NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Default Show us your funny or interesting sports inscriptions

When I saw this Bo Belinsky signed 1963 LA Angels yearbook I knew I had to buy it because it's hysterical!
If you think about today's players, I can't imagine any fan getting such a cool memory for a $5 autograph signing fee. Additionally, there isn't a player that would take the time to sign and inscribe a piece with as much quirky humor as Belinsky obviously had. Check it out!

I'm sure that many of you have some items with great inscriptions that you would like to share. Here's your chance!

For those of you that have never heard of the story of LHP Bo Belinsky, he was certainly cut out of a different cloth. As an Angels rookie in 1962, he hurled the 1st no-hitter in Angels history and immediately became the answer to an excellent baseball trivia question:
Who pitched the 1st no-hitter at Dodger Stadium (NL)?
A- Bo Belinsky (AL)

It should be noted that most people would answer with the response: Sandy Koufax.
FYI, in 1962 the American League LA Angels shared newly built Dodger Stadium with their NL counterpart the LA Dodgers. Belinsky beat Dodger HOF great Sandy Koufax to the honor on May 5, 1962. Koufax followed up with his own no-hitter the following month on June 30th, 1962.

NOTE:
Bo Belinsky became an instant celebrity and the toast of Los Angeles. He partied and rubbed shoulders with the Hollywood elite and dated starlets such as Tina Louise (of Gilligan's Island fame) and Mamie Van Doren.
Belinsky hung around baseball for a total of 8 unremarkable seasons, but realistically his no-hitter in 1962 was his claim to fame. Alcohol and partying were his demons, but he did finally find sobriety and tried to help others by speaking on the topic later in his life.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-26-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Big Nate!

I collect check and have a lot of them. This is my favorite...Nate Thurmond endorsed on the back by "Big Nate".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1213.jpg (68.9 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1212.jpg (81.0 KB, 300 views)
Old 03-25-2018, 02:38 PM
Bill H@e1ig

That Belinsky is a great one! Here are a couple relatively unique ones I've had Cal Ripken Jr. sign:

My oldest son was born on 08/13/88 and it was neat to find a wire photo from the Orioles game that evening (which I had Billy sign/inscribe)

And my youngest son was born on 05/24/91 (first game that Johnny Oates managed for the Orioles)

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-25-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 03-25-2018, 04:14 PM

One of my favorite pieces:

Old 03-25-2018, 07:30 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Al Lopez responding to an autograph request saying he quit signing, then signing it.

IMG_0281.jpg
Old 03-26-2018, 04:19 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Two tickets from the day Canseco had the ball hit off his head and go over the fence for a homerun. He signed one "ouch" and the other "doink"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cansecoheadsigned.jpg (65.8 KB, 220 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 03-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Ben North

Before Billy finally admitted he wrote "F*ck Face" on the bat knob of his 89 Fleer card he did and still does sign Good Luck. From the work Luck it was obvious he was the one who wrote the word that rhymes with it on the bat knob. Here is a Simpsons parody card he signed and one of my favorite cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ripkensigned.jpg (42.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 03-29-2018, 08:26 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Before Billy finally admitted he wrote "F*ck Face" on the bat knob of his 89 Fleer card he did and still does sign Good Luck. From the work Luck it was obvious he was the one who wrote the word that rhymes with it on the bat knob. Here is a Simpsons parody card he signed and one of my favorite cards.
That card is awesome!
Old 03-29-2018, 09:13 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker1b2 View Post
Al Lopez responding to an autograph request saying he quit signing, then signing it.

Attachment 310140
What year was this? Quick backstory, in 1998, he was the last IP HOFer I needed and I wrote him a letter asking if I could come to his house and get his autograph, he said yes-but didn't sign the letter (I know i have the letter some where). I did go down and meet him (nice guy-tough house to find before GPS/Mapquest). I know he stopped doing this soon after.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker1b2 View Post
That is awesome. I assume he has a great sense of humor.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Paul

I really love this one. Likely signed around 1940.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barry M101-2.jpg (73.8 KB, 130 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 03-29-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:13 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
What year was this? Quick backstory, in 1998, he was the last IP HOFer I needed and I wrote him a letter asking if I could come to his house and get his autograph, he said yes-but didn't sign the letter (I know i have the letter some where). I did go down and meet him (nice guy-tough house to find before GPS/Mapquest). I know he stopped doing this soon after.
I believe it is postmarked either 1988 or 89 if I remember correctly. I acquired it in the late 90s. I had it framed, unfortunately my collection is boxed up and in storage right now as my office/memorabilia room had to be converted to a nursery about a year ago.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Todd Tobias

I like getting interesting inscriptions on cards. Here are a handful from my collection...
Old 03-30-2018, 08:46 AM

Hope 64 inscription, the year the Civil Rights Act passed.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:50 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I saw a show about ML catchers once. They interviewed Bob Boone and talked about the amazing catch Pete Rose made on a foul ball Boone had bobbled in game 6 of the 1980 World Series. Boone mentioned that the viewer should take a look how far down the dugout the ball had traveled. It was much closer to 1st base he said. Then he said "Charlie Hustle my ass" which made me laugh out loud. So i decided to try and get him to write that on a Charlie Hustle ball. He did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charliehustle.jpg (52.7 KB, 55 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Old 03-30-2018, 09:52 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

In the late 90's during "operation bullpen" it was discovered that most Mark McGwire signatures were fakes. Not this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macnodoubt.jpg (71.8 KB, 55 views)