NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-22-2014, 10:19 PM

Default anyone here see this hank greenberg signed letter???

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=168481

sorry if the link isnt clickable; hopefully someone can fix it for me (thanks in advance!)

this was in legendary's auction that ended the other night: I dont think I've ever seen greenberg sign his name this way; jsa gave it their blessing yet I was skeptical about the odd style and therefore didnt bid. I was thinking maybe it was secretarial but jsa must know something I dont know and maybe he did sign his name this way at times.

has anyone ever seen another similar example of the hebrew hammer's penmanship?????

Last edited by bostonmarathonman; 11-22-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:26 PM
FredYoung

Doesn't the hg/ns notation indicate the hg was signed by someone w/ the initials ns?

Isn't that the legal/offical/proper notation to make on a letter/document to indicate when someone OTHER than hg signed his name?
Old 11-23-2014, 12:22 AM

Thanks for your reply fred and yes, I noticed that too and wondered about that; I've always wondered what those abbreviations/that terminology meant at the end of a letter and was always under the impression that the letters were abbreviations for words ie I never really entertained the thought they are actually someones initials; you have piqued my interest to further research this subject!

edited to add: maybe in this instance the "ns" isnt someones initials but instead stands for "never signed" ie "hank greenberg Never Signed this letter"!!

Last edited by bostonmarathonman; 11-23-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:08 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

That's not Hanks' signature. That designation at the end is an indication that the letter was signed for HG by someone else.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I agree that this looks secretarial signed. However, the initials at the end indicated who typed the letter, not necessarily who signed it. Many times when a letter is signed by the person who typed the letter, the same initials are placed after the signature.

Jeff
Old 11-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Not even close.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I agree that this looks secretarial signed. However, the initials at the end indicated who typed the letter, not necessarily who signed it. Many times when a letter is signed by the person who typed the letter, the same initials are placed after the signature.

Jeff
That is correct, as far as I know.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Not even close.
+1
This lot has an auction LOA. Does that mean they pass it without looking at it?
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-23-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Richard Simon

When you click the "About Us" button on the Legendary site, it takes you to a page which prominently features a convicted felon as part of their organization. So selling a Hank Greenberg TLS which is signed by a secretary is a drop in the bucket for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mark-theo.jpg (68.6 KB, 188 views)
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-23-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Fred

What's the matter with all of you? Didn't you read the last line of the auction lot description: "Auction LOA from JSA". Now how stupid do you all feel? That's James Frigging Spences LOA were talking about here. Shut the front door.... seriously, do you now believe it's not real?

Why would someone provide an LOA from something that isn't real?

Geesh, what's wrong with people and our hobby today?
Old 11-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post

Jeff
I also agree with this as that is what I learned many years ago.

Here is an example of a secretarial signature where the person who typed the letter indicated that they were signing for someone else. Brutus Hamilton was a silver medalist in the decathlon at the 1920 Olympics. He was the track coach at U Cal/Berkeley for 33 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hamilton, Brutus (secretarial) (1931).jpg (74.8 KB, 108 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 11-23-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:13 PM
J@son.K

Yeah, I saw this lot on their auction site as well. HG's signature is so easy to distinguish, I really don't get this LOA and auction site passing it. When I saw it, I just thought "Oh well..it's just another one of those things..."
Old 11-27-2014, 09:04 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
What's the matter with all of you? Didn't you read the last line of the auction lot description: "Auction LOA from JSA". Now how stupid do you all feel? That's James Frigging Spences LOA were talking about here. Shut the front door.... seriously, do you now believe it's not real?

Why would someone provide an LOA from something that isn't real?

Geesh, what's wrong with people and our hobby today?
Can't tell if you're being serious or not, but an authentication is really just an opinion of an expert if they weren't there when the piece was actually signed. Just the world we live in.

Speaking of the piece and owning 9 Hank Greenberg autographs, this isn't his signature.

Greenberg collection
Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
Yeah, I saw this lot on their auction site as well. HG's signature is so easy to distinguish, I really don't get this LOA and auction site passing it. When I saw it, I just thought "Oh well..it's just another one of those things..."
#1 - It is an auction LOA, does anyone know what that means anymore?
#2 - Look at the auction house that auctioned the item, more then one of them will be wearing orange jump suits either already or soon. The only concern they had was having a COA. They auction the cert. not the item.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 11-27-2014 at 09:51 AM.