NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-11-2018, 10:46 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Default Ohtani out - needs Tommy John Surgery, did the money change hands on his 1 of 1 auto?

Out to at least 2019... that's why we buy vintage...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Al Richter

How do “we” define “vintage” ?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Out to at least 2019... that's why we buy vintage...
Even if the $ changed hands it is probably being returned if sold through eBay.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:09 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Me - pre-1975 is vintage...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:24 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

money was never going to change hands....

Will be interesting to see if 150 wins and great era and whip and hitting 250 homers with decent AVG is enough to go to hall of fame...would need to see what key numbers there are when you hit and pitch...if just a hitter 500 homes is a key number..but whats the key number if you are a part time pitcher and part time hitter..
Old 06-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

He seems like a nice young man, but I wouldn't bet a nickel on his future right now, much less even be thinking in terms of HOF.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:03 PM
D@vid Fel@

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
money was never going to change hands....

Will be interesting to see if 150 wins and great era and whip and hitting 250 homers with decent AVG is enough to go to hall of fame...would need to see what key numbers there are when you hit and pitch...if just a hitter 500 homes is a key number..but whats the key number if you are a part time pitcher and part time hitter..
It depends on on many more games he plays against the worst teams in the AL. The angels seem to be protecting him by keeping him from pitching against the better teams. The two games he pitched against Boston and Houston he gave up 7 runs in seven innings.
Same thing batting. He isn’t exactly tearing it up against better pitching.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by felada View Post
It depends on on many more games he plays against the worst teams in the AL. The angels seem to be protecting him by keeping him from pitching against the better teams. The two games he pitched against Boston and Houston he gave up 7 runs in seven innings.
I think the operative verb is wasn't.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:11 AM
David M.

I'm sorry, it's my fault. I bought a few of his rookie cards and jinxed him!
Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by felada View Post
was a short sample size.... houston is a team on itself......how many games did jack morris win against bad teams...we dont break down the stats by who they play....all stats count.....there are lots of hall i famers i assume that tore up number 3 -5 pitchers....

if Ohtani played a whole year im sure he would of played everyone enough to show he wasnt being protected....he had a scheudle when he hit or pitched and couldnt help who his opponent would be..

by the way thats why i think playoff stats count a lot more than regular season and you are only facing better pitchers and lineups...
Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Playoff stats are relatively small sample size.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:33 PM
je.sse @rnot

Have the Angels confirmed he needs tommy john surgery yet, or is that just what people are assuming? If true that's quite a shame. He was on pace for an historic season. I wonder if he'll still be a two way player when he comes back.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:30 PM
David M.

There was an article in todays sports section saying they may be able to wait, but it hadn't been determined for sure yet. Trout even said he was still throwing 95 when they took him out, so maybe it isn't that bad?

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 06-12-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Playoff stats are relatively small sample size.
not for guys like andy pettite etc.....facing number 1 pitchers in a regular season is a small sample size...maybe get 30 games against them...maybe even less...how many times to pitchers face elite lineups.......you can play 20 playoff games in a season etc..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-12-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:18 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Have the Angels confirmed he needs tommy john surgery yet, or is that just what people are assuming? If true that's quite a shame. He was on pace for an historic season. I wonder if he'll still be a two way player when he comes back.
Word is that they are waiting a few weeks like Yankees did with Tanaka since either way he won't be back apparently until spring training 2020... damn that seem real far out...
Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 AM
Mark Rios

Very glad for him. Very.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:20 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Othani was signed with a grade 1 UCL sprain, meaning the ligament was stretched. He now has a grade 2 which involves a partial tear of the ligament, grade 3 is a full tear.

Obviously he has not gotten " better " in terms of the health of his elbow.

For now the Angels are taking a wait and see approach to rest the elbow. I believe they have done injections of platelets to help heal the tear, and they have had some success with this in Garrett Richards.

If TJ is done, Othani will miss most if not all of 2019 and return in 2020 to pitch.

For a position player or DH, the time frame is shorter. But it will not speed the healing process if he wants to pitch again. For that to happen, 2020 will likely be the return date.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:23 PM

He looked pretty good out there on both fronts to me. I've never heard of a hitter getting TJ and forgetting how to hit. Gleyber is a monster this year. Even if Ohtani came back with only his bat he'd still be the second best hitter on the Angels.

Last edited by packs; 06-18-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am familiar with tendon/ligament injuries and the platelet injection treatment. Several years ago I partially ruptured a tendon in my ankle and was scheduled for the platelet treatment when the issue resolved itself while I was waiting to do it. Tendon and ligament injuries resolve, if at all, slowly. I was told that a year is not an unusual time frame for the injury to heal, followed by substantial physical therapy. The platelet treatment is the best non-surgical option but it won't work on all tears. If the tendon shredded or tore in certain directions, it will probably have to be repaired surgically.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-19-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:50 AM
Rich Klein

A few things

1) Yes, without this injury the money would have changed hands on the super fractor. From what I heard, the person who pulled the card turned down a legit $60K offer. I bet he wishes he took the money and ran at this point.

2) This is why, and I don't play in this game, EBay rules are terrible for new card sellers. A person should not have 30 days to return a card after they purchase it when the real return reason is this obvious. Our needs are different than other businesses and we need things related to that. Same for pay pal. I had to wait a week for a dealer to pay for his tables at my last show because paypal originally sided with a customer on such an issue. I think a no-returns policy, even if EBay does not like it, deters a ton of this crap.

Regards
Rich
Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I had heard the California refractor gentlemen was offered $100k, turned it down and then next day injury report came out. Apparently that next day card holder called back the person who offered the $100k and that person laughed him off and then offered $25k no more... California guy apparently still has card.

This from a friend of the guy who offered the $100k...That's the bad side of greed I guess!

Also agree on ebay rules... I was going to start putting stuff back on to ebay but have very mixed feelings with this 30 day return business...doesn't make for a good business model...certainly don't need the aggravation...
Old 06-20-2018, 05:37 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
I had heard the California refractor gentlemen was offered $100k, turned it down and then next day injury report came out. Apparently that next day card holder called back the person who offered the $100k and that person laughed him off and then offered $25k no more... California guy apparently still has card.

This from a friend of the guy who offered the $100k...That's the bad side of greed I guess!

Also agree on ebay rules... I was going to start putting stuff back on to ebay but have very mixed feelings with this 30 day return business...doesn't make for a good business model...certainly don't need the aggravation...
$100k for that card is ridiculous
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:50 AM
octavio ranzola

Agree 100pct with rich ..his cards are heading dowm omg ..
Old 06-21-2018, 11:58 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
A few things

1) Yes, without this injury the money would have changed hands on the super fractor. From what I heard, the person who pulled the card turned down a legit $60K offer. I bet he wishes he took the money and ran at this point.

2) This is why, and I don't play in this game, EBay rules are terrible for new card sellers. A person should not have 30 days to return a card after they purchase it when the real return reason is this obvious. Our needs are different than other businesses and we need things related to that. Same for pay pal. I had to wait a week for a dealer to pay for his tables at my last show because paypal originally sided with a customer on such an issue. I think a no-returns policy, even if EBay does not like it, deters a ton of this crap.

Regards
Rich
Stated Perfectly! Thanks, Rich.