NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Fake Gehrig Award re-emerges

Sorry I couldn't find the original thread, but here it is again

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lou-Gehrig-1936-...item4157cb05f8

I guess we know who the buyer was, and now he's re-selling for just a bit more then he paid for it weeks ago on Ebay.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:32 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Isn't that a Net54 member?

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Scott

Whoever it is, its an obvious fake, and should be pulled, but again, Ebay doesn't care.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 AM
P.hil €lli$

I will say once again, as I did in the original thread, that I am 100% confident that this piece was machine engraved. I would also go on and say that it was more than likely engraved in the last month or so. Fresh engraving, done by a computerized engraving machine.

These types of machines were certainly not around in 1936.

Just pathetic!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Scott S

Here was the original thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ruth+mvp+award

Looks like the winner of the original auction paid $717, and is now the same person listing it for $15,000. I mean, who wouldn't want to make a 2,000% return on your investment in a month?!?!

Last edited by scooter729; 03-18-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 AM
P.hil €lli$

His Babe Ruth award is also on the Bay for $15K

http://cgi.ebay.com/Babe-Ruth-1927-N...item4157ac7cc3
Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Also, if you look at the bidding history on these 2 items from the original seller, both had a bidder with a (0) history bid and then retract. Done most likely by the original seller to either get the bidding going, or to see where the bid was at, and then both times retracted, trying to hid, but it shows when its over so they are busted.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Brock

The guy who bought these and is reselling them has sold lots of quality stuff and has some other nice items available for sale so you would think he is not some naive collector who would be fooled by these clearly phony pieces. I dont really understand why he would lay out $1,200 for what he has to know are fakes then try to resell at a price that he has no chance in hell of getting.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJacob View Post
The guy who bought these and is reselling them has sold lots of quality stuff and has some other nice items available for sale so you would think he is not some naive collector who would be fooled by these clearly phony pieces. I dont really understand why he would lay out $1,200 for what he has to know are fakes then try to resell at a price that he has no chance in hell of getting.
Someone (another naive "collector") will do a best offer for $10,000 and he will accept it (why wouldn't he, right)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJacob View Post
Sadly Brock, he is either a crook, and will take a MUCH lower offer, knowing he has junk, or is NOT at all knowledgable in this area.

The item itself is just so obvious it can't be real, esp w a similar Ruth, and the fact this stuff doesn't end up in a good auction house.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Default Fake Gehrig award

Look at this guys other items. I think he bought out a museum someplace! Some real scarce and valuable items up for sale. Hard to believe he would sell a fake of any kind. Hard to believe anybody could get one by him ! Jross2
Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross2 View Post
Look at this guys other items. I think he bought out a museum someplace! Some real scarce and valuable items up for sale. Hard to believe he would sell a fake of any kind. Hard to believe anybody could get one by him ! Jross2

He has some great stuff, albeit a wild prices on some, but that doesn't mean anything. Most guys on here are MUCH smarter than Me on this stuff, but for sure, that is NOT an original award, especially after reading some really informed opinions on here.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Kevin O'Gara

So i wrote to the guy about it being fake and this is what he wrote back. My friend, there is nothing fake about it . An auction house just bought the ruth piece, and i am considering several offers for this one. So much for know body buying it. Also, unless you have seen the items in person, reserve judgement. I do however , appreciate your input so much.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
So i wrote to the guy about it being fake and this is what he wrote back. My friend, there is nothing fake about it . An auction house just bought the ruth piece, and i am considering several offers for this one. So much for know body buying it. Also, unless you have seen the items in person, reserve judgement. I do however , appreciate your input so much.
Note the bold, what is that? haha.

Also, I'd be curious which auction house and such. It just looks so bad and obvious, that there would be one VERY similar one for each of the two greats.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Rick P

Perhaps this is pretty off-the-wall, but what looks odd to me is the font used in the Gehrig engraving. The large "Most Valuable Player Award" has a distinctive "modern" mid-to-late 1950s look to it...not a 1936 style. The 1927 Ruth item used a more traditional kind of Gothic font.

The mid-1930s saw the development of the streamlined type styles that saw full bloom at the 1939 World's Fairs. I'm not sure how many engravers would have used (or even had access to) such an unusual design for such a significant piece in 1936.

A modern-day forger could easily screw up by being unfamiliar with what was customary in days gone by. One would think that there would be a photograph of Lou holding the award at that banquet...
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 PM

Does anybody know what company made the plate? I mean, if it is somebody like Wm Rogers then there are pretty good records of when a certain style of design was made.

Also, wouldn't you think an MVP plate which was going to be given to Lou Gehrig or Babe Ruth would be made out of sterling silver?

Finally, maybe the "major auction house" the seller was talking about was Coach's Corner?

David
Old 03-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
Why would an auction house buy the Ruth piece and NOT the Gehrig piece also???
Old 03-19-2011, 07:36 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

Maybe Coaches Corner bought it...
Old 03-19-2011, 11:48 PM

The original seller has four more pieces up:

http://shop.ebay.com/luvukcats/m.htm...id=p4340.l2562
Old 03-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Chris Wood

Default Quite the hoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWMM View Post
The original seller has four more pieces up:

http://shop.ebay.com/luvukcats/m.htm...id=p4340.l2562
The buyer need only see that the original seller seems to have a plethora of one of a kind, HOF worthy awards to see that he has been had....or will he care?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Scott

These things have to be removed, this is ridiculous. The seller and/or ebay may say " it says the Foxx award "commemorates" . It doesn't categorically state they are from that time.

These new ones, plus the Ruth and Gehrig cements that this is all a scam with an engraving machine, for anyone who bid/bought and was dumb enough to believe those original two were real. Simply sad...
Old 03-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Richard Simon

The Greater Fool Theory in all its glory.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Jim D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Maybe Coaches Corner bought it...
Well then i guess we can we expect to see a monthly "Gehrig or Ruth" award once they get them made up!

I sure they will all have a beautiful authentic autograph clearly signed in original 1936 black sharpie

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Scott S

I received my Huggins and Scott catalog in the mail today, and the back cover featured a picture of items for their August National auction.

Pictured was one of these Lou Gehrig MVP plates!

I can't find a description on their site yet, but they might want to check these threads before publicizing this "award" too much....
Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Jim M.arinari

He is now NARU.

Last edited by Deertick; 05-26-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Sorry, I didn't realize this was probably old news. :)
Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I can't find a description on their site yet, but they might want to check these threads before publicizing this "award" too much....
I believe they have their June auction up currently, so the August auction wouldn't be on their site yet. Hopefully someone can advise them of the issue so as to avoid further embarrassment.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Scott S

Yep, I didn't see anything on their site about the August issue. Here is the back cover of the catalog, with the Gehrig award on the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50222.jpg (79.5 KB, 82 views)