NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-21-2015, 09:37 AM

Default Adventures in Tech Support

Let me start off by saying #1stworldproblems

I've been having wifi connectivity issues for a while now, so I got comcast out here to take a look today. We do not have tv or cable - just internet. Our downstairs laptop runs through a projector so we watch our tv that way.

MLB.TV has been great! But I really, realllly miss MLB Network - especially Quick Pitch in the morning. The technician told me I could go on chat and ask if and how to watch MLB Network online. Great!

Tonight, I hopped on and casually spoke with a support dude during the A's game tonight. It quickly turned into your stereotypical comedy of events that you would expect from a phone tech guy.

After about an hour going back and forth with "John", I politely said we needed to wrap this up and I just needed to know if and how to be able to watch the MLB Network on the internet through xfinity, because we do not have television. He said he had to disconnect and refresh. Well, apparently he meant that he needed to disconnect me because once he said that, my connection was GONE. I missed the entire end of the game.

After it finally got back online, he was no longer there.

Enter Rajani.

Rajani was a nice fellow, but I must admit, after an hour + of this, I was a little more short fused. I told him up front I've been on for an hour and wanted a QUICK resolution. I have no television and want to know if/how I can watch the MLB Network online through xfinity.

The same pleasantries I received from John were given by Rajani as well. These niceties were stretched out way, way too long. How are you? So good of you to contact us. How can I provide you with excellent service? Is your day well? I will be more than happy to help you.

Rajani starts using my name gratuitously ... in almost what seemed like a condescending manner.

Him: Tanner, I need your help in understanding something.
Him: Tanner, what browser are you using?
Me: All of them - it doesn't matter though. I just want access to the MLB Network online ... or even see if it is possible.
Him: Tanner, it does matter.
Me: Rajani, it does not - I'm trying to tell you I just want access to the MLB Network, or to see if it is even possible!

This went on for a while. Then he said please wait until I check for you.

During our chat session, I requested him to NOT disconnect my modem for a refresh as it was not a technical issue.

Disconnected.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got back online, and caught him just before he was heading out.

Me: "Why did you disconnect me when I asked you not to?"
Him: "But sir, Tanner, I did not. It was a technical issue."

After I told him one more time ... I just want to see if and how I can watch the MLB Network Online, he started asking me about the television. I told him again for the 50th time ... me ... no ... tv have.

"OH! Let me get you to another person."

'K.

Enter: Poppy.

For the third time, I am given the same treatment. Gratuitous pleasantries ... at this point, I'm CERTAIN that they are doing this to spite me because I

have made it known that as it is well past mid-night, just need something simple. I do not have television and I want to know if/how to watch the MLB

Network online through xfinity.

After telling Poppy what I needed, and giving him/her a full disclosure that I am VERY frustrated right now, Poppy decides it is a good idea to tell me what

the details of my current package are.

But why. What was Poppy doing? What is up Poppy's sleeve? Did Poppy think that my simple request of watching MLB Network online was really a cleaverly

disguised question that actually meant that I needed to know what plan I had with them? The world may never know.

I re-iterated what I wanted. Say it with me people ...

I do not have televeision. I want to see if and how I can watch the MLB Network online.

Poppy then directed me to the MLB website.

No, Poppy. I want the MLB Network through xfinity.

Then Poppy offered the MLB package which is where I can see all games through xfinity.

No Poppy, I want the MLB network through xfinity.

Then she has a great idea - to transfer me!

Next up! Amalia.

Amalia is a more to the point gal. She tells me right up front that she is an App person after only 15 minutes, which is nice. But then after I tell her

again what I need, she said "No need to repeat yourself."

LOLOLOL

"Amalia, unfortunately, I do need to ... I have needed to 20 times this evening."

Heh, I told her. But then again, she (along with everyone else was probably thinking ...

She then transfers me to the great and powerful JAM.

JAM asks how he can help, so I say ... Hi JAM! Congratulations!!! You have won the honor of being the 5th person I have been transferred to tonight.

JAM: I understand that you need access on viewing your favorite shows online, I know where you coming from as I also most of the time watch online shows.

Rest assured I'll help today.

(Note they all say I should rest assured they will help.)

ME: ok JAM, as sure as a fish flies in the north from the cold butterbee, all I want is to be able to watch the MLB Network online using my computer and the internet as I don't have television.

Dis...con...freaking...nected.

It is time to get serious now. I go upstair to call because at this point, wifi is not coming up. Forget MLB Network ... I just want my wifi back! Then... guess what?

YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT ACTIVE

Yes, friends. Wifi is no longer working, and neither is my email address. The phone tech gal said that it was due to an outtage, and it should be back up by the time I awake.

Really? Is this true? Was I becoming paranoid for nothing? Did John, Rajani, Amalia, Poppy and JAM not have it out for me? Was this all due to sporadic internet service? But if so, how deep did this conspiracy run? I asked the phone tech how it could be that my internet was up and wifi was not if there was an outtage. She said that it can happen.

No sweat. time to go to bed and have nightmares of the fearsome fivesome from comcast.

I wake up and guess what? No wifi. No email.

I call again, and I get what eerily sounds like the same woman from my dreams ... errr ... the tech support call the night before. She ends up transferring me to another fella. I don't remember names anymore, so I'll call him Edmund Buttersworth (5 points to those of you who know what that reference is from.)

Mr. Buttersworth mentions that wifi had been shut off, and my email had been deactivated!!!

WHAT?!!?!?!?

I told Mr. Buttersworth that I highly suspected that the fearsome fivesome may have maliciously done this to spite me amongst their ramblings in a concerted effort to drive me insane. He then confirmed that he agreed with me that it very well likely happened that way. When asked about any emails I may have received in the interim, Mr. Buttersworth reluctantly told me that they were lost forever.

In the end, I have lost a LOT of time dealing with this and a whole lot to complain about while blogging. Mr. Buttersworth did also credit me $20, which was nice. Stay tuned to find out what that $20 will be spent on ... hopefully a nice Canseco card that comes along today!

Oh, and a warning for everyone out there dealing with tech folks. If they are:

1) Named John, Rajani, Amalia, Poppy or JAM, run away screaming.
2) If they assure you they will be able to help you, take it with a grain of salt and understand they probably will not.
3) If they are being overly nice and complimentary, rest assure that they are probably shutting down your internet, stealing your identity and planning to run over your dog.

As for me, I suppose I'll have to survive without the MLB Network forever...but at least I do have email and wifi back!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:31 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Looks like North Korea is now outsourcing their cyberterrorism!😳

FYI, I've been enjoying your posts. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:44 AM
Bill Gregory

Mouschi, take a little time, and look around the forum. There are off topic boards for posts like this. This one has absolutely nothing to do with modern baseball cards at all. Hence, it doesn't belong here.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:58 AM

@timzcardz, much appreciated!

@the 'stache , Right you are - I do see there is a water cooler off topic board.

I didn't realize it was a big deal and hope all you post war pre '80 / post '80 folks can forgive me of posting my drivel in the wrong forums
Old 04-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
@timzcardz, much appreciated!

@the 'stache , Right you are - I do see there is a water cooler off topic board.

I didn't realize it was a big deal and hope all you post war pre '80 / post '80 folks can forgive me of posting my drivel in the wrong forums
I doubt your post in this section will cause turmoil in the world markets but Bill is correct. BTW, I just got off of the phone with an ATT person who was probably in the middle east somewhere. They raised my rate $10 a month and I asked about it. She said it was a promo from 12 months ago when I signed up. I said I didn't remember that and asked if she remembered everything she did 12 months ago. She said yes and I called her a liar. She gave me back the promo rate and we said pleasantries and hung up. She was quite pathetic.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

comcast customer service promo
Old 04-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Dave

I got a call from Microsoft a few weeks ago. The conversation went down hill quick.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
I got a call from Microsoft a few weeks ago. The conversation went down hill quick.
Actual Microsoft? Or the scammers claiming to be Microsoft? (I haven't heard of the real company calling anyone unless they're really important.

I have had a few calls from the scammers though. I get all Abbot and Costello on them

"I'm calling about your windows computer"
"Yeah? which one?"
"Your windows computer"
"Right....which one"
"The windows one. It's infested with viruses and were getting reports it's slowing the internet down"
" wow, that's a problem. Which computer is it?"
"The windows one"
"yeah, I've got three of them which one is the problem"
"The one with windows XP or 7 or 8.1"
"Ok, that really doesn't narrow it down since I have one of each"
"I'll need you to check them all to see something"
"That's going to take some time, I'm kinda busy. Can't you just tell me which one you're getting reports from"
"It's your windows computer"
"Riiiight.....we've already been there. Do you have any idea what the ___ you're talking about?" (Said while I'm laughing I couldn't keep it together)
Then the supervisor comes on.....
Eventually he called me an SOB, I told him to do something that was probably impossible then he called me a MF er and hung up.

Good times with the clueless scammers.

My wife was laughing too, even though she could only hear half of it.
She just tells them she works for MS and they clear off the phone very quickly.

Steve B
Old 04-25-2015, 12:23 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Actual Microsoft? Or the scammers claiming to be Microsoft? (I haven't heard of the real company calling anyone unless they're really important.

I have had a few calls from the scammers though. I get all Abbot and Costello on them

Steve B
It was the scammer ones. I knew right away it wasn't the real Microsoft. He called me a a** Hole after I hung up on him the first time.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

"I'm calling about your windows computer"
"Yeah? which one?"
"Your windows computer"
"Right....which one"
"The windows one. It's infested with viruses and were getting reports it's slowing the internet down"
" wow, that's a problem. Which computer is it?"
"The windows one"
"yeah, I've got three of them which one is the problem"
"The one with windows XP or 7 or 8.1"
"Ok, that really doesn't narrow it down since I have one of each"
"I'll need you to check them all to see something"
"That's going to take some time, I'm kinda busy. Can't you just tell me which one you're getting reports from"
"It's your windows computer"
"Riiiight.....we've already been there. Do you have any idea what the ___ you're talking about?" (Said while I'm laughing I couldn't keep it together)
Then the supervisor comes on.....
Eventually he called me an SOB, I told him to do something that was probably impossible then he called me a MF er and hung up.

Good times with the clueless scammers.

My wife was laughing too, even though she could only hear half of it.
She just tells them she works for MS and they clear off the phone very quickly.

Steve B
Two things. As for the MS scammers last time they called we had a great conversation. The guy on the other line ended up calling me a Fu&*(* Bitch and hung up. It was great. I actually LOL.....

What's more funny is the ATT lady that gave me a bunch of lies the day before actually called me back yesterday and asked for information for their installation. I said, what installation? She said Uverse TV. I said I didn't order that, started chastising her big time and she said thanks and hung up. I couldn't believe ATT tried to slam me like that.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Two things. As for the MS scammers last time they called we had a great conversation. The guy on the other line ended up calling me a Fu&*(* Bitch and hung up. It was great. I actually LOL.....

What's more funny is the ATT lady that gave me a bunch of lies the day before actually called me back yesterday and asked for information for their installation. I said, what installation? She said Uverse TV. I said I didn't order that, started chastising her big time and she said thanks and hung up. I couldn't believe ATT tried to slam me like that.
Leon:
This is one big reason we recently changed from AT&T to Time Warner Cable for our internet provider. We still have our regular phone via AT&T (yes, we're old school). I got tired of every time we had phone (re: AT&T) problems, we'd lose our internet for 2-3 days. Also was in the same boat as you when AT&T jumped our rate per month $10 without letting us know, and when I called them on it, our "promotional rate time had expired." We did this song and dance for two years, and finally, I said enough and went with TWC. Best choice we've made. Now when the phone lines drop here in Allen, we still have internet. ;-)