NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-20-2014, 08:26 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Default An autograph you despise?

Following the previous thread about your most-liked 2014 pick up, I'm wondering:

Do you have an autograph that causes you pause (NOT because its authenticity is in question) because it is on a medium you don't like, is rushed, is faded, was smudged, etc.

For example, I have many autographed Nolan Ryan baseballs, all in blue EXCEPT for one in black, which for some reason is bothering me to the point where I am going to sell it and replace it with a blue-signed ball.

Last edited by 7nohitter; 12-20-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:59 AM
John Smithwick

I have an autographed 8x10 of Cleveland's "Big Four - Feller, Lemon, Wynn and Garcia. Three signed in a bold blue while Feller signed in black. That signature sticks out like a sore thumb and keeps me from displaying it.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I got this myself at the show listed on the ticket. I don't despise it but "Hal" Aaron does stick out at me every time I look at it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-20-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Michael I.

Only thing that stands out about my collection I dont like is the 3x5 cards I have gotten over the years thru the mail to various players and coaches. Probably my least favorite medium to have signed. At the time I didnt think about it but you have to have alot of wall space to frame matte and display. But I did het some nice autographs thru mail!
Old 12-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Mike P.ap

Default 3x5s

Michael,

I understand where you are coming from but I have also a TON of 3x5s. I'm not doing much with them (literally thousands) but with the new movie coming out "Unbroken" on 12/25, I decided to dig out my Lou Zamperini items. I wrote to him once and he sent me back 7 items total (most were his items and were bonus items!!!!!!

I have already sold 2 in the last 2 days on Ebay for a total of $180 (and this is the market right now) so I'm pretty happy with my 3x5s!!!!

This is a rare hit, I admit and I was lucky to write to him as my friend tipped me off a few years ago that this guy was signing. Incredible!

peace, mike
Old 12-21-2014, 11:22 AM

I really wish this one didn't have that damn sticker:

Old 12-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Michael I.

why not sticker the back?
Old 12-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Mike Navarro

Heat it up with a hair dryer and take it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I really wish this one didn't have that damn sticker:

Old 12-21-2014, 03:10 PM

Have you tried the hairdryer method yourself? As much as I hate the sticker I'd hate a little oval patch of cover missing more.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Mike Navarro

Yes, I've done it myself before with PSA/DNA stickers. Haven't tried it on JSA stickers. I've done it on exhibit cards, index cards, and magazine pages. Have also used the microwave to heat them up before to heat up the adhesive LOL and also use a hammer to bust open slabbed cards if I want them out so I wouldn't call myself the most careful person. Have never messed up anything other than a Pete Rose BGS 6 rookie and that wasn't from breaking up the slab, it was from being impatient trying to get it out of that damn little plastic sleeve that Beckett puts them in, I couldn't find the scissors so I tried to use a ball point pen to push through and puncture it and to tear carefully but I missed

Your mileage may vary, just relaying my experiences. It's usually not hard getting the sticker off as long as your careful, the tricky part is getting the "sticky" stuff off after that and I don't have a good method for that. I use a heavy duty paper towel and water for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Have you tried the hairdryer method yourself? As much as I hate the sticker I'd hate a little oval patch of cover missing more.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:08 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

These are all great responses!
Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Brandon

Picked this Brett signed photo up at a yard sale a while back for 25 cents. Photo is stuck to the glass and has water damage. Signature is actually fine though...should probably just throw it out but cant find it in my heart to do so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brett.jpg (73.8 KB, 244 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Mine is a Bill Russell signed Celtic program, where the "ssell" portion of the signature is a sharpie blob.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Brian T.

One that bothers me is that of Willie Mays. I don't know what he is signing, but it doesn't look a thing like "Willie" or "Mays".
Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

One that always bothers me is Pie Traynor. His autograph itself has absolutely no style or flair (in an era when most players took pride in their signature). But more irritating is that the guy had absolutely no feel for where to place the signature.

Whether it's on an index card, trading card, photograph or ball, he always crammed it into a ridiculously tight and illogical spot. Typically relegated to an obscure corner, or right up against a border (so you can't effectively mat it) or touching on the laces of a ball.

The concept of signing a sweetspot or side panel apparently never occurred to him. No matter what the medium, the result was almost always aesthetically displeasing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pie1.jpg (21.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg pie2.jpg (77.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg pie3.jpg (71.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg pie4.jpg (54.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg pie5.jpg (60.7 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg pie6.jpg (39.2 KB, 206 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 12:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
One that bothers me is that of Willie Mays. I don't know what he is signing, but it doesn't look a thing like "Willie" or "Mays".

Ditto, though if he had a signing, I'm sure there would be lines out the door

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-22-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
One that always bothers me is Pie Traynor. His autograph itself has absolutely no style or flair (in an era when most players took pride in their signature). But more irritating is that the guy had absolutely no feel for where to place the signature.

Whether it's on an index card, trading card, photograph or ball, he always crammed it into a ridiculously tight and illogical spot. Typically relegated to an obscure corner, or right up against a border (so you can't effectively mat it) or touching on the laces of a ball.

The concept of signing a sweetspot or side panel apparently never occurred to him. No matter what the medium, the result was almost always aesthetically displeasing.
But his early signatures looked nice. Why did he change it?
Old 12-22-2014, 01:42 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Very interesting about the placement of the signatures-I've never noticed that before. Whereas I know Mantle took the time to sign in the 'best' place, I wonder how many players just don't give a crap.

Since Pie is from my hometown I'll cut him some slack!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Scott R

Ive always hated that greg maddux signed his name like a stroke just came upon him....how did it come to this and is there a real nice signature out there that actually reads well? something a total stranger to the sport could read?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greg.JPG (31.4 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by ScottR81; 12-22-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:08 PM

Cool Papa Bell easily....nice simple 3x5 and he's got his auto crammed up in the corner...I've seen Grimes to it too....I can't stand that....Some late stage Cool Papa Bells are pretty ugly too....

I have two Pie's...but this one from 1929 has some flair

billshofautographs.weebly.com
HOFCollector on YouTube

Last edited by whyconform; 12-22-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's a nice one... must admit!

I know there are always exceptions, and I guess most of the better examples would probably be his earlier ones (as mentioned above...)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:35 PM
Peter F

Agree about Traynor Mark.

I nominate Lefty Grove. He was so dominating yet his signature is just so painfully boring.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
Agree about Traynor Mark.

I nominate Lefty Grove. He was so dominating yet his signature is just so painfully boring.
Hi Peter,
IMHO, I tend to disagree somewhat about Lefty Grove. Although his later signature examples could be a bit mundane, have you seen his earlier signature that he signed with a flourish?

Here is a 1931 vintage Lefty Grove fountain pen signature that I purchased from Jim Stinson. I consider this to be one of my favorite signatures in my collection.
Enjoy & happy holidays!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lefty Grove 1931 album page.jpg (77.6 KB, 186 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Hi Peter,
IMHO, I tend to disagree somewhat about Lefty Grove. Although his later signature examples could be a bit mundane, have you seen his earlier signature that he signed with a flourish?

Here is a 1931 vintage Lefty Grove fountain pen signature that I purchased from Jim Stinson. I consider this to be one of my favorite signatures in my collection.
Enjoy & happy holidays!
Very nice!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Belltown Vintage

I had an early 1960's (I think 1961) exhibit card of Mantle that was signed: "Hi Kids, Mick"

The card was so beat-up, with corners missing, that I threw it away. It was an extreme eyesore. This was a long time ago - maybe 25 years - and I didn't collect autographs. Now, of course, I wish I had kept it.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Charlie

I could go on and on with this one

How about the guys who give you 2 initials and a uniform number. Some of these guys make Maddux's autograph look like 18th century calligraphy!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Tell me about it-here is Mike Trout auto from a "sit down" signing.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:51 PM

A former teammate played over in Japan. Shortly after my son was born, another buddy went over to Japan to visit our him. At the time our former teammate was with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks and was managed by Sadaharu. Anyway they had Sadaharu sign a ball for my son. I guess personalization's aren't common over in Japan and/or they had issue with the translator explaining how they wanted the ball sign, thus after several attempts at explaining the translator grabbed the ball and did the personalization on Sadaharu's behalf and then handed it to Sadaharu to sign. Wish the personalization was done in Sadaharu's handwriting. I wouldn't say that I despise it but I cringe a little when I look at it.