NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Default ebay question- please help

Posted By: david poses

I sold a bunch of cards last week- most of which were won by one bidder (100% positives, about 1500 feedbacks). Its nearly a week later and I finally heard from the buyer, who has indicated that he will try to pay me by 4/24 or 5/4 the latest (no, the dates aren't typos). I did not indicate any sort of "payment must be received by" in the auction, but this seems a bit outrageous. I have 100% positive feedback (around 275 feedbacks). Not sure how to proceed. I sent the buyer an email expressing my discomfort with the situation. The value of the cards is about $500 combined).

Any opinions?

ALso, The last line of his non-apologetic email was: "Have you excepted Jesus as your savior?" As a Jew with excellent spelling skills, I am more displeased than if he simply said he couldn't buy what he bid on.

Any suggestions welcome.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Can't you remove him as the winning bidder? 5-6 weeks is extremely outrageous. He should have at least contacted you before the auction was over and asked if this would have been acceptable.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator

interesting idea. how do i remove him as the winning bidder?

I'm sure it goes without saying that this isn't about the money as much as its about me not wanting to have less than 100% positives because this guy decided to bid on a bunch of cards he can't pay for.

Can I relist the items at this point? I suspect that even if I was fine with the month long wait, I'm never going to get paid for these cards. Plus, I'm going to find a reason to keep them unless I relist fast.

Thanks again.
d

Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

David - I think he was correct - we have indeed "excepted" Jesus as our savior.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator

I forgot about excepting Jesus as savior. Now everything is ok. Good point. Thanks Matt.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew S.

David, can you out the person so he can be placed in blocked bidder lists? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank L.

Never run into anyone taking so long to pay when I sold on ebay.

I would write to him and state it is UNACCEPTABLE to wait that long for payment, and you need payment "now". Based on his response I would then answer. If he says he cant, you either wait or tell him you will have to relist the items.

Frank L.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

David

What you can do is file a NPB with ebay.

You then can offer it to the underbidder or relist the item.

IMO 10 days is long enough to wait for payment.

His reference to Jesus was also out of line.

Once you file he can respond to it. He can also leave you a neg.

If he does not respond to it after 7 or 10 days from when you filed

he loses that option. You do the NPB to get back your fees too.

You can also do it in a way where you make it seem like it is being done mutally, that way you don't p him off.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jb

After 7 days you can file npb with ebay and recoup your listing fees. However, you still have the problem of selling the cards when you already probably needed the funds. You can offer a second chance to the next highest bidder if applicable. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JohnnyH

As others have said, let him know this is unexceptable !

Old 03-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Poses

Thanks. It's easier to except this with all of your help. I sent the buyer a "tame" email explaining my side. Of course, by this point, I've talked mysef into keeping all of the cards for a new sub-focus of my collection: "cards I tried to get to get rid of but couldn't." (my wife will be thrilled).

As for outing the buyer, what's the consensus? At what point is it ok to out him?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

My vote is to "out" him if you're talking vintage material. If not, no, as it wouldn't really affect us.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Why can't you still sell them?

Steve

Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bilko G

Just file a non paying bidder after 7 days , get your listing fees back and re-list. Simple as that. I've have had to do just that at least 100+ times in 6+ years on ebay.com.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

Open a Non Paying Bidder claim. Sometimes that's all you need to do and you'll get paid. Seems I've had a few customers lately who just don't pay until I do this. It lets them know you're serious and gets them moving a bit.

Then close the claim after you get paid.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

my 2 cents

I agree about filing a non-pay to eBay on this clown. I'd keep the cards and in future auctions I'd make it abundantly clear that payment is due within 7 business days of the close of the auction.

I once had a "gentleman's agreement" about a buyer purchasing cards from me. After two weeks of silence I lit the fire and told him I had to have a definite answer within 2 days of the email. The response was pathetic, telling me he had a couple of CDs maturing in August...well, August at that time was more than 5 months away. Needless to say, no deal was made.

As for outing the guy...what's the point? There may be repercussions for doing so, I'd be a bit careful here.

GL with this unpleasant experience.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew S.

"As for outing the guy...what's the point? There may be repercussions for doing so, I'd be a bit careful here."

The point being that there is this thing called a "blocked bidder list" and many of the posters here are eBay sellers, who don't appreciate deadbeats showing up to bid on their auctions. Deadbeats are outed routinely all across the web, and rightly so.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

I would not openly post the name of a deadbeat payer in this forum. I have however shared deadbeat (or worse) info in private with those I know that collect what I collect. And, I agree the deadbeat should be blocked and I've done so.

Besides, the rules clearly state that you cannot post any personal info, etc without permission. Don't you think to out the deadbeat in the original message (posting his eBay ID),without "permission" is indeed a violation of this rule? This is what I was trying to elude to without being specific.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I don't think posting an eBay ID with truthful information with the intent of helping others is against the forum rules.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david Poses

update:
I received an email from the buyer. This is the email, copy/pasted, for your enjoyment:

---
David, I can understand> My wife is only getting 12 hrs a week, if that . I will dug up the money& pay you tomorrow. When I get my check, I would lie to buy some more cards if you have some i need from you I need. Have a blessed day in Jesus name!!!
---

While surely it goes without saying that I feel badly that the seller's wife is barely getting 12 hours a week (I am assuming he means "of work," and I am also assuming that whatever she does is not very lucrative), this is still UNEXCEPTABLE to me. So I wrote and said that if I didn't receive payment before noon today, I would contact eBay via the "buyer didn't pay" thing. (Thanks to everyone who shared that route with me- I barely ever sell anything on eBay, so I had no idea what my recourse was).

To answer the question someone asked: "Why can't you sell the cards now?" - The cards I sold were either duplicates which I upgraded or did not fit into my current focus: "Yankees/Highlanders ONLY." Because I have an excellent ability to talk myself into anything which leads to accumulating more cards, I look at this failed transaction as a sign (from Jesus- who else?) that I really should own two E-90 Hal Chases, etc.

You guys are such a great resource. I truly appreciate all the responses and the humor everyone brought to the situation.

Thanks again...
d

PS: Is it possible that the buyer has a T206 Wagner in his dead grandfather's attic which he could sell to pay for my cards?

PPS: The verdict on outing this guy doesn't seem unanimous. As such, I won't post his name, but am happy to share the details if you email me privately.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

David

Thanks for clarifying why you no longer can sell the cards.

Also, the guys transgression was not that bad where his ebay name should be made public.

He did after all communicate with you.

Good luck if you do decide to sell them at a later date.

Make sure you word the comment in the NPB form so you do not

P&*$ off this guy, he can still leave you feedback (as long as he replies

to the NPB) with 7 days or 10 (not sure)

Steve

Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

David,

Maybe the buyer will come & put the money in Elijah's cup when you open the door during that part of the sedar. happy.gif