NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Daryl Kempster

Default Question for the experts

Hello all,
New to the forums here so a quick hello to all.

Here is my question. Posted this over at the eBay forums and it was suggested I also post this here.

There was a discussion thread over there about COA companies that are not allowed due to shady offerings. Asked a question about a mantle auto from the company Stat Authentic LLC. My brother picked this up at an auction house last year and if memory serves paid about 85.00 dollars for it. This was not the only auto in the bunch but this is the only one with a COA . There was a jeter, and some other players from football , baseball, etc. I am more interested in the mantle.

Before I go any further my photos are on my iPad which I am using. How can I upload the two pics.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Daryl Kempster

Okay I uploaded the pics to my profile albums. Take a look and let me know. Would you get this re looked at.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Welcome to the forum. The Mantle is fake. Stat is an unreliable company.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Cant see the picture but my opinion is
Old 06-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
Welcome to the forum. The Mantle is fake. Stat is an unreliable company.
Ditto.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:43 PM
J Stone

Yeah, no good on the Mantle...but the generic laminated COA is pretty impressive!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Daryl Kempster

Thanks everyone for the input. Was really unsure at the time of the auction and let my brother make the call on purchasing the lot. Did not have an iPad then like I do now.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thinning2013 View Post
There was a discussion thread over there about COA companies that are not allowed due to shady offerings. Asked a question about a mantle auto from the company Stat Authentic LLC. My brother picked this up at an auction house last year and if memory serves paid about 85.00 dollars for it. This was not the only auto in the bunch but this is the only one with a COA . There was a jeter, and some other players from football , baseball, etc. I am more interested in the mantle.
What is there about paying $85 for a Mantle auto that doesn't scream fake?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Christopher Williams

Ted Taylor (TTA/Stat Authentic) has a permanent position on Ebay's Banned COA list.

And deservedly so.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:59 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

here is the picture,
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapro View Post
here is the picture,
Textbook "Milkey Mautle" mass-produced fake.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Daryl Kempster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
As I said I did not make the call on this one, I said pass as I did not have an iPad as I do now so I could look it up and do more research. I do appreciate the responses though.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
$85 for a Mantle signed photo is a good deal but not unheard of. It does not "scream fake". I'v bought many authentic Mantle photos for less than that.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Textbook "Milkey Mautle" mass-produced fake.

From the bottom of the t in mantle all the way to the end of the e in mantle, you can basically draw a straight line along the baseline of those letters, a real mantle is more bouncy and not exactly straight like that. It's just one of the tells. In a real mantle the e in Mantle usually dips down below and the end of the e is usually shorter and doent tail way off to the right in a straight line and the line you can draw underneath those last three letters won't be exactly straight like i have shown here. Look how exactly straight that the red line is and it is perfectly underneath those letters. as a general rule, a real mantle isnt like that.

oops i just helped the forgers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle.jpg (40.8 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 06-11-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Daryl Kempster

Thanks Trav for the info on that.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Steve Zarelli

Thank you Travis for providing the line by line breakdown of an obvious, slowly drawn, malformed fake. You are truly an expert!

By the way, how's the analysis going on the Jim Corbett autograph someone posted a month ago? Been too busy breaking down documented Mantle forgery styles to get to it?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Now that I see the autograph I would have to say
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
$85 for a Mantle signed photo is a good deal but not unheard of. It does not "scream fake". I'v bought many authentic Mantle photos for less than that.
We would love to see some of those right here.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-12-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
We would love to see some of those right here.
lol. Me too Richard.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Thank you Travis for providing the line by line breakdown of an obvious, slowly drawn, malformed fake. You are truly an expert!

By the way, how's the analysis going on the Jim Corbett autograph someone posted a month ago? Been too busy breaking down documented Mantle forgery styles to get to it?
Thank goodness for Travis.

That was hilarious, Mr. Zipper.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 06-12-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thinning2013 View Post
Thanks Trav for the info on that.
you are welcome
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Not to be anything but kind. Travis, why would you ever leave the place that everyone trust you. Baseball to you is like Walt Disney to me.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Not to be anything but kind. Travis, why would you ever leave the place that everyone trust you. Baseball to you is like Walt Disney to me.

so you are saying i am wrong then? okay prove it then.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Banned

Quote:

If it is obvious why do people keep posting them again and again asking for help on what to look for and for opinions on whether they are good or not?

I showed him something to look for and he thanked me for it. What's wrong with that? What did I do to get a response from you like that? Was my observation wrong?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Shelly and Steve, I have to say, his post was far more useful than the basic stamp of "Good" or "No Good" that many of you reply with.

Ken
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Shelly and Steve, I have to say, his post was far more useful than the basic stamp of "Good" or "No Good" that many of you reply with.

Ken
+1
Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Tom Boblitt

To the OP.....don't just assume that now that you have an iPad and you can pull up a 'real', verified signature that you can quickly look at it and make an assumption. To the untrained eye, some of these forgeries are REALLY good--especially all the Mantle and Ted Williams ones. Things pointed out earlier are great identifying factors but unless you've spent a TON of time on these autographs it's not like it's second nature to look at an iPad screen, the physical item in front of you and assume you can make a quick decision......just my opinion.....
Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Steve Zarelli

Well, since the opinions of knowledgeable people aren't very "useful" without accompanying graphics, my suggestion is that those who don't have the time or inclination to offer supporting documentation with their opinion should refrain from offering opinions. Let's see how many opinions we get.

Good move. Nice way to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
If it is obvious why do people keep posting them again and again asking for help on what to look for and for opinions on whether they are good or not?

I showed him something to look for and he thanked me for it. What's wrong with that? What did I do to get a response from you like that? Was my observation wrong?
You were spot on in your analysis. You could have mentioned the drawn, heavy and labored appearance was a dead giveaway without even needing to bother with letter formation analysis, but to each his own.

By the way, how's the analysis going on the Jim Corbett autograph someone posted a month ago?

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 06-13-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Paulanthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post

The observation and explanation given is exactly how a bad autograph should be addressed. The no good answer or frown face does not contribute much to the hobby.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
You were spot on in your analysis. You could have mentioned the drawn, heavy and labored appearance was a dead giveaway without even needing to bother with letter formation analysis, but to each his own.

By the way, how's the analysis going on the Jim Corbett autograph someone posted a month ago?
+1