NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-14-2020, 04:47 PM
Bry@n

Default Pop Report for Single Player HR tickets?

Are there people out there who try to get a ticket for, say, each of Reggie Jackson's home runs? If so, is there a way to see a list of the pop report for each of the games? Or does one have to check the pop report game by game?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2020, 05:14 PM
Howard Chasser

Default interesting question

So I thought about that very thing for "my player" Roberto Clemente - then I thought as a hitter Clemente was recognized for getting 3000 hits more than for the number of home runs he hit, so I should collect all the tickets for games he got a hit. Then reality settled in and I said - Nah, that would just be an INSANE quest. So I thought about it, but never acted on it. I do have some milestone stubs including #3000.
I would think mostly only milestone stubs would be graded - maybe #100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 1st. last, etc. Probably a project in itself just to checklist all 563.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Mikeknapp

There is a board member who collects stubs to games in which Willie Stately homered. Hopefully Dewey will chime in and share his experiences and knowledge.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 02-14-2020, 10:05 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I collect a lot of different ticket themes. I started with all Mark McGwire HRs. I need only about 14 more to finish that set. I also collect all Jim Thome HRs and need about 20 to finish. That being said, the cost of getting every ticket slabbed would be cost prohibitive. In fact very few of my tickets are graded. To use PSA's population report to determine how many of a certain ticket still exist is not a good idea. as already mentioned milestone tickets probably get sent in many times more than other tickets so that would skew the numbers towards them. But I feel most set collectors do not get their tickets graded.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 02-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Bry@n

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So, for milestone tickets does it make no difference whether it is graded or not? I guess I had been under the impression that being slabbed was preferable, but when I looked at the total pop report for slabbed tickets I saw a much smaller # than I expected (which is why I wondered if I was looking in the wrong place).
Old 02-15-2020, 08:13 AM
Howard Chasser

Default My thoughts

I think it possibly makes a difference if you are looking to sell the ticket (that may soon change with all the heat PSA is getting re: their incompetence). Other than that - educate yourself so you are clear what you are looking for and at and have at it.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:21 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

I gave up on my Willie Stargell HR ticket quest. It got to be a little daunting so I narrowed it down to only the '71, '73, & '79 seasons as well as milestones. There are lots of collectors that collect specific players games, hits, HR's, etc. though.

I don't send my tickets into PSA to get slabbed so I wouldn't know anything about the POP report question. When I have looked at the POP report it seems to be by each individual game although I do believe there is a way that one could have the best graded collection of a particular player, WS games, etc. Just not sure how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
There is a board member who collects stubs to games in which Willie Stately homered. Hopefully Dewey will chime in and share his experiences and knowledge.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:10 AM
Mike Oberl@nder

I have collected many tickets and stubs from games in which Sandy Koufax pitched (including all of the World Series and All Star games). I have never sent any in for authentication, but I bought a few that were already slabbed - really didn't impact my assessment of value. The slabs make it difficult for me to keep them they way I do most of my stubs - in penny sleeves taped to a page with a NYTimes article about the game with the box score. You can see how I keep my no-hitter/perfect game stubs, and how the slabs look compared to a random page that I flipped to. (I guess the SGC stub is nice to be slabbed as it references the Oldtimer's game and those are not easily checked on retrosheet.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Koufax slabbed tickets.jpg (73.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Koufax no hitter tickets.jpg (76.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Koufax slabbed ticket example.jpg (56.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Koufax ticket example.jpg (68.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-17-2020, 01:08 PM
Bry@n

Excellent, thanks guys. This is confirming what I thought - that the slab is pretty irrelevant for tickets.