NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 12-24-2018, 08:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default So sick of these mini BGS-graded Star cards

Saw another one today, compare. The minis always seem to be from the same seller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (77.7 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (77.4 KB, 330 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:23 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Hi Peter I'm not familiar with this card and don't understand. The card graded 9.5 is trimmed?
Larry
Old 12-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Hi Peter I'm not familiar with this card and don't understand. The card graded 9.5 is trimmed?
Larry
It looks quite a bit smaller to me than the 9, as have quite a few other cards I have seen from the same seller that I have posted about before. Maybe he just had a huge run of natural shorts?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:30 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Could the minis be the ones that were printed in Florida in the 90’s? I don’t know much about Star. It would be disheartening to find out the only TPG that slabs Star can’t spot fakes.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:43 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Is Beckett lienent on short cuts from all card sets?
Old 12-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Could the minis be the ones that were printed in Florida in the 90’s? I don’t know much about Star. It would be disheartening to find out the only TPG that slabs Star can’t spot fakes.
I don't think they're fakes. Either they're just short naturally, or they're trimmed, I don't know. But I've seen quite a few of them.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:55 AM
Arthur R!ch

I've noticed the same thing as Peter. Those cards are not naturally thin, they're trimmed as f*ck. This is really pissing me off.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 12-26-2018, 06:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

If that's so one is left with two very disturbing choices -- either Beckett can't spot an obviously trimmed card that is clearly short to the eye, or they are doing favors for a large submitter.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:57 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If that's so one is left with two very disturbing choices -- either Beckett can't spot an obviously trimmed card that is clearly short to the eye, or they are doing favors for a large submitter.
Are you trying to tell me that people with a license to print money with zero oversight might pull something shady?

NEVER /s
Old 12-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
A lot of people just believe the stories they are told (without doing any research on their own). For example, one story is the owner of Star Co. took the original printing plates and printed thousands of these cards again in the 90s. This simply is not true. If you look at Beckett's population report, you will see that they graded only 728 Jordan rookies (1984-85 card #101) and 412 second-year cards (1985-86 card #117). If the owner reprinted these cards in the 90s, and there was no way to tell the difference between these and the originals, then don't you think there would be thousands of these cards sitting inside Beckett holders?

Now Peter, if you notice that these undersized cards keep coming from the same seller, then I think this needs to be brought to Beckett's attention. This doesn't look good at all.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

This is a very good site regarding Star BKB.

http://www.basketballgold.com/

I have no contacts with Beckett and I assume they would just deny everything given the magnitude of the problem. What TPG has ever confessed to anything except an isolated mistake? In any event I believe their vintage grader reads the board so he can do what he wants with the information.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-27-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:29 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
A lot of people just believe the stories they are told (without doing any research on their own). For example, one story is the owner of Star Co. took the original printing plates and printed thousands of these cards again in the 90s. This simply is not true. If you look at Beckett's population report, you will see that they graded only 728 Jordan rookies (1984-85 card #101) and 412 second-year cards (1985-86 card #117). If the owner reprinted these cards in the 90s, and there was no way to tell the difference between these and the originals, then don't you think there would be thousands of these cards sitting inside Beckett holders?

Now Peter, if you notice that these undersized cards keep coming from the same seller, then I think this needs to be brought to Beckett's attention. This doesn't look good at all.
Not the '84 #101 but they printed '86 sets like Crunch & Munch and Lite All-Stars. Those were the 1997 Shop at Home counterfeits. I believe the '86 Jordan set was involved with that as well.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 12-29-2018, 06:42 PM
St@n Go.len

I dont think these were faked, the cards in the OP are from the Jordan set. I don't recall cards being shorter...most likely trimmed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2018, 08:56 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

There is a big thread about BGS graded trimmed basketball cards over on blowout right now. Cards worth 100k and up, trimmed and graded. Gotta love it!
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1255123

Last edited by callou2131; 12-30-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

That whole segment of the market is a mystery to me. All artificial scarcity.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Chase

The elusive GEM MINT 10 grade by any grading company maybe artificial scarcity, the GEM MINT 10 (or any other grade) that is trimmed in order to get the distinction of the grade, is more like fraud and illustrates incompetence of the grading company if they are truly not a part of it.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:06 AM
D@V!D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
Not the '84 #101 but they printed '86 sets like Crunch & Munch and Lite All-Stars. Those were the 1997 Shop at Home counterfeits. I believe the '86 Jordan set was involved with that as well.

Arthur
Crunch And Munch, Lite, and the 10 card 1986 Jordan sets are all original authentic Star sets. They were not Shop at Home sets.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:19 AM
D@V!D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This is a very good site regarding Star BKB.

http://www.basketballgold.com/

I have no contacts with Beckett and I assume they would just deny everything given the magnitude of the problem. What TPG has ever confessed to anything except an isolated mistake? In any event I believe their vintage grader reads the board so he can do what he wants with the information.
I agree with Peter regarding the basketball gold website. I have no involvement in the site but I do know the person who created the resource and he is a very passionate Star collector and a wealth of knowledge on par with even Steve Taft. It is a very interesting read and clearly spells out the facts and myths about Star basketball cards.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Arthur R!ch

Holy moly that basketballgold site reads like a jilted lover.

Arthur

Old 01-05-2019, 02:38 PM
D@V!D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
Holy moly that basketballgold site reads like a jilted lover.

Arthur
I told you he was passionate. lol
Old 01-06-2019, 06:30 AM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushihotwings View Post
I told you he was passionate. lol
The problem though is that he's so angry that it taints his objectivity and his judgment. He has a vendetta.

Arthur