NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 12-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I am waiting to buy a UK 10 because it isn't the rookie and overtime the market is more broadly realizing it.
So only the Italian back is his RC and not the UK version? Weren't they released the same year? Please explain. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM
David Peck

The Italian is 86 and the UK is 87. I figured it out when I read the back of a U.K. and it talked about a tennis tournament from 87. Getting my haircut and will update further later. Think it was Australian open. It also has a 87 copyright on the album.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 12-28-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:03 PM
David Peck

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...ajor-update/p5

Here is the thread. It is the Australian Open. I posted in another thread the initial proof with the info from the back but forgot which one it was and wrote French Open here.

BGS started labeling them from 1987 first and now PSA does.

The UK back is cool but not the rookie.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:11 PM
David Peck

Here is the SMR info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMRTyson.jpg (76.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg SMRTyson2.jpg (78.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 12-28-2017, 06:31 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

That's great info, David. I had no idea about the differences in the UK vs. Italian versions. Love learning about some of the "rookie" options for athletes not in the 4 major sports. Tyson, Pele, Ali, Jesse Owens, etc. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Great post.

I do have the book but haven't made it very far with it. It is a tough read early on when talking about his childhood. Your post already convinced me I need to pick it back up.

Yes I am a financial advisor and it is amazing what money can do if left untouched. It is easier said than done with the 24 hour news cycle.

Just to out of curiosity I watched some Foreman clips and he fought a bunch of out of shape guys too.

What is interesting to me about the collectability of Tyson is when I first started posting on card message boards it was because I was researching the Tyson sticker and found a post on CU talking about the little bidding war I got into with another collector in 2010 and signed up to comment. I won the sticker for $82 and immediately went and cleaned out Martin Bradford who was the only person with stickers for sale. I bought 4 more of the Panini for $15 to $25 a pop and three of the 88 ones for something similar. I started posting about it and most thought because of Tyson's personal history they had no chance to rise. Thankfully a seller from Cyprus had a hoard of the 86 Panini and I loaded up on pack fresh copies. Myself and another guy from the CU board sent in copies to PSA at the same time and his popped first and was a UK back and mine second which was the first Italian back to be graded. I was thrilled when they ran up initially and shocked when they doubled basically overnight and while they have backed off a little I still think they are under priced relative to other major rookies. Time will tell. I sold off a good number over the years and now have a 10 which I bought, 5 9's, an 8 and a UK 8 and a beater. I am waiting to buy a UK 10 because it isn't the rookie and overtime the market is more broadly realizing it. I get emails from random people asking to buy one of my copies but they are staying in my collection.
By all means, dive back into the Tyson book. It is hard to put down once he turns pro and gives background on what so many of his opponents were like outside the ring and the craziness that was going on in Tyson's life.

I don't want to give too much away, because it is such an amazing read. But Tyson said Larry Holmes told him that he (Tyson) is not a pimple on Holmes' ass and that Holmes was the real legend. Holmes further told Tyson that he will eventually destroy himself, which Tyson conceded was correct.

Tyson talked about how much it pissed him off to hear everyone talk about what a great guy Evander Holyfield was because he would constantly "talk that Jesus shit." Meanwhile, Holyfield would constantly hit on the break and rabbit punch. As I was reading the book, I would often put it down and go watch YouTube clips to see what Tyson was talking about regarding a particular fight.

Tyson is completely up front in stating that he was an arrogant asshole when he was 21 years old. One of the things he really feels bad about now was Pinklon Thomas sticking his hand out to shake Tyson's hand at the pre-fight press conference. Tyson responded by telling Thomas that he should get down on his knees and perform a sex act just for having the chance to share a ring with Tyson.

The book is very r-rated.

One other quick anecdote is that Tyson talks about Marvis Frazier (famously destroyed in 30 seconds by Tyson) being way too nice a guy to be involved in a scummy sport like boxing. Tyson wrote that Marvis Frazier really didn't want to box, but was only doing so to try and make his father proud.

Yes, Foreman did fight some stiffs. But my post was largely in the context that he was viewed as an unbeatable killing machine by the time he fought Ali in Zaire. Ali was viewed as being old and having no shot at the guy who had completely destroyed Joe Frazier to win the title.

Last edited by Bored5000; 12-28-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
The Italian is 86 and the UK is 87. I figured it out when I read the back of a U.K. and it talked about a tennis tournament from 87. Getting my haircut and will update further later. Think it was Australian open. It also has a 87 copyright on the album.
The UK version is from 1987? O H M Y G O D ! ! ! Think of all the "rookie investors" who spent thousands of dollars on the PSA 10 UK version. Now that we know it's a second-year card, it's obviously worth way less. These guys lost lots of money due to PSA's error. I do own one UK version, and it's a PSA 8, but I didn't spend too much on it - thank God I didn't go after the 9s and 10s! PSA incorrectly labeled mine as the Italian version and put the year down as 1985 - that's TWO errors on one label! They really have no clue what they're doing, do they?

So Does Tyson have 3 second-year Panini cards?

- UK Foil (#109)
- UK Supersport (#153)
- Italian Supersport (#160)
Old 12-29-2017, 12:53 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
The UK version is from 1987? O H M Y G O D ! ! ! Think of all the "rookie investors" who spent thousands of dollars on the PSA 10 UK version. Now that we know it's a second-year card, it's obviously worth way less. These guys lost lots of money due to PSA's error. I do own one UK version, and it's a PSA 8, but I didn't spend too much on it - thank God I didn't go after the 9s and 10s! PSA incorrectly labeled mine as the Italian version and put the year down as 1985 - that's TWO errors on one label! They really have no clue what they're doing, do they?

So Does Tyson have 3 second-year Panini cards?

- UK Foil (#109)
- UK Supersport (#153)
- Italian Supersport (#160)

I have no clue how many 10's there really are. The combined pop reports show 11 but I know for fact there are one or two UK copies labeled Italian and of those 5 are UK currently.

Here are the first two I got graded. I wrote in 1986 but they labeled them 1985.

1 1 18761404 MINT 9 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Mike Tyson Card
1 2 18761405 MINT 9 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Mike Tyson Card

I just checked and they are back in the 1985 population report!

Here is the next wave. They too are back in the 1985 population totals.

11 1 18632577 MINT 9 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Mike Tyson Card
12 1 18632578 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Mike Tyson Card
13 1 18632579 MINT 9 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Mike Tyson Card

Okay this is really odd. Now these that were graded as 86 show 85 for Italian and it shows the UK as 1987. All slabbed 1986.

9 1 19707443 MINT 9 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Mike Tyson Card
9 2 19707444 NEAR MINT 7 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Mike Tyson Card
9 3 19707445 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 Panini Supersport Italian 153 Mike Tyson Card
10 1 19707447 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1987 Panini Supersport UK 153 Mike Tyson Card

Yes whomever purchased the UK PSA 10's did buy a second year card. With it being the same image it will remain popular but defiantly not the rookie.

These are the following Panini Tyson's in order.

1986 Panini Italian #153

1987 Foil UK #109

1987 Panini UK #153

1988 Panini #160 Bianchi Back (most common) Supersport Back and Gritti Back.

I am even more confused at this point about the actual population totals than ever before.

My PSA 10 shows in the 1986 Totals.

https://www.psacard.com/cert/21309877/

Last edited by Dpeck100; 12-29-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

David,

Don't even bother trying to figure out the population for these cards or you're going to make your head explode! PSA has gotten everything mixed up. The only way they can really fix this mess is if everyone sends theirs back to them. They would then have to 1) fix the labels and 2) fix their online population report. It'll be a big job. Anyways, I'm going to send mine back so they can fix the label, or should I just leave it the way it is?
Old 12-29-2017, 03:07 PM
David Peck

I see you live in Canada. That could get expensive shipping it there and back if PSA doesn't cover the cost.

Personally I am not a fan of sending my graded cards off and that is why I haven't ever done any formal reviews but many people do it. If you decide to go that route I think I would contact PSA and see if they will cover the cost.

I was thrilled when I was able to uncover that the image is from his interview at the 11:09 mark of his fight with Sammy Scaff from December 6th 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvPByKY8w6s&t=681s

My main focus is wrestling and the 1986 WWF OPC Series II is labeled 1985 and it is a set based around Wrestlemania II which took place April 7th 1986. A lot of the sets that had limited information and collectors interested have some labeling errors that is for sure.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 12-29-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:31 AM
Arthur R!ch

You guys are pissing into the wind. The boxing pop report is chock full of gross errors that will never be fixed. There's a 1942 set they have listed as 1935 that has Joe Louis in it so people have been buying it since day 1 thinking they're getting a Joe Louis rookie. Not to mention that the Louis card is at least double-printed, possibly reprinted, that accounts for the vast majority of Louis examples out there.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx

Last edited by HasselhoffsCheeseburger; 12-30-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Or this:

The mfg is Crack. The set is Sport. The word "figuritas" means large cards. They have it right in 1965 with "Crack Golazo Figuritas".

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-30-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:16 PM
Arthur R!ch

The '67 set Crack Campeon. The album says Figuritas Sport the same way we'd have an album that says sports cards. Most of the albums from that era have those generic titles on them in some way, shape or form. Which also helps screw everything up when someone provides one to PSA and says "here, see? the name of the set is Figuritas Sport."

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 12-30-2017, 02:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Maybe they thought Crack was a joke.

Or not...
Old 12-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Arthur R!ch

The funny part is that they just put on the flip whatever you write in your book. So for the '62 Cassius, instead of labeling it 1962 Po-Po, they put 1962 Po-Po Boxing Disc. I've abandoned all hope.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Funny cause when I try to get them to slab something in my book they act like they don’t know what I am talking about.

Or not...
Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Arthur R!ch

Weird. I have a pretty high success rate just by putting in the comment section something like "cataloged in Adam W's book blah blah blah on page" and then other stuff if it pertains like "you've already graded one other example from this set" stuff like that. To be honest, I'm not sure I remember a time when I referenced your book that they didn't slab it.

I don't think they like you.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:33 AM
Arthur R!ch

You have the '66 Maravillas in your South America section, right?

Arthur

Old 12-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I know they don't like me; few people do.

The Maravillas are either in the book or will be in the next one. I lost a few pages last time around. Besides, I need to get my Fighting Harada slabbed.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-31-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Arthur R!ch

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.

Or not...