NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2018, 04:10 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

After this episode of hobby fraud it seems like the only signatures safe to collect are ones that you have personally gotten from the signer. I would bet that these forged signatures are not confined to lesser players. When the prize is bigger the forgers will be better. My guess is that there are plenty of Ruth and Gehrig signed cards out there that are forgeries, but have gotten certs. Who makes more-the forger or the authenticator? That will tell you who will do a better job.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Who makes more-the forger or the authenticator? That will tell you who will do a better job.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I have some autographs. I have some Mantles and Williams and others that I had reviewed and approved by the board. I don’t have the funds to chase the high dollar signed T206 cards and I feel for the folks that have those and are now suffering from this scandal. It hurts my heart when I think about these assholes making money selling forgeries to good people. Don’t think there is a clean way out of this, but it is nice see some auction houses and authenticators doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 12-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

The Doyle was originally sold in the November 2013 Heritage Auction. Others were sold during that auction. Rucker, Wheat, etc.

https://sports.ha.com/c/search-resul...-Search-071515

Last edited by jad22; 12-06-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Cliff

Default refund

Clean Sweep has offered a full refund on the Marquard including my SGC grading/auth fees.

Thank You Steve!

Cliff
(the start of this whole mess)
T206 Back Set - 37/38
T227 Series of Champions Master Set 45/48
1948 Bowman - Baseball & Football (upgrading)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Banned

that's great to hear cliff.

anyone on hunt?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Michael

Hunts wants me to return my forged T206 Flick to have as evidence with the FBI. They have said nothing about issuing a refund yet but I assume it will be forthcoming. Kevin and Bill at PSA have been incredibly helpful since I have had more signed prewar cards evaluated by them then possibly anyone except maybe Paul. Most of mine are 10+ years in my safe and gotten from long term collectors. I know that doesnt guarantee anything. Most are Marquards, Wheat, or Crawford. No super valuable ones They questioned one or two and offered to take the rest back for extensive re-evaluation if necessary. This is just me but I never felt very comfotable with SGC. When they were starting I submitted 3 Callahans which I know were fine to them and they said they couldn't tell one way or the other and just returned them. Later Rich, Bill and kevin approved them. They were purchased from Ron Gordon many years ago who worked for PSA in the beginning along with Stinson who is probably enjoying not being in this mess from his home in Cuba (he moved there due to his Cuban wife and cost of living, not to escape this mess
Old 12-06-2018, 08:06 PM
+0m J()rd@N

As others have mentioned, it remains to be seen what effect this will have on the hobby - and particularly the prices of pre-war signed cards.

Looking at things from an economics standpoint, we have a market with a small, fixed supply of signed cards. With some of those cards now turning out to be forged, there is a real and significant impact on the supply. As opposed to other players and mediums where the supply is almost limitless (think Bob Feller autographs). So one would think that with supply going down, that prices for authentic autographed cards would rise.

On the other hand, the demand will probably take a hit as some previous buyers will become disillusioned and exit the market. How much, we don't know, but I certainly wouldn't see the demand increasing due to this mess.

So with supply and demand both going down, where does that leave the market? I think it's really up in the air at this time and will depend mostly on what happens to the demand, which is up to us as collectors. And by that I mean a small number of folks - I'd put the over/under at 100 as to the number of folks collecting signed T206s, but I may be way off. Maybe 3 to 5 times that for pre-war cards in general (Goudeys, etc.)

Thoughts?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think demand will suffer a lot more than supply. I don't believe collectors will trust graders to get it right and I think prices will weaken/crater. I would love to be wrong since I think this will be bad for the hobby, but that is what I believe.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think demand will suffer a lot more than supply. I don't believe collectors will trust graders to get it right and I think prices will weaken/crater. I would love to be wrong since I think this will be bad for the hobby, but that is what I believe.
From my own no dog in the fight perspective I disagree somewhat. I think people WANT to believe the autographs are real, so many or most will tell themselves yeah there was a problem but it's cleaned up now. Wishful thinking will always outstrip cynicism.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Tony Ooten

Is the LOTG Doyle Batting one of the t206's that the sleuths on this thread have found the un-signed version of the same card?

What makes everyone think PSA is correct that it is a forgery? What if Al removes a legit card from the hobby?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:30 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Didnt psa authenticated a trimmed wagner, which Mastro admitted to trimming The t206 market wasn't affected and that is the top card in the set, arguably the hobby. It was swept under the rug in a matter of months. I'm betting there are multiple more trimmed cards in holders than forged autos. Is this that much worse?

This should bring even more scrutiny to signed cards, help collectors to do their own diligence, and will boost psa fees and probably prices in the long run.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-06-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Is the LOTG Doyle Batting one of the t206's that the sleuths on this thread have found the un-signed version of the same card?

What makes everyone think PSA is correct that it is a forgery? What if Al removes a legit card from the hobby?
Agreed. Given that PSA reverted the same Flick from the same original consignment that brought the Doyle, I think there’s a decent chance of that.

And no, it’s from 2013, which predates the current activities which are the subject of this thread.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 12-06-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:41 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Looking at things from an economics standpoint, we have a market with a small, fixed supply of signed cards.
Not anymore, we don't.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:14 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
As others have mentioned, it remains to be seen what effect this will have on the hobby - and particularly the prices of pre-war signed cards.
I would think demand would go down big time. I'm just one person, but my dream has been to one day own a signed Goudey Ruth. I figured as long as it was authenticated by JSA I could be comfortable in that it was authentic. As I approach the time where I could afford such a purchase, I am no longer comfortable doing so.

Reminds me of the one time I did by an autograph 25 years ago. It came with a cert. The index card was signed "Robert Clemente", the description in the cert said the card was signed "Best Wishes, Robert Clemente". I called the seller and they said, "no problem, I'll have our auto guy draw up a new cert for you". I returned the card.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
..."no problem, I'll have our auto guy draw up a new cert for you". I returned the card.
At least he didn’t say “no problem, I’ll have our auto guy add the ‘Best Wishes’ for you.”
Old 12-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
The Doyle was originally sold in the November 2013 Heritage Auction. Others were sold during that auction. Rucker, Wheat, etc.

https://sports.ha.com/c/search-resul...-Search-071515
Looks like PSA recertified the Flick from that Heritage Auction, where Jason May bought it, and then just consigned it to REA this Fall. I agree the Doyle looks off, but given that the Flick (7x higher price) from that consignment passed the re-cert, I would theorize that the Doyle was just a poor version not worth the risk as opposed to an outright forgery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 998FCE2F-EE03-4F0E-9098-CCEB7810B197.jpg (17.4 KB, 664 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-26-2018, 07:58 AM

Has anyone seen this? Not a T206 though...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F303008674347
Old 12-26-2018, 08:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

It doesn't appear the ebay ID that was revealed rang a bell with anyone? Virtually nothing has been said about it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Where have we seen this before

LMFAO

Letters Marketing Fraudulently Authentic Opinions

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotdeutsch View Post
Has anyone seen this? Not a T206 though...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F303008674347
LOL at the ink that was smudged approximately yesterday.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-27-2018, 08:57 AM
D@le Irv*n

Having read tidbits on here about Sal Bando and not knowing what some were referring to, I decided to check to see if I could find anything.

It didn't take long to find this, which I assume is the story people are alluding to in here?
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...d-news-for-jsa

In my searching it was easy to find other stories as well, which only makes me scratch my head further wondering how some of these companies are still in business today?
https://live.autographmagazine.com/f...-they-possibly

I'll abide with Leon's wishes not to post the Hauls of Shame link, but that one is real interesting as well.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
LOL at the ink that was smudged approximately yesterday.

Looks like it was signed with one of those rare early 20th century sharpies.