NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Max Weder

Default Matting or free float? what's your preference?

I don't think we've had this debate here. Perhaps it will reach the heights of the PSA/SGC debate on the other side (not likely).

What do people prefer? Matting out a photo that might have slight damages to the edges or free floating? I am in the latter camp

Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 PM
qualitycards

Max, actually they both look great.
All my stuff has been matted, never tried the free float method

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 06-11-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my one thing

The one piece I have that has been framed got triple matted. It is my Horner League Composite. I think different things look better one way or the other. Many documents look better to me when they are free floating.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:36 PM
William Peebles

I like vintage items with worn edges. They have character and history behind them. I'd most likely show the edges.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Phil Nap

In the free float gehrig piece is the item touching the glass or is it shadow boxed? Also, how is it mounted to the backing?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_9 View Post
I like vintage items with worn edges. They have character and history behind them. I'd most likely show the edges.
+1

Old 06-12-2010, 01:10 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The one piece I have that has been framed got triple matted. It is my Horner League Composite. I think different things look better one way or the other. Many documents look better to me when they are free floating.
I completely agree with this... it depends on the composition and make-up of the piece. I have done it both ways with great success. If the edge wear is severe, it can be quite distracting, and in those cases I like to mat it out.

When framing pennants, however, I would NEVER mat out any portion of it. They look horrible this way, and you have to see the pennants' borders no matter what.

#1 & 2 - Free floating works best
#3 - Matting out the edge wear was the best option
#4 & 5 - A combination of both worked best... the photo portions are matted, and the Comiskey Letter/Mays Auravision are both fully exposed using clear mounting corners. They would have looked funny and incomplete if the borders were hiding behind a mat.

So I believe it just depends on the nature of the piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bosox1.jpg (16.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Cubs.jpg (66.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg premiums 039.jpg (76.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Comiskey.jpg (15.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg GCs 021.jpg (75.9 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 06-12-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's another that might make the "photo guys" cringe...

I liked this incredible image of Clemente losing the battle against Wrigley Field's Ivy (and thought this moment of futility spoke for itself). I found the caption along the right to be quite distracting, and felt it took away from the beauty and artistry of this interesting photo. So I chose to ma out the caption, and was happy with the result...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clemente.jpg (59.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg D&M Giants 010.jpg (76.8 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 06-12-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Here's another that might make the "photo guys" cringe...

I liked this incredible image of Clemente losing the battle against Wrigley Field's Ivy (and thought this moment of futility spoke for itself). I found the caption along the right to be quite distracting, and felt it took away from the beauty and artistry of this interesting photo. So I chose to ma out the caption, and was happy with the result...
No cringing here whatsoever Mark. All of your pieces came out great. I concur that it's a matter of personal taste and the situation dictates. That is a big part of the allure of collecting original news service photos as the "game used" wear & tear that is indicative to the nature of the newsroom, can be matted out in most cases as the central image usually remains presentable.

My best, Jimmy
Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Mark, that darn Athletics piece keeps catching my eye...I really like that. So much so that I only just now noticed the wonderful Comiskey letter you have in the picture next to it. No wonder I can't get any work done, I can't stop looking at everyone's great stuff on this site!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Max, actually they both look great.
All my stuff has been matted, never tried the free float method

BOY, that's a great piece Jay!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:33 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
+1

Free floating for sure. David that picture is remarkable.......
Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Banned

The one thing to keep in mind when going the free-floating route is to consider whether you want to item being framed to come in contact with the glass. Many times this should be avoided, especially when framing vintage pennants. I've seen vintage photos become damaged when removed from a frame in which they were pressed against the class for years.

Obviously it's possible to "free float" without the item touching the glass, but often I see collectors go this route with the item being simply pressed between the front glass and back. That's often not a good idea.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Mike H.

I've mounted my most valued pennants away from the glass

, but have others against (but not smashed by) the glass.

Considering they do not have sensitive photographic images on them, why should they not be against the glass?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Considering they do not have sensitive photographic images on them, why should they not be against the glass?
Depending on the climate and environment (and the condition of the pennant) the printing on a pennant can stick to the glass.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default glass against object

I agree with Rob D above. Glass against a picture or other antiquity can be a recipe for disaster. I have at least one very modest (thank goodness) piece that is stuck completely to the glass. It is a piece I am going to sell and I am going to be very up front about it. IF anyone wants to take it out of the frame/glass it will definitely be sticking and take paper chunks with it. For this composite, I just checked again, and it is probably 1/4" to an 1/8th of an inch off of the glass. Of course I had it professionally done for about $350, which isn't cheap...but it is some of the smartest money I have spent in the hobby. The high end art shop did a fantastic job with archival everything and a new kind of glass that reduces glare signicantly (and of course is UV protected).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornercomposite.jpg (64.2 KB, 70 views)