NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Be.n C0z1n

Default 1958-1961 All Star Subsets

These are always valued lower than the Regular Cards from the set. A 60 Mantle All Star is worth less than the Regular 1960 Mantle... etc... I was wondering why these cards are worth less. To those old enough, what did you prefer when trading / opening packs back in the day. I think the All Star cards are cool, and certainly harder to come by being high numbers and all.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Rich Klein

Because more collectors (by a wide margin) prefer the regular issue cards. Back in the late 1970's, I bought up as many of the Hi # superstars from that era real cheap as they were underpriced.

Nearly 40 years later, nothing much has changed in terms of collecting interest and those cards being underpriced.

That is especially true for 59-60; the 61's are pretty fairly priced as they are much more difficult

Rich
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 AM

Default 1958-1961 All Star Subsets

I actually prefer the all star cards to the regular issues. I can get a nice card of a superstar/HOFer for a fraction of the price for the regular issue.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:03 AM
David M.

That used to be true of all the "special" cards that pictured multiple stars too. These cards could be picked up for relative bargain prices. But over the years these cards have been catching up.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:04 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

A lot of the 58's were double prints and wasn't the mantle considered a triple print?
Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
A lot of the 58's were double prints and wasn't the mantle considered a triple print?
I believe you are right. The Musial was triple print as well.
Drew
Old 08-25-2014, 06:21 AM
Tom Boblitt

I really like the 1958's and 1961's. The 1961's are a bear to find with really nice centering.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Default As a 9-year-old in 1958...

As a 9-year-old in 1958, I loved the All-Star cards. Jordan's Variety Store in North Deering (Portland), Maine, where I bought my cards in 1957-58, got the all-star series in September, as I recall. Upon opening a couple of packs (limited budget in those days, too) I was confused by the Sport Magazine mention but the stars really appealed to my young eyes.

For my one- or five-cent purchases (with gum), I preferred the all-star cards (to a player's regular card) in those days - and multiple-player cards were especially cherished. Team cards were off the charts popular with me.

Last edited by SteveMitchell; 09-05-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-06-2014, 02:03 PM

skelly---

I always ranked the regular issue card above the all-star card. That being said, the all-star card was still very important to me, sort of a nice commemorative card extolling the player's selection to a distinguished All-Star team. The fact many of them were in the seventh series certainly did play a part at making them special.

My favorite year was 1961, as that was the first year I began collecting cards. I only got one nickel wax pack of cards from that series. Guess that's why I really cherish that year, though mainly because I was with my busy dad, who bought me the pack on a late summer or early fall evening. The '61 All-Star design was truly stunning.

As you may recall, the Mickey Mantle card that famed NBC sports broadcaster Bob Costas has carried in his wallet for many years is Mick's 1958 Topps All-Star, a beaute. He probably got it when he was a kid. I always thought that was neat.

--Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 09-06-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: The addition of a few details made for a better response.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Dustin Bellinger

This thread actually inspired me to pick up the Musial and Mathews from the 58 set today. Considering building the whole all star subset from this year. Looks like it can be acquired for pretty reasonable prices. Ted Williams looks to be the most expensive pick up.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Frank Hay-zer

Default Topps All Star cards

I have always though that this subset is awesome. I have mostly been a pre-war collector but for me, these cards are too much to resist...here are my favorites. Autographed examples of this set have been my recent chase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maris.jpg (78.0 KB, 340 views)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Shortly after this thread began I came across these twin 58 AS and decided I wanted to get all of them. Since this thread inspired it was going to use it to update my progress. Will start with the HOFers. Here are the first two with another on the way.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I believe you are right. The Musial was triple print as well.
Drew
They pulled four other cards for two extras of each of these IIRC. Not sure what the actual ratio as one of the print runs or sheets didn't have the TP's but the Musial and Mantle AS cards are abundant.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 PM

Default Some 1961's

Old 09-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Default All Stars

I just picked up the 1958 Banks, Mantle and Musial as a lot in the latest LOTG auction. I normally collect only Pirates, but these looked so cool, I had to try to get them.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Added a couple more. Got my sights set on adding Mantle, Mays, or Aarron next.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Posting an update on my progress with this. Up to 8 of the 12 HOFers from the subset. Targeting the Mantle now.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Patrick N.

Default Like

I like the '58 AS sub-set, here's my 2:

Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Here is what I did with two of mine.
Drew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Very cool display Drew.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Default Spahn All Star 1958 Topps

These were graded a long long time ago... I had to overtweak the Brightness and Contrast settings in order for the scanner to overcome the depth of the two different slabs and show the cards.....I'm getting a new scanner with CCD someday real soon... I promise...
Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Erik

Default Hart to Hart

I remember watching an episode of Hart to Hart in the early 1980's that featured a young boy who inherited a vintage collection of baseball cards from his deceased father.

The long and short of it was as Jonathan Hart flipped cards towards the end of the episode, a 1958 Topps All-Star of Stan Musial was shown and I instantly fell in love with this sub set. As a teen I finished putting the sub set together a few years later and still have it to this day.

The 1958 Topps All-Star sub set remains my favorite of my modest collection.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think the 60s and 61s are better-designed than the regular issue cards.

Best All Star set ever, though, IMO 1969:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Larry

The '61' were from the high number series and relatively tough relative to the rest of the set. I haven't the faintest clue how they have appreciated, however, since I went pre-war quite some time ago. Still have the Maris in raw NMT+. The '58 Musial is interesting as his first Topps card.

Larry
Old 04-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Bumping this old thread now that I have officially completed building the subset it inspired. I acquired the last card I needed (Mantle) a few months back but with the Mantle and a handful of the other non-HOF cards being raw I didn't feel like it was really finished until I got them all into SGC holders.

With budget constraints and wandering focus I spent a bit over a year acquiring them all. Finding them in SGC holders especially on the minor stars was the toughest challenge. After grading costs the Mantle cost me about $40. Spent about that much on the Williams. All others were picked up for $25 or less with most of the HOFers in the $15-$20 range. Lost track of the total cost I spent on it along the way but I think it was around $350 or so.

Constructed this collage of them all from the individual scans. The alternating colors in this three row layout really looks cool to me even if several of them are on the rough side. Also, the star power of that 2nd row is just amazing. Everyone a HOF member and only 1 that was not a league MVP.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Al Richter

Default 1958

Very nice, Dustin
Old 04-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Michael

Dustin, that looks great. I think the only changes I would make would be to switch Musial with Temple and Spahn with Friend. That would get two more "heavyweights" near the center.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Looks awesome!
Old 04-16-2016, 03:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Bumping this old thread now that I have officially completed building the subset it inspired. I acquired the last card I needed (Mantle) a few months back but with the Mantle and a handful of the other non-HOF cards being raw I didn't feel like it was really finished until I got them all into SGC holders.

With budget constraints and wandering focus I spent a bit over a year acquiring them all. Finding them in SGC holders especially on the minor stars was the toughest challenge. After grading costs the Mantle cost me about $40. Spent about that much on the Williams. All others were picked up for $25 or less with most of the HOFers in the $15-$20 range. Lost track of the total cost I spent on it along the way but I think it was around $350 or so.

Constructed this collage of them all from the individual scans. The alternating colors in this three row layout really looks cool to me even if several of them are on the rough side. Also, the star power of that 2nd row is just amazing. Everyone a HOF member and only 1 that was not a league MVP.
Very nice, and nice to see diversity in the collecting hobby too!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Dustin, that looks great. I think the only changes I would make would be to switch Musial with Temple and Spahn with Friend. That would get two more "heavyweights" near the center.
The arrangement was actually just placing them in order of their card numbers but I like your idea.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:09 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Very nice looking subset. I am currently working on the All Star subsets from all the 60s Topps sets.
James
Old 04-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post

Very nice indeed, Dustin.

I have the same sub set, though not graded. I wouldn't trade or sell it for anything.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 PM
je.sse @rnot

I often wondered the same thing, especially as a kid. If a Mantle card is worth x and an Aaron is worth y, shouldn't a card with both be worth some value greater than x or y? I may have been biased as the 58 topps Mantle Aaron card was the only vintage card in my collection at the time.

I couldn't understand the difference in value of the all star cards either. They were from the same set and looked great to me.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-18-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Dustin...great graded subset...extremely cool.

What about the uniqueness of the 1960 Topps Willie McCovey? I have to believe that this is the only example, especially of a HOFer, where they issued and All Star card the same year as his rookie card? I like his AS card much better than the regular issue...and even that was in a special rookie subset.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-19-2016, 07:07 AM
Tyler

Those look GREAT all together. When I first started collecting Vintage, the 58 Mantle AS, was the one that I targeted first.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:41 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Here are a couple pictures of my completed 1960 All Star subset.
James

Old 05-25-2016, 01:53 PM

Still my favorite Mantle:

Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I was looking through my Stan Musial collection and admiring his 58 All Star card and started to wonder why isn't he represented in any other Topps All Star cards except the 58? He made every All Star game in his career so why only the one card? From 59 through 63 he has a regular issue card as well as three other "special cards" but no AS.
Anyone have any answers or insight on this?
Drew
Old 05-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I always liked the 1961 subset the best, those color pix just pop off the page.