NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Brad Francis

Default Gabby Street personal book collection

I have 4 books that belonged to Gabby Street. All four books are autographed and inscribed by the authors to Gabby. One book is inscribed by Steamboat Johnson, two by Fred Lieb, and one by Roy Stockton. Gabby's granddaughter gave them to a friend of mine, and he in turn offered them to me. I am hoping someone can give me their opinion about authenticity and what they might be worth. Are there collectors out there who might be interested in this sort of thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSbook2.jpg (67.6 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg GSbook1.jpg (68.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg GSbook3.jpg (60.9 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg GSbook4.JPG (73.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg GSbook5.JPG (77.6 KB, 201 views)
Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

There is a market for them. I have a few association books that were signed and inscribed to former players by the authors. Not to sure on the price my guess probably around $50 a piece. Others on here might have a better idea than me.

Last edited by parker1b2; 07-11-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:18 PM

Association copies are treasures and much sought after by a few book collectors. The Lieb copies are very nice, but the best of the 4 is the Steamboat Johnson in dust jacket, inscribed. Very nice. Check the books to see if there are any annotations or markings that may have been made by Street, this would increase the value and interest.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Brad Francis

Default Association books

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is an "association book"?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Max Weder

Brad

It's where the book is signed by the author to another famous person. Bruce and I like them :-). Standing the gaff is the only one that is tough at all, and since Steamboat self-published and sold the book, most copies are signed. But it's always neat to find one inscribed to someone with some fame (normally, books with an inscription to an unknown person are worth less than one simply signed by the author

Max
Old 07-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Brad Francis

Thanks guys. I may sell them but have no way of knowing a fair market value. I don't mind selling at a discount as long as I know beforehand what they "should" be worth. Any advice is welcome. I also have 1946 WS Cardinals, team signed, original Ford Frick ball that was Gabbys. It is quite faded but can still see who signed it. All of the stars and common team members are on it. Musial can be seen clearly, but again quite faded. This also came from his granddaughter. With a signed letter from her stating the ball was Gabbys.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I quickly looked on a bookseller site and found four singed copies of 'Standing the Gaff'.

Without DJ - $195.00
With DJ - $225, $350 and $350.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 07-11-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:35 PM

While I love books and think these are great items I think that it should be made clear that the prices that booksellers list for baseball books has little to do with there value. Books listed in the high hundreds on book collector sites will often sell for $50 on ebay. I think Barry once commented that upon seeing the prices listed by one seller he quickly offered to sell him his collection at 1/2 of the listed prices and got no response

Personally I think that the steamboat would be in the 100 range and all of the other in the 50 dollar range-- (with out the auto they are $10 books)

Jason
Old 07-12-2014, 12:54 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
While I love books and think these are great items I think that it should be made clear that the prices that booksellers list for baseball books has little to do with there value. Books listed in the high hundreds on book collector sites will often sell for $50 on ebay. I think Barry once commented that upon seeing the prices listed by one seller he quickly offered to sell him his collection at 1/2 of the listed prices and got no response

Personally I think that the steamboat would be in the 100 range and all of the other in the 50 dollar range-- (with out the auto they are $10 books)

Jason
I don't disagree with this assessment. In some cases the opposite is true. I find signed books on bookseller sights that I am able to sell for 4-5 times what they are asking for them. This happens to be early gold medal winning Olympians like James B. Connolly (first ever Olympic gold medalist), Eddie Eagan (only person to win gold in both winter and summer Olympics) and A.C.Gilbert (inventor of the Erector Set and pole vaulter).

Overall, I find their prices to be quite a bit unrealistic. I go for the exception rather than the rule and benefit from their lack of knowledge of the value outside of their expertise.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post

Jason
hope you remember this comment when it's time to sell YOUR books.