NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Who wants a Baltimore News Card?
Yes, 10k 6 5.00%
Yes, 12k 4 3.33%
Yes, 13k 0 0%
Yes, 15k or more 3 2.50%
No 107 89.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2023, 05:26 AM
Jamie

Default How Many of You Want One Baltimore News Card?

So we have a lot with 13 cards. Who wants one of the cards? Currently around $8.5k per card.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 12-01-2023 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:31 AM
Larry P.

Wouldn't mind having one for my type set, but not at that price.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:35 AM
Robert J. Miller

I voted no......i don't have that much disposable cash. And if I had one, I would sell it. I am getting too old to keep cardboard my family would not know what to do with if I passed on.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:03 AM
Stephen Benzel

No Cubs in that set as far as I know.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:18 AM
octavio ranzola

not at those prices
Old 12-01-2023, 08:01 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
So we have a lot with 13 cards. Who wants one of the cards? Currently around $8.5k per card.
are you presuming you're going to win lot #3 in REA?
Old 12-01-2023, 08:45 AM
Michael

I was mentally preparing to allocate 10K for one card if the cards were being sold individually. Since they ended up as a lot, some of that money went elsewhere in LOTG and may be going elsewhere in REA (or nowhere if what I am bidding on gets too high).

If I do win some cards in REA, that will pretty much have shot my budget for awhile. But I voted for 10K because I like type cards and that seems like a "reasonable" price for one.

But I have a feeling the lot will go for more than 10K per card (just a guess).
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:56 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Im in

Okay I will take the Ruth for 10k 😆
Old 12-01-2023, 09:18 AM

Should've been separate lots (individual cards).
Old 12-01-2023, 09:34 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Should've been separate lots (individual cards).
agreed 100 pct dont get that
Old 12-01-2023, 10:15 AM
mŞttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Unless it's the Ruth, no. So many other cards I would rather have for those prices.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-01-2023, 10:29 AM

I voted no, but only due to the price. I would love to get the Ensign Cottrell card because of his Pittsburgh Pirates connection, but not at any of those prices. I have other card wants ahead of it for that type of money
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-01-2023, 10:47 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Unless it's the Ruth, no. So many other cards I would rather have for those prices.
The high-end collectibles market is a fascinating place. The main selling point for these, as the listing reflects, is that they at one point shared a space with the Ruth card and another card for the guy who discovered Ruth.

I might want them all if I were already throwing cash at the Ruth and Dunn. But if I have a hankering for an old Ezra Midkiff, I'll pick up a T210-5 for less than 1/100 of the cost.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:09 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I voted no, but only due to the price. I would love to get the Ensign Cottrell card because of his Pittsburgh Pirates connection, but not at any of those prices. I have other card wants ahead of it for that type of money
JD - how many Larry N172s would you trade for the Cottrell? Please include 10% of the total as London cards (which I wouldn't mind having one of those).
Old 12-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
The high-end collectibles market is a fascinating place. The main selling point for these, as the listing reflects, is that they at one point shared a space with the Ruth card and another card for the guy who discovered Ruth.

I might want them all if I were already throwing cash at the Ruth and Dunn. But if I have a hankering for an old Ezra Midkiff, I'll pick up a T210-5 for less than 1/100 of the cost.
You have a point. If Ruth wasn't in the set, I wonder what the interest in the other cards would be. It is a rare set for type collectors, but so is something like 1911 Western Playground Association, and common cards from that set do not go for 10K apiece. That may not be the best analogy, but I do think that if this was just the run of the mill rare type set, the individual cards would not go for as much.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:38 PM
pete ullman

the western playground is a decent analogy! And I agree if there were no ruth...this set would be quite obscure and nichy.

the reason I got out of type collecting was because it kind of made me sick paying mid 5 figures for a rare card of an unimportant subject. i remember dropping over 3K for a t208 culligan fireside of a common player...just to fill a slot. And that was like 20 years ago. 10K is the old 3K!!!!

I'd rather have an iconic hobby card of a top hof'er/icon for the same money.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:39 PM
Bill Roberts

If the auction ended now, the 13 commons in the lot would sell for $8,300 each. I can't imagine that lot won't hammer for $130K, or $10,000 per card. 87 percent of respondents to the very-limited poll in this thread say they wouldn't pay $10K per card. Finally, some very quick research shows that common Baltimore News cards have sold in the past for about $5,000 to $6,000 each when offered individually.

So I'd love for MVSNYC and rjackson44 (and others who have posted the same thought) to explain their logic on why the commons should have been sold individually.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
JD - how many Larry N172s would you trade for the Cottrell? Please include 10% of the total as London cards (which I wouldn't mind having one of those).
43 of them, let me know when you win
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-01-2023, 03:05 PM
Michael

I cannot say which would have been better for the consignor. I personally just wanted them to be separate so I could have had a chance to win one.

But since they did offer them as a lot, I think it is wise that they did not also offer them as individual cards as well. We have seen that that idea does not work when lots close individually (without some manipulation to the software that resets the countdown clock for all the lots if a bid is placed on any one lot).

Last edited by molenick; 12-01-2023 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Personally, no interest whatsoever in commons, no matter how scarce.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:43 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Not surprised at the results here. Obviously auctions come down to the 2 bidders who are willing to pay the highest price. And often that price is more than the rest of the hobby is willing or able to pay.

And the whole dynamic tends to be extra exciting when the pieces in question are rare and exotic. These aren’t 52T commons, with a ready market and lots of supply if you miss out on this batch.

There’s also the possibility that whoever is chasing the Ruth will be willing to round up their invoice to get the whole set, which seems like it might put added upward pressure on the price.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 12-01-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:24 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
are you presuming you're going to win lot #3 in REA?
No, have not bid. I was curious if people were interested could a group purchase them since from what I read some people were interested in 1. This seems like a very rare shot to acquire one if this was a must have for this type of collector.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 12-01-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:39 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Initially I would jump at it and say yes as I love rare vintage cards and in the past I might have but I am trying to stay focused on my collection priorities and not go after the “shiny bling” and then miss that money on something I truly wanted and miss out on it(done that before)

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-01-2023, 04:53 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Personally, no interest whatsoever in commons, no matter how scarce.
Even rare-back T206 cards don't strike your fancy, Peter?
Old 12-01-2023, 06:26 PM
pete ullman

isn't dan going to buy this lot so he has all of the balt newses...except the ruths.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:48 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Fortunately for me I collect D cards, not M cards. I can't think of a single bakery type with $10k commons.
Old 12-02-2023, 02:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Even rare-back T206 cards don't strike your fancy, Peter?
I am completely indifferent to T206 backs. I know that is heresy on this Board.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-02-2023, 02:50 PM
Jamie

So we have 13 people and my math adds up to $153k for 13 cards (assuming the 15k is the max.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:36 PM
Michael

I voted that I would be interested in possibly paying $10K for a type card if it was a case where they were all in an auction, I could put in a low opening bid on a few, and then as the auction proceeded decide which one I wanted to focus on, but have the option to switch to another one, or even totally drop out and use the money towards other cards entirely. Sort of imagining what would have happened if the cards were being offered individually in REA (like what I am doing now with other lots in REA).

If the vote was whether I wanted to join a buying group to buy 13 cards, then I change my vote to no (although it doesn't look like the poll allows you to change a vote).
Old 12-02-2023, 03:46 PM
Jamie

Partly philosophical, partly thoughts on auction method case study and partly a buying opportunity coordination if 30 people responded yes. All responses interesting to me what other collectors much smarter and accomplished than me think.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM

Guy Zinn is no longer considered Jewish

https://jewishbaseballmuseum.com/spo...idered-jewish/
Old 12-02-2023, 05:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Alan, looks like he was not the first.

Zinn joins former players such as Buddy Myer, Lou Boudreau, Jacob Atz, Greg Goossen and Dave Newhan, who previously had often been listed as Jewish. However, they do not fit the museum’s definition of Jewish ballplayers.

Old 12-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
So, you'd be willing to part with half of your Larry cards. Perhaps I should consider bidding on the lot. If I win, trade you the Ensign Cottrell card, sell the rest at $12K a piece and then slowly start integrating the Larry cards back into the market. Now, all I have to do is win the lot and find a few other buyers.