NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Album-w-20-Real-Photo-Baseball-Tobacco-Cards_W0QQitemZ320196564737

What were the cards/images in this album aside from the 2 T200s on the first page?

I certainly did not bid - 0 feedback; fishy item. Just wondering if those other images were anything interesting or just a scam.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: Martin Neal

I was wondering what it was too. I didn't feel comfortable enough to bid and I kept forgeting to email the seller for some explanations. The photos definately looked funny.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: keyway

I wrote the guy and asked him about it when I first read the add. He wrote me back and said I could buy it for $200. No other info. I then wrote him and asked for his phone number because I had some questions but never received an a message back. He has 0 feedback and so did the guy who bid on it up to over $100. Looked them up and both joined ebay the same day. Decided not to buy or bid on it but I wish I knew what was in the book. Oh well.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Don't know about the Fatima's, but the photos were definitely not first generation period photos. I had it in my watchlist too, just to watch. Looks like now he's got a bunch of nudie 1950s photos up and another Fatima team card. If I was a betting man, I'd put money on scammer.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: Iggy...

I also emailed him a couple of times with questions and never received a reply. So I just watched. No way, was I going to send money to this individual. If we are taking a vote, I vote for a scam.

-Lovely Day, Iggy...

Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I was watching it to. I got even more scared when he added the 20 free nude photos!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: dstudeba

As Dan mentioned the photos didn't look close to first generation, so I just passed.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: Max Weder

It didn't look right to me, as some photos were clearly not first generation.

As well, the photos seem to have been taken down from the completed auction (unless my work is simply blocking the nude photos )

He has another fatima team photo of the Yankees up for auction now, which is stated to have fallen out of a 1950s album

Max

Old 12-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: Paul Moss

I had originally put in a bid of 150, with a healthy snipe bid for this AM. I was uneasy about the deal (of course), but what caused me to cancel the snipe was his listing of the Yankee team card and the fact that he used the term "Top Loader" in this new listing. Red flag time.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Paul - very astute.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: leon

I think everyone that searches ebay saw this listing. I thought the 2 Fatimas looked fine but the rest of the stuff looked like crap. That, with the 0 feedback, led me to not bid. Sometimes the "sh** to equity" ratio isn't strong enough for me to get involved. Not enough equity for the potential sh**. This was one of those instances.....

Old 12-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

This seems to be a dangerous kind of scam - taking some authentic things and mixing them with crap. If the seller at least delivers what was purchased the winner shouldn't be out too badly.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'd be willing to bet the Fatima's are fake as well. These guys who make these photos are very good at fooling people....I've seen them make some very good real photo postcards that have fooled some of the bigtime postcard collectors..Wish I knew where to find the old threads, but they were all posted here years ago. There was one guy who was even buying old out of date photo paper (Velox) and selling photos as "period photos".

Old 12-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default What Was This?

Posted By: Jeff Shepherd

There has definitely been an increase in reproduced photos finding their way into collecting circles/shows in recent years. I recall a grouping of Indian Motorcycle "real" photo postcards popping up, as well as misc. sports themes. Even heard about people replicating the daguerreotype process with frightening accuracy - although this rarely seems to apply to baseball - a bit too early.