NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Barry Sloate

Should I start a NYC dinner thread?

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-29-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Hell Yes! Let's do it.

John
Old 01-29-2012, 12:52 PM

I work with a 24 year old woman and she said her boyfriend's favorite band is The Beatles. I assume he's about her age. So the Beatles are eternally popular.

She said "Do you know what is my boyfriend's favorite band?" I was half-sure she was about to name a band I'd never heard of before.

I have a precocious 13 year old neighbor girl (Jeez, that might have come out wrong). She seems so far ahead of her years intellectually, confidence, manners, then she named off her favorite bands. They were bands 13 year old girls listened to.

Last edited by drc; 01-29-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Sadly I dont think 3rd Bass will be in the same halls huh David?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 PM

I'm not a 60s music follower, but am a fan of the Beatles. In my opinion, they deserve the credit they receive.

And, for the record, I'm not a 1970s follower, but Roxy Music is one of my favorite bands.

As an indie 1980s teenager, my favorites include the likes of The Psychedelic Furs, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Cure (Pre-1987), plus a variety of punk bands.

I don't per se have anything against rap or hip hop. I haven't listened to enough to form a critical opinion. When in doubt, I assume anything in any genry that appears in the Top 40 or on commercial television or in a Chevy Truck commercial or the theme music for NFL halftime update sucks.

In short, I'm an elitist.

Last edited by drc; 01-29-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Barry Sloate

I'm on the case John.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Ahh the 80’s Depeche Mode, Early Cure, Talking Heads, Echo & the Bunny men, The Cult, Genesis, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears, AC/DC, The Smiths, Peter Gabriel ahhh so many good bands…

Never was a huge hip hop fan but can’t lie Public Enemy and NWA along with Eazy E were good too.

As for earlier my favs Cream (the greatest band ever), Jethro Tull, Genesis With Peter (The best Genesis), Kansas, Stevie Wonder, Sly & The Family Stone, Queen etc.

And for the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and now David Bowie seriously has there been another artist that has hit as many generations as Bowie?

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 01-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 PM

Thanks to my parents, I've been a lifelong fan of classical music (Handel, Bach, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Barber, Ligeti), but still listen to the hardcore punk from my youth. I call the early 1980s British band Discharge the Beatles or the Beethoven of hardcore punk. Though they are the definition of underground music, never commercially accessible. I compare listening to them to listening to a jet engine from 20 feet.

A member of the band was once asked why they picked Discharge for the name of the band, and he he responded "Because it was obnoxious."

Another classic was when the guitarist for the Echo and the Bunnymen was asked how they picked the band name. He said, "We had this mate who kept suggesting all these names like The Daz Men or Glisserol and the Fan Extractors. Echo and the Bunnymen was one of them. I thought it was just as stupid as the rest."

Last edited by drc; 01-29-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post

It would be nice to see Pete come clean and resurrect himself but I think that is too much to wish for if I’m being honest. I think he and the situations he has created are just too far gone. That is the real Haul of Shame here sadly.

Cheers,

John
Shelly Jaffe turned his life around...Pete Nice can do it too. It will obviously take time, restitution and probably turning himself in to whatever authority it is that has a warrant out for him. I honestly believe that if he were to do all this and still continue to root out the bad elements of this hobby he can be a real asset.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:03 PM

The most common way to learn and grow is through one's mistakes. A mistake and a setback can make you a better person if you approach it as a chance to improve yourself.

Everyone makes mistakes. It's how you deal react to them that matters. If you dealt with them poorly in the past, well now's your chance to change and deal with them in better ways.

P.s., From time to time I use the line, "Everyone makes mistakes. So I've been told."

Last edited by drc; 01-29-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I love White Rabbit...now that's a great song.
In the greater scheme of things, not a huge Airplane fan. Saw then play back in the day and wasn't all that impressed. Actually preferred Hot Tuna as a live act.

But White Rabbit is as good as it gets!

Sorry to pursue this tangent, but this thread makes me nostalgic for some of the meandering threads on the old site.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
In the greater scheme of things, not a huge Airplane fan. Saw then play back in the day and wasn't all that impressed. Actually preferred Hot Tuna as a live act.

But White Rabbit is as good as it gets!

Sorry to pursue this tangent, but this thread makes me nostalgic for some of the meandering threads on the old site.
It's my thread so we can meander . I saw Jefferson Starship, introducing Grace Slick, in about 1980 at the Greek Theater in Hollywood. I guess it was after she had left the band for several years and was making a special appearance. I have probably seen 75 or so concerts and that was one of the best.... Had to be there, I guess. In the right frame of mind White Rabbit is hard to beat!!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Jeff

"feed your head"

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Barry Sloate

I saw the Airplane at the Fillmore East about 1968....that counts for something.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Then how do you explain your 20+ years as MC Sloate??

DANG Barry, i had no idea you were so fly back in da day dog?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 AM
Barry Sloate

Bilko- what's funny about that picture is that there is nobody less likely to be a rap star than me. I'm the guy more likely to finish a crossword puzzle or study a chess game.