NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Default Baseball Trivia question of the Month

Who was HERB RAYBOURN ? and what was his HUGE contribution to the Yankees of the 1990's ? Hint , he never played a single game
File Type: jpg raybourne2.jpg (78.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
J.

A Yankees scout that liked a beanpole shortstop's arm strength out of Panama and signed him as a pitcher.

The guy's name was Mariano Rivera or some such.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Jim,
I'm going to guess that he had something to do with Mariano Rivera since I know he hails from Panana.

Perhaps he was an interpreter?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM

Default JimStinson

Good One ! The first was right, he was the Yankees international scout and a local cabbie told him about a 20 year old sensation , so he went to have a look at the OLD by Latin standards MARIANO RIVERA , and signed him up. The Yankees I'm SURE thought he was crazy, Rivera was probably 100 pounds soaking wet. A million to one shot that one
Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Good One ! The first was right, he was the Yankees international scout and a local cabbie told him about a 20 year old sensation , so he went to have a look at the OLD by Latin standards MARIANO RIVERA , and signed him up. The Yankees I'm SURE thought he was crazy, Rivera was probably 100 pounds soaking wet. A million to one shot that one
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Has there ever been a better closer? I know that the rules that govern what defines what a save is has changed over the years, but I would have Mo anchor my bullpen...
Rivera's career ERA of 2.21 is over a half run lower than any other post-deadball pitcher ever except Hoyt Wilhelm, who he's only three tenths and change better than (minimum 1000 IP). His career postseason ERA is 0.70 over 141 innings.

I think there's a very plausible argument that in addition to being the best closer and reliever ever, Rivera's also the most effective pitcher ever on a per inning basis.

Last edited by tjlives; 01-18-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: cleaning up my numbers
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Default JimStinson

Eckersley was good, So was Sutter in his prime. But factor in brilliance , longevity, smarts, and cool under pressure , Best relief pitcher of all time

In 1988, Rivera began to play shortstop for Panamá Oeste, a local amateur baseball team. Herb Raybourn, the New York Yankees' director of Latin American operations, saw athleticism in Rivera but did not project him to be a major league shortstop. A year later, Panamá Oeste's pitcher performed so poorly that Rivera volunteered to pitch. He excelled at the position, prompting his teammates to contact Yankees scout Chico Heron. Two weeks later, Rivera was invited to a Yankees tryout camp in Panama City where Raybourn was visiting. Raybourn was surprised to find Rivera pitching at the camp, since scouts passed on him as a shortstop a year prior. Although Rivera had no formal pitching training and threw only 85–87 miles per hour (137–140 kilometres per hour), Raybourn was impressed by Rivera's athleticism and smooth, effortless pitching motion. Viewing Rivera as a raw talent, Raybourn signed the amateur free agent to a contract with a US$3,000 signing bonus ($5,337 today) on February 17, 1990
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM

Default JimStinson

I take that back about Eckersley ...wasn;t he the closer that was pitching to the guy on the Dodgers who came to bat with one leg in the 1988 World Series that hit a "walk off" homer off him to win the game ? Thats NOT a money pitcher. Rivera is a "money" pitcher
Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
J.

Quote:
I take that back about Eckersley ...wasn;t he the closer that was pitching to the guy on the Dodgers who came to bat with one leg in the 1988 World Series that hit a "walk off" homer off him to win the game ? Thats NOT a money pitcher. Rivera is a "money" pitcher

But that being said I'm a diehard Mets fan and I still think Rivera is the greatest I've ever seen by a wide margin.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM

FWIW, I whole-heartedly agree with both of your assessments of Mo.

Signed for a $3,000 signing bonus? We might also want to add that he was perhaps the greatest modern signing ever(?) for the price...
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Default JimStinson

Yea but at least he was pitching to a guy with BOTH his legs , Kirk Gibson should have been brought to bat in a wheelchair
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
J Stone

Quote:
I take that back about Eckersley ...wasn;t he the closer that was pitching to the guy on the Dodgers who came to bat with one leg in the 1988 World Series that hit a "walk off" homer off him to win the game ?
Jim -

Please, I beg of you not to EVER make mention of this incident so long as Mike Richardson, myself and any other A's fans are regulars on this board!

This is the equivalent of mentioning the name "Bartman" to a Cubs fan, or Sid Bream to the Braves faithful.

Some things just don't pass with time...
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

factoring in great backspin on the ball, a giant jetstream going out to right field, and pretty good upper body strength, and that ball Gibson hit still shouldn't have been hit out of the park. Now factor in a corked bat...

Last edited by mr2686; 01-18-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 PM

Default JimStinson

Ok will give you that ...............
and according to Gibson, advanced scouting-based knowledge of what the pitcher would likely throw with that count
As the story goes Gibson overheard the announcer say what Eck's "out" pitch was going to be and waited for it. Never heard the corked bat story but I will agree that ball sure carried pretty far on a minor league swing.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Jim -

Please, I beg of you not to EVER make mention of this incident so long as Mike Richardson, myself and any other A's fans are regulars on this board!

This is the equivalent of mentioning the name "Bartman" to a Cubs fan, or Sid Bream to the Braves faithful.

Some things just don't pass with time...
Or Joe Carter for the Phans.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM

In my opinion Mariano Rivera might be the greatest pitcher period to ever play the game. His work in the post season is super human, especially in this day and age of cheaters.

Not to mention the fact that he has been so dominant while every batter he faces knows exactly what pitch he's going to throw, and still they can't hit it. That's greatness.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
in my opinion mariano rivera might be the greatest pitcher period to ever play the game. His work in the post season is super human, especially in this day and age of cheaters.

Not to mention the fact that he has been so dominant while every batter he faces knows exactly what pitch he's going to throw, and still they can't hit it. That's greatness.
+100
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM

Default JimStinson

FINALLY ...............we all agree on something
Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
In my opinion Mariano Rivera might be the greatest pitcher period to ever play the game. His work in the post season is super human, especially in this day and age of cheaters.

I collect Rivera extensively. He is my Mickey Mantle. Jeter was always a bit too "teen idol" to be my favorite.