NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Questions for dealers

So I have accumulated approx 3000 commons from 54-72 majority being 60's. Some hi numbers etc. some minors. Anyways as a dealer there's probably 4-5k resale in it individually if you did shows. If I were to go to a show would a dealer be willing to trade do you think? If I wanted 3k in trade for one card would a dealer be inclined to do it if there was more than 3k retail in my commons in order to bulk up their inventory and turn a profit? Thought are appreciated and welcomed.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Generally as a dealer there needs to be more margin than what you are talking about. Maybe $4k-5k in commons might net you around half that in trade. Just my thought on where I might be. Of course the cards still have to be decent and so forth...
Old 04-08-2017, 06:54 AM
James
James Kin.chen

I doubt that a dealer would offer you $1000 in trade. There would be a lot of work involved in selling the commons that you have. It would probably take the dealer years to recoup his investment. 3000 commons will take up a lot more space on his table than the single cards that you would take in trade.
James
Old 04-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Ben North

I agree with Leon on this. With a dealer you would be very lucky to get 50%. I have made a few trades like this and the person with 1 card always gets a premium compared to the guy with a stack of cards. When trading with a dealer you have to consider all the extra time it will take them to unload the lot compared to the single card.

As an example I traded a rare Joe Dimaggio for almost a complete run of Willie Mays cards and received about a 20% premuim for the single card.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Generally as a dealer there needs to be more margin than what you are talking about. Maybe $4k-5k in commons might net you around half that in trade. Just my thought on where I might be. Of course the cards still have to be decent and so forth...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I agree with Leon on this. With a dealer you would be very lucky to get 50%. I have made a few trades like this and the person with 1 card always gets a premium compared to the guy with a stack of cards. When trading with a dealer you have to consider all the extra time it will take them to unload the lot compared to the single card.

As an example I traded a rare Joe Dimaggio for almost a complete run of Willie Mays cards and received about a 20% premuim for the single card.

Guys,

Recount... I have about 8300 commons haha. Majority late 60's early 70's.

All in pages and binders.

over 1000 1969 cards in great shape
over 600 1960 topps cards
over 600 1966 topps cards
and a mix of 300-600 of each other year

So about 300 61's 300 62's etc.

I'd want 4K-5K in trade. You think that is unreasonable? Figure theres gotta be at least 12K resale when broken up.

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 04-08-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:30 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Guys,

Recount... I have about 8300 commons haha. Majority late 60's early 70's.

All in pages and binders.

over 1000 1969 cards in great shape
over 600 1960 topps cards
over 600 1966 topps cards
and a mix of 300-600 of each other year

So about 300 61's 300 62's etc.

I'd want 4K-5K in trade. You think that is unreasonable? Figure theres gotta be at least 12K resale when broken up.
Unless they are in real NrMt condition I would say you would be lucky to get 10% in trade. That many low end commons could take years to unload.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Br.ent So.bie

I agree with the 10% ratio.
And to be honest, even at that rate I think most dealers would decline.
The space needed, time and work involved, and once the best of the best was gone... there would be a lot of valueless "residue" left over that would never sell.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Oh it would all sell. Everything sells for a price. .....it's just that the price could be cards for literally a few cents (or less) each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
I agree with the 10% ratio.
And to be honest, even at that rate I think most dealers would decline.
The space needed, time and work involved, and once the best of the best was gone... there would be a lot of valueless "residue" left over that would never sell.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Oh it would all sell. Everything sells for a price. .....it's just that the price could be cards for literally a few cents (or less) each.
Uhh I don't know Leon.... Low grade 1970s commons? I think you might have trouble giving those away.
And even if they did sell, how long would it take to reap in those pennies per card?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Uhh I don't know Leon.... Low grade 1970s commons? I think you might have trouble giving those away.
And even if they did sell, how long would it take to reap in those pennies per card?
I only buy cards to 1969 so you are probably right. I understand some later years go for 10 for a penny and less. I never said I would do this, btw.
I have 6000 or more decent commons, hof'ers and stars from the 50s-60s I have been selling at shows for the last year. I am not buying many more of those right now and I have reverted to going back to more pre-war buying and selling .
Old 04-08-2017, 07:58 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I no longer deal, but I once did extensively. There are times you just look at a deal and say, " That won't work." Even at 10% of your estimated value if I am a dealer and I have $1000 worth of high end (let's say a Cobb Red background, but if you are trying to boil it down to one or two cards, it's going to be high end and sellable cards or else considerably overpriced) inventory versus a monster box of commons, the fact that you can sell one card versus having to lug around the monster box for years, you'll keep the single card. There is a chance that you might find a dealer who has an expensive but slow selling card he has had in inventory forever that he sees as if he sees as inventory he is going to be buried with that he might trade. You would probably be best off to move them as lots on eBay or BST. Even then it's not going to be easy to get to 40% or book value, IMO. The exception is if you peel out the high numbers. The 1961s and 1966s if in any condition at all will do well. Sadly there's not that much demand for the 1969s, which I think is a fun set. Please note, I am often wrong, but I think you are in a position to either do the work yourself or settle for literally pennies on the dollar.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:59 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:

The 70's are in VG-ex to ex.

The 69's are the same

Every thing in the 60's is VG some better some worse

50's is good some better some worse
Old 04-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I no longer deal, but I once did extensively. There are times you just look at a deal and say, " That won't work." Even at 10% of your estimated value if I am a dealer and I have $1000 worth of high end (let's say a Cobb Red background, but if you are trying to boil it down to one or two cards, it's going to be high end and sellable cards or else considerably overpriced) inventory versus a monster box of commons, the fact that you can sell one card versus having to lug around the monster box for years, you'll keep the single card. There is a chance that you might find a dealer who has an expensive but slow selling card he has had in inventory forever that he sees as if he sees as inventory he is going to be buried with that he might trade. You would probably be best off to move them as lots on eBay or BST. Even then it's not going to be easy to get to 40% or book value, IMO. The exception is if you peel out the high numbers. The 1961s and 1966s if in any condition at all will do well. Sadly there's not that much demand for the 1969s, which I think is a fun set. Please note, I am often wrong, but I think you are in a position to either do the work yourself or settle for literally pennies on the dollar.
Yes not looking for a Cobb or anything in demand. Just 1 card that I can hold on to to make room. Something that is a slow mover for someone else. Where they say hey it might be a 5k card but I've had it forever. And they can make back 2x that on this lot.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
The 70's are in VG-ex to ex.

The 69's are the same

Every thing in the 60's is VG some better some worse

50's is good some better some worse
That's pretty much what I meant Stephen...

1970s commons in VG-EX are low grade.
As are 1960s commons in only VG or worse...

I honestly think most dealers wouldn't touch it...
but if that's the route you try and go, I wish you the best of luck.

Brent
Old 04-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Yes not looking for a Cobb or anything in demand. Just 1 card that I can hold on to to make room. Something that is a slow mover for someone else. Where they say hey it might be a 5k card but I've had it forever. And they can make back 2x that on this lot.
Your best bet is to just sell them in large lots by years and take what you can get. I would be amazed if you could get a $500 card in trade for that many low end commons. Would you even consider trading a $1K card of yours for that pile of low end commons?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Your best bet is to just sell them in large lots by years and take what you can get. I would be amazed if you could get a $500 card in trade for that many low end commons. Would you even consider trading a $1K card of yours for that pile of low end commons?

I'm not a dealer so prob not. If I was and I had slow moving inventory and the clients that want to set build it would be a no brainer. If I knew I could get .75 a card on average in person it's worth it to me. I just don't have the client base.

I'd prob do 3k trade as a dealer if I knew over 2-3 years I'd triple up in exchange for a card I've been sitting on anyways
Old 04-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
I'm not a dealer so prob not. If I was and I had slow moving inventory and the clients that want to set build it would be a no brainer. If I knew I could get .75 a card on average in person it's worth it to me. I just don't have the client base.

I'd prob do 3k trade as a dealer if I knew over 2-3 years I'd triple up in exchange for a card I've been sitting on anyways
If it took 2-3 years, once you factor in your time - assuming you value that...
A dealer wouldn't triple his money... He'd barely break even.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
If it took 2-3 years, once you factor in your time - assuming you value that...
A dealer wouldn't triple his money... He'd barely break even.

I have them in binders and pages. All they'd have to do is take them and put them on their tables. Nothing to waste time on. They are ready to sell and organized by year.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Look, it's your transaction. Make an offer to a dealer and see. You're getting a lot of responses saying it won't go. You don't need to convince anyone here it will work.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Look, it's your transaction. Make an offer to a dealer and see. You're getting a lot of responses saying it won't go. You don't need to convince anyone here it will work.

Hey I'm not trying to convince anyone. Just making sure I give all the facts.

How I couldn't get 1000 for 20k in book value does seem off to me though. But hey it's a conversation and opinions and I value everyones
Old 04-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Hey I'm not trying to convince anyone. Just making sure I give all the facts.

How I couldn't get 1000 for 20k in book value does seem off to me though. But hey it's a conversation and opinions and I value everyones
How are you seriously getting 20K in book value for a bunch of 60's and 70's commons in VG condition? Go to eBay and look at what large lots of low end cards really sell for because I think you will be in for a huge surprise.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Cremation

Let's look at it this way.

If you prepay for cremation with a Cobb in your pocket and promise to show up on the day with the same Cobb, you would probably get comped.

On the other hand if you showed up with 8300 cards in binders, there would likely be a surcharge.

Okay, don't look at it this way.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Commons

The majority of set builders are not building sets in vg -ex from the years you listed. I think you should bring them all to the local show and see what offers you get. Wish the best of luck with this lot.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
The majority of set builders are not building sets in vg -ex from the years you listed. I think you should bring them all to the local show and see what offers you get. Wish the best of luck with this lot.

There are not all commons there are semis and minors as previously stated and some high numbers. Not all are VG some are VG-ex to exmt just giving you an idea. Didn't want to over promise or overgrade. I understand where you guys are coming from though.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I do collect in that grade. You only need to find one sucker. I have been on both ends of such trades. I think you'll find this to be a rough deal to consummate, but you don't know until you try.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default cards

Stephen, go to a show and look around. You will see 1000's, or maybe 100's of 1000's of cards from the 60's and 70's. Many of these cards will be in the dime boxes and the quarter boxes. The supply is much greater than the demand. It doesn't really matter what the "book value" is, all that really matters is how much people are willing to pay for these cards. If you have 8300 cards, you will be lucky to get $1000 in trade or in cash.

Maybe you should set up at a card show and see what kind of luck you have.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Thanks for all your input. I am going to a show tomorrow I think so I'll let you know how I do
Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 AM
octavio ranzola

Anything is possible😎😎
Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Stephen - Sometimes you gotta say WTF and go for it. Best of luck at the show.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:19 PM
T0dd M@rcum

If you don't sell them I'll be glad to send you my lists
Old 04-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Larry More.y

You can regularly purchase cards in similar condition as yours on ebay for around 50 cents a card for 60-65s, 33 cents a card for 66-69s and 20 cents a card for early 70s. If you sold them in lots yourself on ebay you would be lucky to clear $2000 BEFORE fees, etc. So for a dealer to purchase from you or trade with, you would be extremely lucky to get $1000, more likely than not, $700-800 would be generous.....most dealers would likely offer you less due to the time involved to resell(sorting) for a profit.

Having bought a number of accumulations such as yours to "resort" and then resell, the prices mentioned above would be my would be what I have experienced. You may want to consider selling in lots by year on ebay versus selling to a dealer as you will be better off price wise going that route.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
You can regularly purchase cards in similar condition as yours on ebay for around 50 cents a card for 60-65s, 33 cents a card for 66-69s and 20 cents a card for early 70s. If you sold them in lots yourself on ebay you would be lucky to clear $2000 BEFORE fees, etc. So for a dealer to purchase from you or trade with, you would be extremely lucky to get $1000, more likely than not, $700-800 would be generous.....most dealers would likely offer you less due to the time involved to resell(sorting) for a profit.

Having bought a number of accumulations such as yours to "resort" and then resell, the prices mentioned above would be my would be what I have experienced. You may want to consider selling in lots by year on ebay versus selling to a dealer as you will be better off price wise going that route.

SOLD. Met a great guy and dealer and got a 2000 World Series home plate signed by the Mets head grounds crew and a psa 3 1952 mays. Which I think was very fair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6452.jpg (70.8 KB, 294 views)
Old 04-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
SOLD. Met a great guy and dealer and got a 2000 World Series home plate signed by the Mets head grounds crew and a psa 3 1952 mays. Which I think was very fair.
Cool item. The eBay listing shows the Home Plate as coming from the Bullpen.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Cool item. The eBay listing shows the Home Plate as coming from the Bullpen.
Yea he told me about how the MLB number doesn't show up on the site because when they redid the site it lost a lot of information. Very forthcoming dealer and one I plan on doing a lot of future business with. If anyone is interested feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

They would never have a logo on top of a home plate used in a game.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
They would never have a logo on top of a home plate used in a game.
I know. It's from the bullpen.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Scott Russell

which 1952 mays?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
which 1952 mays?
^^^^^

would love to see a scan of the mays
Old 04-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
which 1952 mays?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
^^^^^

This one

Old 04-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Congrats on finding a trade partner and the successful downsizing of the collection.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Joe

Good trade. Seems like a fair trade all around. The Mays sold on ebay for $1,500 last month. With the Home Plate, seems like about $2,000 value in the trade overall. Congrats.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-2...wAAOSwbsBXmlZx
Old 04-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
^^^^^

Quote:
which 1952 mays?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Congrats on finding a trade partner and the successful downsizing of the collection.
Thank you. I appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Good trade. Seems like a fair trade all around. The Mays sold on ebay for $1,500 last month. With the Home Plate, seems like about $2,000 value in the trade overall. Congrats.

Thanks. I think the home plate is worth a bit more than 500 but I could be wrong. The seller was asking 3250 and dealers at the show said 2k minimum on a sale. But again, it's only worth what someone will pay.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:44 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:

That is a different Mays.
James
Old 04-08-2017, 07:51 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yep, and I'd rather have the one in this thread than the eBay one that has two large creases. I would not expect that card to get the same VG 3 grade if submitted today. Maybe a 2 Good?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
James
you are right...I am not sure what I was looking at
Old 04-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Yep, and I'd rather have the one in this thread than the eBay one that has two large creases. I would not expect that card to get the same VG 3 grade if submitted today. Maybe a 2 Good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
James
Quote:
you are right...I am not sure what I was looking at
Thanks guys!
Old 04-09-2017, 01:53 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Wow

Sounds like you found a sucker. That stuff is not an easy sell. Plenty of people with vast quantities of stuff like that just filling space. Would love to find someone to make similar trades with.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:53 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
But again, it's only worth what someone will pay.
As someone who tries to explain home appraisals to people that often think the personal value is king, that's a refreshing thing to read.

I say congrats after reading this thread and personally I would have been skipping from that show if I only recieved the Mays. No matter what the plate is valued at, I say it is just extra gravy. Well done.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:19 AM

Default Well done

I think you did very well. Congrats on the trade!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I think you did very well. Congrats on the trade!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Sounds like you found a sucker. That stuff is not an easy sell. Plenty of people with vast quantities of stuff like that just filling space. Would love to find someone to make similar trades with.
He wasn't a sucker. He had the plate for a long time and it was pure profit to him. That's why I like trading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
As someone who tries to explain home appraisals to people that often think the personal value is king, that's a refreshing thing to read.

I say congrats after reading this thread and personally I would have been skipping from that show if I only recieved the Mays. No matter what the plate is valued at, I say it is just extra gravy. Well done.
I totally agree. After a few months you basically learn a items real value pretty quick lol thanks again