NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 PM

Default HOF Boxing RC list - the top 100 of all time.

Hi all, it's with sincere thanks that I give gratitude to everyone with their help on this top 50 list, and now I'm having thoughts on how to expand to a new top 100 boxing HOF RC list that includes the previously selected cards as well as other HOFers and iconic boxers. As before, I compiled a tentative 'next 50' list by referencing:

Bert Sugar's 100 greatest boxers of all time
Ring Magazine's Top 80 boxers of the Past 80 Years
Sports Illustrated top 50
Associated Press Fighters of the Century (5 member panel, Dec 1999)
IBHOF inductees

Any boxer on all 5 of the above lists (and not in the previous top 50 all time RC list already compiled) was included below, with the exception of boxers that as far as I could see had no cards anywhere near their playing days (f.ex Eder Jofre). I also tried to include a few more of the modern boxers to make the list a bit more contemporary. The highest ranking players on at least 3 or 4 of the 'top' lists were then cross referenced with the IBHOF list where applicable, bringing me to 50 names. Cards were the earliest true RC that I could find (with massive thanks to Alan's initial efforts due, of course), with the exception of a couple of cases where only one card is known to exist, which more or less makes it uncollectible as a set/list imho:

1886 N167 Old Judge Jem Carney
1886 N167 Old Judge Jack McAuliffe
1887 N184 Jack Dempsey (also N174 Old Judge, A&G N28)
1890 Mayo Barbados Joe Walcott
1901 Ogdens Terry McGovern
1901 Ogdens Philadelphia Jack O'Brien
1902 Ogdens George Dixon
1908 Ogdens Jim Driscoll
1908 Ogdens Abe Attell
1909 E75 American Caramel Battling Nelson
1910 T218 Mecca Young Corbett
1915 Cope Brothers Ted 'Kid' Lewis
1920 W529 Johnee Dundee
1920 W529 Jack Britton
1921 W551 Harry Greb
1921 W551 Pancho Villa
1926 Spalding Champions Tiger Flowers
1928 Greiling Panama Al Brown
1928/29 La Morena/Tab de Ind los Angola Kid Chocolate
1928/29 La Morena/Tab de Ind los Angola Tommy Loughran
1928/29 La Morena/Tab de Ind los Angola Jimmy McLarnin
1935 United Tobacco Barney Ross (before '41 release?)
1940 Spanish Boxing Serie A Billy Conn
1947 Cummings Rocky Graziano
1947 Cummings Ike Williams
1947 Cummings Manuel Ortiz
1951 Ringside Sandy Saddler
1951 Ringside Kid Gavilan
1966 Panini Dick Tiger
1966 Panini Fighting Harada
1967 Panini Emile Griffith
1967 Figuritas Sport Pascualito (Pascual) Perez
1969 Panini Bob Foster
1969 Panini Jose Napoles
1970 Panini Ruben Olivares
1972 Figuritas Starostra Carlos Monzon
1982 Panini Thomas Hearns
1982 Panini Wifred Benitez
1982 Panini Salvador Sanchez
1987 Panini Julio Cesar Chavez
1991 Kayo Roy Jones Jr
1991 Kayo Alexis Arguello
1991 Ringlords Lennox Lewis
1992 Impel Oscar de la Hoya
1996 Ringside Marco Antonio Barrera
1997 Browns Floyd Mayweather Jr.
1998 Japan World Boxing Khaosai Galaxy
1999 Japan World Boxing Manny Pacquiao
1999 Browns Bernard Hopkins
2001 Rookie Review Wladimir Klitschko and Vitaly Klitschko

other potential boxers for inclusion that i could not find cards for or are otherwise perhaps borderline 'top 100' cases, with my suggested strongest candidates in bold for those I could find cards for:

Eder Jofre (no cards?, 1991 AW)
Charley Burley (no cards?)
Aaron Pryor (nothing before 2008?)
Joe Brown (no cards? 1998 Futera Platinum boxing legends)
Miguel Canto (no cards?)
Carmen Basilio (1991 Kayo, 1958 Rekord)
Nonito Donaire (no cards?)
Carlos Zarate (no cards?)
Jimmy Bivins (no cards?)
Peter Jackson (1888 N332 Hess)
Earnie Shavers (1991 AW)
Kostya Tszyu (1994 Browns)
Beau Jack (1948 Leaf)
Maxie Rosenbloom (1930 La Estrella)
Erik Morales (1997 Browns)
Felix Trinidad (1996 Ringlords)
Julian Jackson (1991 Ringlords)
Juan Manuel Marquez (2008 Topps Co-Signers)
Fidel LaBarba (1926 Spalding Champions)
Matthew Saad Muhammad (1982 Panini)

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your thoughts both on who should / should not be included, and if there are any earlier issues of the players listed above to update this list accordingly. Thanks again, and I'm already looking forward to the debate and discussion.

Last edited by miklia; 03-07-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 PM

How is Teofilo Stevenson not included on this list, or the top 50 for that matter? He was one of the most feared boxers of all time.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Any list that excludes exhibit cards and postcards and premiums is deeply flawed, IMO. Just off the top of my head on your list:

Exhibits:
Tiger Flowers: 1923
Al Brown: 1925
Tommy Loughran: 1925
Kid Chocolate: 1928
Conn, Graziano, Wlliams, Ortiz, Saddler, Jack and Gavilan's exhibit cards all predate the sets listed.

Pascualito Perez: 1948 card from his gym and 1965 Argentinean card and a number of discs from Argentina pre-1967.

Carmen Basilio: Exhibit card, various premiums
Carlos Monzon: 1971 supers

Kid Gavilan: 1951 Bread For Energy

Jimmy Bivins: 1940s Exhibit card
Maxie Rosenbloom: 1928 Exhibit
Fidel LaBarba: 1926 Exhibit card

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-08-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 PM

OK, you sold me exhibitman - we're going to have to include some exhibits, because that's just far too many boxers that have much earlier cards. You mentioned several that have an exact date - have these been pinpointed merely through detective work, or are there other markers as well?

Some of those other cards are outstanding. loving the perez and monzon.

Teofilo - great boxer, but his 0-0 professional record doesn't help. are olympic medals enough?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 PM

I believe the main reason there are no postcards, exhibits or premiums is that PSA does not grade any boxing exhibits and very little postcards or premiums. It seems the main reason for this list is for the set registry, so it would be counter-productive to.list cards that can't be graded. Also, with most exhibits and postcards it is damn near impossible to get an exact date on most of them, so it becomes very hard to say that it is definitely a boxers first card. personally don't collect exhibits because I consider them to be postcards, which I also do not collect. Like I mentioned before it is almost impossible to date them (one of the reasons why PSA does not grade them). I don't consider postcards to be normal cards, or rookie cards for that matter, but many do and to each their own. For this list it looks like we have to follow what PSA considers a card, or rookie though.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Although that's a big help to have them in a PSA registry, it's not the only factor for me, especially if 20% of the cards in this set have earlier exhibit issues. For the first 50, there were only about 4-5 that had clear exhibit issues that were much earlier, if I remember correctly.

I'm also (perhaps blindly) optimistic that we can get PSA to reconsider about the boxing exhibits with a better pitch and more concrete information. They've actually been flexible and willing to work on a lot of this early boxing stuff despite the fact that it can't be making them any money when you consider the time involved. A professional presentation of all of the exhibit items as a concrete package to be graded that includes a true, researched catalog - as opposed to a random email just saying 'hey PSA, grade boxing exhibits! - would be taken seriously, even if the concept has been rejected before.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Actually all of the boxing exhibits for the 1920s have dated backs with bios and/or stats on them. That is why the sets are readily checklisted and the dates I listed for them are absolutes. Here's an example, a 1926 Loughran:

The fact that PSA does not grade them is an asinine reason not to acknowledge their existence. If the registry is the only consideration then don't call the list a RC list, call it a PSA registry list. I don't know why PSA won't grade them but SGC and BVG will.

As for PCs, they can often be dated precisely based on copyrights and postal usage. Like this Zercher, which was mailed several weeks after Willard took the title:

here's a PC of Dick Tiger that predates the card listed above by at least four years based on the titles listed [and not listed]:

Here's a Jimmy Bivins:

Strictly speaking, the prevalence of foreign cards on the list is problematic. As I recall it, a rookie card had to be available in the USA to be listed as other than an XRC.

1953 Ray Arcel promotional PC featuring Carmen Basilio

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-08-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Arthur R!ch

This is going ot be the eternal debate on this topic. What is considered a card? You could probably ask 50 people and get 50 different responses.

For me, a card is part of a set, no one-ofs. It's also something that is issued (or intended to be issued) in a pack of something -- tobacco, gum, candy, soap, hot dogs, or just a pack of the cards.

If we include fighter-issued promotional pieces should we include posters? Or photos? Or any item that simply uses the fighter's image?

I would include Exhibits but not post cards (unless issued as a set) or one-of promotional pieces.

And where did this notion come from that foreign cards don't count as rookies? I've never heard that one before. If that's the case, this is going to be one boring list.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
And where did this notion come from that foreign cards don't count as rookies? I've never heard that one before. If that's the case, this is going to be one boring list.

AND highly inaccurate.

To each, his own. Back into my hole.

Alan
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Back in the day when the rookie nonsense was at its height and Beckett was the only game in town, their classification of rookie cards excluded anything that was not available in the USA when issued. All of those cards were deemed "XRC" for "extra rookie cards" and not accorded the same valuation as a 'real' RC. All of the Leaf "RCs" from the 1980s were treated as XRCs, for example.

As for what is a card, that's another debate. One way that I frame it is that anything catalogued in the ACC is a card. That is pretty much my baseline, and it goes from there.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-08-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM

You learn something new everyday. I had no idea that Exhibits from the 1920's had dates on the back. I don't collect exhibits because I lump them in with postcards (which I don't consider cards, but many do). As for Beckett listing only American cards as rookies, they only covered the 4 major North American sports where that would make sense. Boxing cards are not from a purely North American sport, so that designation can not work for this sport. If that designation were to apply across the board then there would never be a cricket, rugby or any other foreign sport rookie because America doesnt make cards for these sports. Beckett only originally had price guides for the 4 North American sports, so it makes perfect sense that a rookie, according to them, could only come from N. America.

As for the argument about what a card is, I kind of go with the eye test. Exhibits look like postcards to me, so that is what I consider them. Sportscasters look like flimsy pieces of paper to me, so I consider them pictures on flimsy pieces of paper (although I do own some). Hemmets Journal "cards" were never meant to be cut in to cards, so I consider the Hemmets Journal Cassius Clay to be a picture cut out. No two people are going to agree on what is or what isn't a card every time, but we can all use our eyes and your logic to judge for yourself...Now it is off to bed for me since I have to be up bright and early to go to a charity bar crawl tomorrow haha.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Do they have to be a card?

How about a round metal disc..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ringo Bonavena (FT) round metal #41_001.jpg (67.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg El Dogo (FT) round metal #71_001.jpg (67.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Arthur R!ch

Issued in packs and part of a set... works for me. Rectangle, square, circle, rhombus, whatever.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Issued in packs and part of a set... works for me. Rectangle, square, circle, rhombus, whatever.
My all-time top 50 parallelogram set is not going well.

Thanks for the expert thoughts as always, guys. I'll continue to update the top post as we get more info and push towards consensus here and there. Exhibit cards with stats on back seem to be a no brainer now.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 PM

Where is an image of a B HOP Rookie? Awesome to see him win a title again this weekend.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Scott

Should the 1947 Cummings cards count as rookie cards? I like them, but think of them more as cartoon cards. [I am not a boxing card expert and don't know much about these cards' history - basing my thoughts just on the visual]
Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I just obtained an album of boxing cards from Sweden. It shows Braddock as world champ and Louis as a contender. Also has a card of Barney Ross in it as welterweight champ. It has a card of Jackie Brown as a bantam champ; he lost that title to Benny Lynch in September 1935. It also does not mention the 1936 Louis-Schmeling fight though it does mention the Walker-Schmeling fight, which took place in 1932. The cards are about the size of 1952 Topps baseball cards and are paper-thin. They are very firmly glued down so I cannot tell if they have printed backs. The publisher is known for a 1936 Olympics album.

Based on the content I'd say it is a 1935 issue and has 'rookie' cards of Louis and Ross. Here is the cover

Or not...
Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Default Interesting album

Adam,
Nice find. Tradera? I hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm as you make the transition into foreign cards (and "rookie" cards to boot), but I believe that album was released in 1936, not 1935. Nevertheless, great early "cards" of Louis and Braddock. Now if I could convince you that the 1964 Simon (and also macrobertson) are Ali's true rookie cards, the I would truly be a happy man.
Alan
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sorry, Alan, never gonna win that one.

I think it was a 1935 issue; the fighters in it and the write-ups don't make sense for 1936. Regardless, the Ross is the earliest thus far.

Or not...
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Adam,
Give me time.

Maybe I am confusing my albums, but is yours the one that has 32 or so paper-thin cards that covers the period of time between 1908 and 1935? If yes, then it's definitely a 1936 release.

It's this one, right? http://www.sportboken.com/artikel.as...2334&catid=932
Not bad for $50US, if only for the Ross rookie.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Sorry Adam, but Alan is right on this. I saw one of these albums on eBay a little while ago and immediately asked my 2 dealer friends in Sweden about it. They both said that it was 100% from 1936, so I stayed away because that means it wouldn't contain any top Heavyweight Champ Rookie cards. They also said that I probably would not consider them cards because they are more like glossy photos on regular paper, glued in to a photo type album. I have no idea if I would consider them cards or not but both dealers have dealt with me long enough to know the things that I would consider cards and to know the things that I would consider plain old photos.

As for what Alan considers Ali/Clay's rookie card I couldn't agree more. The 1960 Hemmets Journal was never meant to be cut out as a card. You can tell this by the fact that:
1. None were ever cut out before card grading came to be. They were meant to be kept in a two ring binder (look at the binder holes on the side).
2. You can not cut all 4 cards out with enough border for grading, which again proves that they were never meant to be cut out in the first place. If this were from 1968 would these have ever been cut out? Doubtful, but because someone found a picture of Clay published before any of his other cards they thought that they could cut it out, with proper borders, and sell it as his true rookie cards. You can also look at the back and realize that if it were meant to be cut out, then they probably would have made things a little more symmetical and clean looking than what is on the back. If this is a "card" than any magazine cut out that could resemble a "card" has to be a card.

With the 1962 Rekord Journal "card" it comes down to whether you consider magazine cut outs to be cards. I do not because I think this is really a stretch to consider these things cards. I go back to my "Faces in the Crowd" argument. If you consider the Rekord Journal picture cut outs, with Bio's, on regualr magazine paper then you would have to call "Faces in the Crowd" picture Bio's cards as well. "FITC" picture Bio's are pictures of the athlete that are a section of every Sports Illustrated magazine, just like the picture card was a part of every Rekord Magazine. By calling the Rekord Magazine picture bio a "card" it sets a horrible precedent for any magazine picture that is part of a regular section of a magazine/newspaper like "Faces in the Crowd" in SI top be called a card. If you have ever dealt with the Rekord Magazine cut outs they clearly are not cards. They are regular paper cut out pictures. I thought they were cards until I handled one and realized that all they were, were picture cut outs from a magazine. Just because there is a picture bio on the cover of every Rekord Journal magazine that does not make it a card.

The 1964 Simon Chocolates on the other hand meets every definition of a card and predates his Lampo and Panini, which makes it his True Rookie. It was distributed randomly, from a set, with a product (chocolates), just like tobacco cards at the turn of the 20th century. They are also factory cut and are on real card stock. This is the first card that is by all definitions a true undisputed card. It predates all of his other cards, besided the MacRobertson, except the "cards" that are really just magazine cut outs being passed off as cards for money reasons. As for the MacRobertson this can also be considered a rookie of his but if up against the Simon Chocolates I think the Simon wins for a couple reasons:
1. The eyes test- the Simon Chocolates looks like your typical card while the MacRobertson looks like a quiz game card, which it is.
2. Distribution_ The Simon card was distributed randomly from a set while the MacRobertson was distributed in the Quiz Game it went with, therefore it was not random (I think haha)
I have no problem with people considering the MacRobertson his true rookie but have no idea how anyone could consider his 1965 Lampo, which is not from a major card company, like Panini, a rookie card when at least 2 cards predate the Lampo. Some people will still consider the 1966 Panini his rookie because they only collect major manufacturers as rookies, which is all preference.

Those are my thoughts and I am sticking to them hahaha! Except, of course, the Swedish Album being from 1936. That is not a thought but a fact. Sorry Adam.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

OK, so it is a 1936; still the earliest Ross item I've found, until I get conclusive proof that the Exhibit card predates all of it. I really like the album, so unless one shows up with the picures unmounted I guess I won't know what's on the back, since I won't be destroying this album.

As for the Clay rookie, I have no stake in this; I don't even own a Rekord Clay. My interest is purely academic, but I cannot see declaring them not to be cards on the basis of any of the arguments made here. What's on the back of the Rekord cards? A biography.

What's around the Rekord cards? An individual border.

The Rekord cards even have stand-alone copyrights on them, which is about as clear a hallmark of intent to have them separated from the magazine as you can get. They were as intended to be cut out and collected as any Bazooka or Post or strip issue. I don't see how you can not classify them as cards. The SI column you reference is a page in a magazine with printing of something else on its back. It was never intended to be cut out or collected; it is not even close to the same thing. A better analogy is this Al Rosen from the back of a Dell comic book:

It actually has a border but has unrelated matter at the bottom. However, it was printed with the phrase "Cut this photo out. Look for different champion pictures in other Dell Comics." I would treat the cut item as a card because the manufacturing shows the intent to have it cut out and collected. Or how about these:

1949 Philadelphia Bulletin. These were part of the Sunday "Fun Book" and were intended to be cut out and collected.

IMO the Rekord cover cards show the same intent.

There are tons of other examples throughout the ACC and Standard Catalog. Not to mention stuff that is even more out there. How about these? 1955 Big League, Inc., classifed as UM8 in the ACC:

Again, collect whatever you want, but you have to admit that your classification is more or less arbitrary given the history of what has been accepted as a card.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:54 PM

So according to your logic any picture that is meant to be cut out is automatically a card? Do you believe that the picture on the full page comic is a card because they wanted you to cut it out and it featured an athlete? With the "Faces in the Crowd" each picture had a little bio next to it rather than on the back, so where the bio is located decides whether it is a card or not? Your 1949 Philadelphia Bulletin "cards" are almost identical to the "Faces in the Crowd" pictures? Also each "FITC" picture and bio is boxed off and separated with borders for each one individually, doesn't that make them "cards."

Just from looking at them quickly I wouldn't consider anything you have listed there as being cards. There are plenty of bordered newspaper pictures with Bio's or statistics attached to it but if you cut them out it does not make them cards. I tend to try to use my eyes and common sense to determine what is and what isn't a card. But a magazine or newspaper cut out is not a card to me, it is a cut out photo. What is the difference between these and any other regular bordered off photos in any newspaper or magazine? Is it the Bio or the fact that the Bio is located on the back? With Strip cards they are almost all on CARD stock, not regular paper. If it is on regular paper and has to be cut out by the owner than it isn't a card in my book, it is a photo cut out just like your Dell comic states "Cut this PHOTO out. Look for different champion PICTURES in other Dell Comics." It doesn't say cut this card out. It says cut this photo out. Your example just helped prove my argument.

I don't use the ACC or any other catalog to determine that pictures cut out of a magazine or newspaper are not cards. I just use common sense. I have never actually seen the ACC. Hell, I had never even heard of it before but if it is stating that these things that you have pictured are cards, then I probably don't want to read it.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No, that is incorrect. What I said is clear and I will leave it at that.

I am happy you do not consider the things I've referenced cards; I can look forward to no competition from you when I bid on them.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-22-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM

What did you say that was clear? What makes any of those cut outs cards? The fact that some were intended to be cut out?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 PM

I don't think you have to worry about a lot of people on here bidding against you on the majority of those haha. Besides the Rekords, which some people do consider cards, I don't think you're going to have any competition for those items from any of the CARD collectors here. Everyone should collect anything that makes them happy, but these magazine cut outs shouldn't be mentioned in the rookie discussion, which is where this discussion started in the first place. I used to think Rekord cards were rookies, until I actually handled them and realized that they were nothing more than cut out pictures on regular paper that disn't resemble a card in any way, besides that it had a picture and name of the athlete. I am not saying that they aren't cool items. I am just saying that picture cut outs from magazines cannot be considered in the rookie discussion because with out them being either made of card stock, or at least a different stock than the regular magazine, or factory cut, or at least factory perforated, they are not cards. I don't think I am alone in thinking that cards should be, you know, cards haha! I think for it to be a card it should be a different material than the actual magazine or it should be pre-cut in the.magazine. If neither of these factors are there, then it is a cut out picture, whether it was intended to be cut for collecting purposes or not. If one of those 2 factors are present than it can be considered in the rookie discussion.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here is a better image of the Monzon. Also, I am thinking that the set may be a 1970 issue. The first line of Monzon's bio reads "world middleweight champion from the November 7, 1970 and bears an impressive series of victories -63- not being defeated in 7 years" Monzon had 69 straight wins by the end of 1970. Also, since the set is primarily a soccer set and the summer in Argentina is the winter here, perhaps they issue cards in the fall the way our mfgs issue in the spring? I did look it up and the Argentinean pro league season is August-May, broken into two sessions the first of which ends in December, which does suggest that the cards could be made in the fall to match the soccer seasons.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-16-2013 at 11:00 AM.