NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 AM

Default SMR Article - 1938 Churchman Boxing Personalities

Hi there,

Hope you are well.

I'm writing an article about the 1938 Churchman Boxing Personalities series for SMR magazine. I'm having difficulty uncovering information about the initial distribution of these cards. Does anyone out there know the following:

1. Were these cards inserted one per pack of cigarettes?

2. Were these cards only initially distributed in cigarette packs in England?

3. Why are so many of these cards now in collections in the United States? This makes me think that maybe cigarette packs with these cards were sold in the U.S. in 1938?

Thanks for any help you can help provide.

Sincerely,

Kevin Glew
Old 10-28-2016, 08:10 AM
David L.

These cards often still come up for auction in their original collector book. You've probably seen them if you searched on eBay. I suspect these books were cheap and/or promotional as I have never seen a pre-war sports set that is so readily available in a completed form as these. I have my doubts as to whether these cards came in individual cigarette packs. I'd guess that they were just something one could pick up in the book from their local tobacconist but that's merely a guess. I'd say they're in so many US collections because they are so cheap and they actually make up a pretty nice set. I don't think Churchman's was available in the US at the time. I bought my set shipped from the UK for about $20. I suspect many other collectors did the same. They include many US star boxers, some even in their prime. A lot of US collectors would have interest. I would also say that no other set demonstrates the fallacy of the psa price guide as this one.

Sorry these are all guesses. Being that there's a collector culture in the UK for "cigarette cards" I'd say maybe try to find a contact. This guide is published in the UK and might be a good start.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-T.../dp/1906397163

Last edited by david_l; 10-28-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:30 AM

Default Thank you!

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response, David!

I will check out the link to that guide.

Thanks again.

Kevin
Old 10-28-2016, 04:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Lots of American novice collectors (me included) buy 1938 Churchman's sets because they are cheap and loaded with HOFers. You figure that you can't lose with that sort of situation. Until you realize that the cards are so common that anyone who wants one has one.

An interesting angle for an article would be the effect of TPG on these commonplace sets. Take a $10 card, slap a 10 label on it, does it morph into a desirable card?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-28-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:24 PM
David M.

I don't know the answers. However, I looked up the set in an old Murray's book and it mentions that they had for sale a detailed 36 page booklet about the Churchmans. Has anyone seen this booklet? Maybe it has some of the answers you are looking for.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Also FWIW Churchmans made a lot of different sets. The 1938 is only one of many.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-30-2016, 09:15 AM
David L.

What really floors me is that this set was reprinted in 1990. Was there not already enough cheap circulating copies?
Old 11-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

A few of the more interesting British sets of all kinds were reprinted in the late 80's early 90's. I mostly saw the sets of reprints framed with fairly large asking prices.

Steve B
Old 11-02-2016, 10:47 AM
David L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
A few of the more interesting British sets of all kinds were reprinted in the late 80's early 90's. I mostly saw the sets of reprints framed with fairly large asking prices.

Steve B
It's the rare situation where the reprint is rarer than the original
Old 11-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_l View Post
What really floors me is that this set was reprinted in 1990. Was there not already enough cheap circulating copies?
David - you are correct. In fact, I've seen reprint Churchman boxer cards in PSA holders (not identified as reprints) with high grades - one as recent as last month at a card show in Atlanta that was graded a "9". I pointed it out to the dealer and he just said, "Oh...crap..."

I've never understood why these were reprinted, but my guess is that in the early 90s, pre-internet days, maybe people didn't really know how available they were. The internet opened us up to a lot more buying power and discoveries of what was really out there in the international marketplace. I ordered several sets off eBay in around 1998/99 and I still have them.

It's still a neat little set, along with many of the other sets they produced in that era.