NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Post Are you still watching the NBA?

As soon as I found out that Kevin Durant joined Golden State last year, I told myself that there was no way I was going to waste my time watching this sh*t anymore. And every time I look at the latest scores on my phone, I know that I made a good decision.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:48 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Mike Lenart

No. Haven't watched a game in over 10 years.

Mike
Old 05-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Dave

I'll never understand the groaning and the Superteam label regarding Durant going to Golden State.

Golden State was essentially a homegrown team who added (1) major guy to the mix, while sacrificing a lot of depth in the process so they could afford him.

It's nothing compared to The Heat recruiting Lebron James and Chris Bosh in the same season to pair up with Dwayne Wade, and then two seasons later able to bring in an aging but still effective Ray Allen.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Al Wright

My short answer to the question is a big no. I'm an old timer (going on 69) and have been a basketball fan since back in the early 60's. Can actually recalll when the Lakers were in Minneapolis. A loyal Knick fan all those years and I finally had enough a few years ago when the dysfunctional ownership at MSG busted up a team that was under construction and then IMHO compounded a series of blunders by chasing Carmelo. The importation of Jackson was the final nail for me. Walked away. Don't know if I'm ever going back. Plenty of other good round ball to watch during college season, but even that is becoming strained with the one and out set up that's business as usual now. Maybe I'm
just getting to old?? Anyway, that's my take on it.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:07 PM

I will watch the Finals, but nothing other than that is worth watching. At least the NBA is trying to stop this with their new super max contracts. When guys are going to lose 50+ million dollars to form a superteam, I don't think you will see another Durant to GSW as a free agent.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I'll never understand the groaning and the Superteam label regarding Durant going to Golden State.

Golden State was essentially a homegrown team who added (1) major guy to the mix, while sacrificing a lot of depth in the process so they could afford him.

It's nothing compared to The Heat recruiting Lebron James and Chris Bosh in the same season to pair up with Dwayne Wade, and then two seasons later able to bring in an aging but still effective Ray Allen.
Alright, your post clearly shows that you are a Golden State fan Yes, I agree that Bosh and James going to the Heat was a really bad thing for the NBA. However, I think that Durant going to the Warriors was pretty bad too. He could have signed with the Clippers or the Rockets, but no, out of all the teams he had to choose Golden State. Imagine New England Patriots signing one of the best offensive players in the NFL? Wouldn't that be just stupid? Do you think the Pats are lacking in that area (or in any area?)
Old 05-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Scott Russell

Yeah because stuff like this never went on in the old days, >cough< Wilt Chamberlain to the Lakers >cough<. Not to mention then bringing back Gail Goodrich after he became a bona fide star.

It seems to me that for some reasons dynasties and rivalries are loathed in the present and glorified in the past.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-21-2017, 09:40 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Alright, your post clearly shows that you are a Golden State fan Yes, I agree that Bosh and James going to the Heat was a really bad thing for the NBA. However, I think that Durant going to the Warriors was pretty bad too. He could have signed with the Clippers or the Rockets, but no, out of all the teams he had to choose Golden State. Imagine New England Patriots signing one of the best offensive players in the NFL? Wouldn't that be just stupid? Do you think the Pats are lacking in that area (or in any area?)
So when the Pats signed Randy Moss that was stupid? Not sure I'm reading you right.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
So when the Pats signed Randy Moss that was stupid? Not sure I'm reading you right.
I am not sure what the Pats' offensive situation was like back then. Didn't they get eliminated from the playoffs before that? Maybe they lost their WR to injury and needed a new one? I can't remember because all of this took place 10 years ago. Anyhow, my point is that I am just opposed to the idea of creating a superteam. It kills the competition and makes the games boring to watch.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Nah, I stopped watching the day I realized that, with just a little practice, I would be able to shoot free throws better than 20-30% of the league.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Clippers could not afford him, already paying Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin.

Also, remind me why THAT wouldn't be considered a superteam?

Houston? I don't know why any superstar would want to play with James Harden and the Rockets ugly style.

Golden State's style of basketball was the perfect fit for Durant. Spread the ball to everybody, open the floor, non-ISO, non-selfish and very efficient style of offense. Evidenced by Durant having his most efficient shooting season since being in the league.

He also had perhaps his best season as a defender since being in the league. It helps having team-mates who aren't running around like chickens with their head cut off all the time.

I also laugh when I think of Charles Barkley constantly criticizing Durant for his move to Golden State, when he did exactly the same thing when he defected to Houston years ago while chasing a title.

....and again, Golden State was a team that built itself drafting guys outside of the lottery system and bringing in under-appreciated veterans and role players other teams had given up on.

Durant was their one big signing in.............I don't know how long.

It's too bad that The Spurs suffered all the injuries they did. I think with a healthy Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker they had the perfect team to matchup against Golden State and give them a run for their money.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

No...appropriately enough...I am resting until the finals.

yawn

...and when they do begin, I am quite likely, at any time, to switch to whatever infomercial is playing at the time.

bigger yawn

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-22-2017, 02:27 PM
N
Banned

I personally do not have any problem with Durant's move. What's wrong with the guy wanting to get a ring or two? Logically, if you were an NBA player, you would want to be on the best overall team to increase your chances of winning that championship.

NJ Dunkin

Last edited by njdunkin1; 05-22-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Rick

Basketball?

Ha Ha, they don't play by the rules, they travel, they carry the ball, dive when bumped. It's pretty phony, nowhere near what Naismith intended it to be. It's pretty much a street ball show.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:01 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Basketball?

Ha Ha, they don't play by the rules, they travel, they carry the ball, dive when bumped. It's pretty phony, nowhere near what Naismith intended it to be. It's pretty much a street ball show.

I don't care so much about the traveling and carrying. Used to annoy me but it opens the door to a little bit more creativity as long as it's not too egregious.

What does bother me immensely is the Italian Soccer League style flopping that has become popular among players the last 5 years or so. Offensive players throwing themselves into defenders beyond the 3 point line to throw up a no hoper and getting 3 free throws out of it. Getting 3 free throws on one play used to happen once every few games........now you have teams like the Houston Rockets who specialize in getting that call several times per game.

It's the reason why my least favorite team and player is the Rockets and James Harden. Guy would rather trick the refs into calling a foul while throwing the ball into the 3rd row, rather then go hard to the basket and put it in the basket and risk NOT getting a call.

I like the Warriors a lot, because they seem to be more interested in putting the ball into the basket as efficiently as possible, while using ball movement to get guys open, then turning games into free throw contests.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:16 PM

Default Sigh...

I do catch myself often hitting "rewind" ... and sure enough, the guy took 3 steps. Yeah, the 'ol jump into the poor defender just standing there like a statue and throw up a, cough, cough, supposed shot trick irritates me, a lot. Like c'mon refs, that should rightly be a technical against the Offensive player. Jeez, I could do that myself all day long... and make a few of the free throws.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Dave

I like how they threatened to start fining guys who were caught flopping a few years ago. They only fined a few bench players, usually in situations that didn't even warrent it, ignored the stars when they did it, and then completely forgot they made up the rule to begin with.

The problem has only gotten progressively worse, since they introduced that toothless policy.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:55 AM
Jay Shelton

Nope, don't watch. Quit watching sometime in the mid-to-late 1980s. My dad (who is 86 now) referred to the NBA as the "push-shove-and shoot" league. That about sums it up for me...
Old 06-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

NBA- I don't like how the players act so don't watch it.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Kyle May

I'm a Cavs fan (less so than the Indians and the Browns) and I think I watched 2 Cavs regular season games all year. I've watched a couple playoff games, and last night's Game 1, but I can't stand the NBA. It's no longer basketball. It's street ball. They don't play defense, they travel more than flight attendant, and the players are the most entitled brats in the world. Only reason I'm watching The Finals is the economic impact it would have on Cleveland if the Cavs win again, and I hate Golden State more than a lot of things in this world.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-02-2017, 10:10 AM

Tried to watch game 1. Almost made it to end of first quarter.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:52 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

First NBA watching of the year was game one. First half then went to bed. Saw the only basketball worth watching the whole year. I love to play, and would love to watch ,but the product on tv right now is not great

Last edited by Econteachert205; 06-02-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Jeff

Haven't watched a second this year.
My son on the other hand devours it.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I'm not very interested.

It's not that the teams aren't interesting, or have great players, or storylines.

The reason I'm not interested is, the games are too spread out. Three and four day spreads, and the team doesn't even travel to another city? Scheduling has messed up the Finals.

The Finals should have begun on Tuesday, and they could have had a game Thursday. Instead, the Finals began on Thursday, and now to capture TV, the next game has to be tonight, Sunday. Game 3 should be tonight in Cleveland, and the TV market still gets captured.

I can't even imagine the players trying to stay " up " for the Finals, when games are so far apart from each other. Maybe the NBA Champ will be decided by July?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Can't believe this is what the NBA has turned into. I have not watched in years and now I know why. So transparent the NBA wants the Cavs to win game 3 so they can generate more money. What a joke.

Last edited by DeanH3; 06-07-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Spellig
Old 06-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Can't believe this is what the NBA has turned into. I have not watched in years and now I know why. So transparent the NBA wants the Cavs to win game 3 so they can generate more money. What a joke.

Well, the Cavs lost, so there goes that.

I hear what you are saying, but I think the NBA has improved a lot in the area of swinging the momentum of series from a reffing standpoint.

I mean, the way they call games in general is infuriating sometimes, but they are usually pretty consistent throughout a game with how they are calling it. Refs might swing momentum throughout a game, but not so much an entire series. Evidenced by the large number of one sided playoff series this year. Generally the best team won each series by a comfortable margin.

Reffing was much more crooked under David Stern then it is now under Adam Silver...............at least when it came to purposely extending series or playing favoritism for certain teams.

Still infuriating now and for different reasons, but consistently infuriating.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Rick

NBA- I don't like how the players act so don't watch it.

Unfortunately, the NFL is getting there as well.

Last edited by RTK; 06-10-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:08 PM
ray

I used to be a big fan, but stopped watching after the 2002 Lakers vs Kings series.
Smooth b/s/t transactions with: Baseball*Collectibles/bounce/Luke/Lgarza99/Joshchisox08/jcc6252/gregr2/Mountaineer1999/trdcrdkid/r0ck8ott0m/Maxjacks/Moonlight Graham/CobbSpikedMe/fkm_bky/mzljapan/mybuddyinc/aabram23

http://www.net54baseball.com/album.php?albumid=1030
Old 06-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

It looks like the Cavs are about to get swept - uh oh! I wonder what LeBron will do during the off-season? Maybe he will convince Curry and Durant to join the Lakers with him. Haw haw haw
Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I will watch the Finals, but nothing other than that is worth watching. At least the NBA is trying to stop this with their new super max contracts. When guys are going to lose 50+ million dollars to form a superteam, I don't think you will see another Durant to GSW as a free agent.
+1 I glance at the finals, but I haven't watched the NBA since the days of Bird and Magic.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I watched one highlight on the news and it was actually too much.
I could have lived without it. To me the NBA looks like a rag tag free for all the couple times my wife has had it on the tube in the last few years (she like the Mavs a little bit, DirK and all....he is cool). My first comment stands too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
+1 I glance at the finals, but I haven't watched the NBA since the days of Bird and Magic.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Just for balance super teams do not always win. When Payton and Malone joined Kobe and Shaq, the Lakers lost. Karl and Gary are still looking for their rings.

The current game has devolved though,

when you can get from midcourt to the basket and dunk without travelling,

when palming the ball is now considered dribbling and not a violation,

and when 80-90 % of the shots are either less than 2 feet or 3 point attempts.

Finally, if only two teams (at most 3 or 4) have a chance to make the finals, is an 82 game season really necessary to determine who comes in 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th?

PS: What about the one and done NCAA minor league of professional hoops? Are those players required to take freshman English, attend any classes at all, or take any exams? I sincerely doubt it.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

PS: What about the one and done NCAA minor league of professional hoops? Are those players required to take freshman English, attend any classes at all, or take any exams? I sincerely doubt it.
I'm guessing that they take classes their firsr semester to remain eligible. I'm also guessing that those classes require little actual studying and work, because the school wants them to be eligible.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Sean Costello

With all this (justified) criticism of the NBA, the one thing that I don't see is any reference to Tim Donaghy, that ref who threw games about ten years ago. He even "lost" a playoff game for Phoenix against San Antonio! This should be a scandal the size of the Black Sox in baseball. Yet somehow the NBA managed to sweep this under the rug. We all heard about it, as did fans everywhere, yet somehow it never rose above the level of a footnote to that season. Amazing.

Last edited by Sean; 06-11-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I've never been a big fan of dunks...they only count two points and are pretty easy for any athlete over 6-4 to accomplish. Then there's the taunting (i.e. celebrating) that follows...not a fan of that either.

Dunks should count as one point - since they are so much easier than free throws for the same millionaires. I'm amazed at home many 'great' players cannot make free throws.

What I do like is a lot of passing - involving all five teammates - in efforts to find the best possible shot.

And that's what the Warriors do...I always check the box scores to see how many assists they have...it's almost always much more than their opponents.

Other teams just run 'clear-out' one-on-one basketball where most of the other players are just bystanders.

I find that very, very boring.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-11-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

It's all over. I watched about 20 minutes last night and here is what happened: foul, free-throw, foul, free-throw, foul, free-throw, foul, free-throw, foul, free-throw - and the players who weren't sent to the line went crying to the ref! Wow! How do people watch this sh*t?

Anyways, LeBron showed some class last night and was the first person to hug Durant. Here is a shot below and the quick conversation that went on between them:

LeBron: Congrats, Kev. I'm really happy for you.

Durant: Thanks, man. I appreciate the love.

LeBron: Listen, before I let you go, um, can you sign with the Cavs this summer? I want to beat Jordan's record, I -

Durant: Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Come on, man. What are you doing? I just won my first damn title! Let me enjoy this moment, please.

LeBron: Yes, yes, you are right. I'm sorry. Um, I will text you next week, okay? I want -

Durant: Bye, LeBron.

LeBron: Alright, later. Text you soon, buddy.

Durant: Could you please let me go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kevin-durant-lebron-james-hug.jpg (56.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Sam Lemoine

I watched the NBA Finals. I watched a lot of basketball this season, and much of the playoffs. I live near Charlotte, so I pull for the Hornets and the Warriors (since Curry is from here, and is the son of Hornets star Dell Curry). Yes, I know that every year my Hornets have a slightly above zero chance of winning it all. But, this "Superteam" concept is nothing new. There are only five guys on the floor, so if you have three all-stars, you have a really good shot at winning.

The Boston Celtics of the 60's had several teams with EIGHT Hall of Famers. They had a starting five of all Hall of Famers, then had three more coming off of the bench. If you look at most of the NBA Champions of the past, there are multiple HOFers on the team. And as far as not every team having a chance, well, the 80's (the glory days according to many) had only five teams that made it to the Finals for the entire decade (Lakers, Celtics, 76ers, Rockets, and Pistons). In the 90's, two teams won eight of the ten titles (Bulls and Rockets). Having great teams dominate the league is nothing new.

But, if you have the attitude that certain teams can never win, just remember the Warriors. For most of about a 30 year stretch before Curry, they were one of the most awful teams in the league. They had a six year stretch where their #1 draft picks were Mickael Pietrus, Andrus Biedrins, Ike Diogu, Patrick O'Bryant, Marco Belinelli, and Anthony Randolph. So, they stunk. When they stopped drafting stiffs and managed to grab Curry, Thompson, Green, and Barnes (all guys that were not picked early in the draft), they suddenly became great. If my Hornets stop picking the Adam Morrisons, Malachi Richardsons, and Noah Vonlehs and start finding the gems, it can be done. But it isn't easy. Ask the 76ers.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I'm guessing that they take classes their firsr semester to remain eligible. I'm also guessing that those classes require little actual studying and work, because the school wants them to be eligible.
So a little while back, my alma mater got in to trouble for creating 'Rocks for Jocks' classes for members of the basketball team. One of the classes was Basketball 101. The local paper published several of the questions from the midterm in that class. The only one I can recall off the top of my head was:

How many points is a three-point shot worth?

A) Three

B) Two

C) Four

D) One
Old 06-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
So a little while back, my alma mater got in to trouble for creating 'Rocks for Jocks' classes for members of the basketball team. One of the classes was Basketball 101. The local paper published several of the questions from the midterm in that class. The only one I can recall off the top of my head was:

How many points is a three-point shot worth?

A) Three

B) Two

C) Four

D) One
I imagine someone got it wrong.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
I imagine someone got it wrong.
Hopefully on purpose, though I guess if they thought it was a trick question then anything is possible.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Partial credit was given for those answering B & D.

This group also received an honorary degree in Mathematics.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Just for balance super teams do not always win. When Payton and Malone joined Kobe and Shaq, the Lakers lost. Karl and Gary are still looking for their rings.

The current game has devolved though,

when you can get from midcourt to the basket and dunk without travelling,

when palming the ball is now considered dribbling and not a violation,

and when 80-90 % of the shots are either less than 2 feet or 3 point attempts.

Finally, if only two teams (at most 3 or 4) have a chance to make the finals, is an 82 game season really necessary to determine who comes in 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th?

I agree with all of your points, Frank.

I would start watching the NBA again if they eliminated the three point shot. It never made sense to me to clear the ball out for a 23 foot jumper after an offensive rebound. If anything, I would favor having the first free throw be worth one point and if it is made the second would be worth two. If the first is missed then the second would be worth only one...
Old 06-24-2017, 08:24 AM

Honestly, the WWE is less predictable than the NBA is.