NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Default In case anyone's interested: My new column at Sports Collectors Daily

I now write a weekly (or so) column (as does forum member Rich Klein) at Sports Collectors Daily. Mine is on authenticity and identification topics-- card and non-card, sport and non-sport. Forum member and renown autograph expert Jim Stinson kindly let me quote him in my most recent column on provenance.

Authentication and Identification Advice
Old 04-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Mh wߥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I now write a weekly (or so) column (as does forum member Rich Klein) at Sports Collectors Daily. Mine is on authenticity and identification topics-- card and non-card, sport and non-sport. Forum member and renown autograph expert Jim Stinson kindly let me quote him in my most recent column on provenance.

Authentication and Identification Advice
Thank you for using my item at the top. I feel a little like Bob Uecker.....

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep
Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 PM
thomas c killeen

The Wagner article was fascinating and informative. i wish you well with future writing on sports themes, as the information is invaluable. Presently i am looking at the black light article.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:08 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Nice!...I'll read them all.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Dan Markel

Thanks. I'll add this to my required reading list.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Rich Klein

Default Welcome

Fellow Columnist
Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Bill Gregory

I'm very interested. Bookmarked.

Great article on provenance. The personalized index card Dr. Davis used for his autographs was a really great idea.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 04-16-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Peter F

Read it this morning. Good stuff as usual. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Dr. John Davis Jr. (died 2002) was a Topeka optometrist and well known old time/old school autograph collector. He carried his custom personalized index cards with him in his pocket. He got his first in person autograph when he was ten– President Calvin Coolidge. When he was 72, a newspaper reporter asked why he collected autographs and he said because it’s a hobby you can enjoy whether you are ten or 72. In that interview he said he never sold his autographs, though he donated his Supreme Court collection to the Washburn University School of Law where it is on public display.

A particularly interesting old time/old school autograph collector was M. Watt Espy. His day job was an Alabama lawyer and death penalty researcher, and he and was, and still is, considered the world's foremost authority on the history of capital punishment. His name and researched is commonly referenced in academic articles and scholarly books. But, as a hobby, he collected thousands of autographs, mostly through the mail, from everyone from Ty Cobb to John F. Kennedy to Elizabeth Taylor, many personalized to him. And it should be neat to have a politician's, movie star's or Nobel Prize winner's autograph personalized to a noted historian.

Last edited by drcy; 04-16-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 PM

I've been enjoying them. Thanks for the black light tip.