to get in touch with them. I scanned the mantle card and have it on my photo bucket but U am having trouble posting it. It won't allow me to copy the URL.
Scott
Has Stephen ever got back to you? Maybe you should post what happened on every forum he posts on and post it on his facebook page.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Literally had no idea this was going on u til moments ago when a board member called my cell phone. I am at an engagement party and will get back to everyone in a few hours. I’m obviously standing behind any product I sell, and had no idea it was trimmed either or it would not have even been included in the break. Anyone that has ever done business with me before knows I am the last person you’d have to worry about getting ripped off from. It was a set I took on consignemt from a Net54 member specifically for this reason. In the interim could someone please post the emails they have sent me as I have not received anything at all.

More to come but please post these communications which I did not respond to with time dates. Thanks
Old 08-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

I have reached out to the member who won the Mantle a few moments ago. I am obviously going to make things right. I have done everything I possibly can to ensure my customers are happy from day 1, and would never do anything intentionally to put that in jeopardy as this is my Livlihood.

I just ask that rather than starting a thread like this, you first contact me and let me attempt to make things right. I really had no idea this was going on yet there are people in this thread calling for my company to be put on every forum on the internet? That doesn’t seem fair or right.

Sorry again to the person who felt misled. We will make it right without a doubt.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Scott Russell

Problem is, in essence, everyone was misled. In a 1964 set the Mantle is the card everyone who participates is hoping to get. If they knew the Mantle was no good would they have bought a spot? Also the disgruntled buyer did try and contact you repeatedly, so saying "contact me instead of starting a thread" doesn't really play here.

I've defended you in the past when I thought you were in the right, but other than undoing the entire break, or at least offering refunds to any who feel misled, this is a tough situation. Then the only people who don't ask for refunds are the guys who got more than their $20 worth, so you're taking an even worse hit than a total do-over, because you've refunded the guys who "lost" and only gotten back the much less valuable cards.

Crappy situation all the way around. Hope you all work it out.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-19-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Scott, I was never contacted. I have checked spam etc. I’m not sure what proof you have to him contacting me many times, but id like to see proof. If the Mantle was trimmed, I’m assuming that replacing it with the same card (not trimmed) is all that would need to be done since that is what people were in the contest for as you said. Not looking to argue. I want to make it right to the buyer. I don’t understand how else I can say that he never contacted me though.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Scott Russell

He claims in this thread to have tried several times, I just took him at his word. Frankly I'm not sure the Mantle is trimmed, it certainly isn't obvious, but that stain is pretty undeniable. I personally think you're one of the good guys, just a sticky situation. I hope it works out for all.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-19-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Scott, I was never contacted. I have checked spam etc. I’m not sure what proof you have to him contacting me many times, but id like to see proof. If the Mantle was trimmed, I’m assuming that replacing it with the same card (not trimmed) is all that would need to be done since that is what people were in the contest for as you said. Not looking to argue. I want to make it right to the buyer. I don’t understand how else I can say that he never contacted me though.
The only thing that matters is the card is not as described. Buy the gentleman a card that fits what he should have received. He should also get to keep the original card for the "mistake" of getting a crap card. JMHO
Old 08-19-2018, 02:56 PM
Scott Russell

Oh, and FWIW there is a certain logic to making a thread before contact. If I contact a bad seller and he doesn't grant me what I feel is fair relief then I have to threaten him with a thread which smacks of extortion. I think if a thread is done fairly: "Hey, here's a situation I have with "x" I'll let you know how it works out." it's not the worst thing in the world, as long as the information is honest and resolution is shared.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The only thing that matters is the card is not as described. Buy the gentleman a card that fits what he should have received. He should also get to keep the original card for the "mistake" of getting a crap card. JMHO

I have reached out to him. Just waiting for his response. This should be resolved shortly. I’m actually going to have him send it back to me Ben and I will send it in for grading as I like Scott am not so sure this card is trimmed. Since that is the premise of this whole conversation, I’d love to see what a third party has to say. Either way I want my buyers to always feel comfortable and please so I’ll replace the card 100%.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:21 PM

This may be a little premature -Stephen and I have been in contact, and he was very professional. We reached an agreement we are both very comfortable with- I am relieved. I should be receiving a new Mantle to replace the stained / trimmed one in about a week or so.

When the new one arrives, I will let everyone know that the matter has been resolved. I will have no problem participating in any upcoming set breaks.
Thanks, Stephen, for doing the right thing. This is a good community of collectors, and it is nice to have someone rectify a situation, especially after the terrible things that happened in White Plains last weekend.

Scott
Old 01-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

So this thread is one of the main reasons I have stopped posting on here. A few people in this thread (doesn't take much reading to see who) wanted to tarnish my name more than anything. I am so tired of internet experts chiming in when in fact they are far from it. Needless to say, I had the Mantle graded as I was sure it was good. Guess what... It was a VGEX (WITH THE STAIN) meaning it was more like a 6.

Anyways, I will go back to doing what I have been doing....

In the meantime, here are the photos...