NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Show your Latest Pickup

Glad to get this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N269 John L. Sullivan.jpg (53.2 KB, 471 views)
Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

nice!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-18-2009, 02:44 PM
qualitycards

Aaron Fantastic pickup.

I grabbed this the other night

Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 AM

Default Latest greatest card - woo hoo

I am still very thrilled with the newly graded 1967 Cassius Clay w/ Valida back - see just prior post 4 scan - big smile - love the Panini Cassius Clay cards !

steve
Old 07-19-2009, 09:50 AM

Default My Latest

Picked up the Corbett in this scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L&N.jpg (52.0 KB, 448 views)
Old 07-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Andy, nice cabinet. Got this one recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N310 Joe Walcott SGC 30.jpg (50.3 KB, 416 views)
Old 07-25-2009, 09:51 PM

Picked up this card at a local antique mall. Only one in the world graded by PSA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeffries super rare.jpg (89.3 KB, 415 views)
Old 11-16-2009, 07:19 AM

Latest pickup.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That is a beautiful card! I did manage to clear this one off my want list:

Or not...
Old 11-16-2009, 12:20 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

here I present my "Black guy in underwear" as my wife calls it

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 11-16-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:59 AM

"Old Smoke"

Old 11-22-2009, 07:29 AM
T0NY @

Nice Woods cabinet Aaron. Here's a Wood's piece I just picked up as well.
This makes 19 of these now, (J. Woods cabinets) that I have been able to
accumulate.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:31 PM

Nice photo on the Dempsey. Congrats on the addition to your group.

Last edited by aaroncc; 11-22-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default 1935 Brown & Bigelow Joe Louis

The Brown Bomber was just 21 years old when this was produced. It measures 9.75" x 12" and is on heavy paper/light cardboard.

Also, got this Clay for fun. Not in the greatest shape but for under $6 I couldn't resist:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-24-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Andy,

"Fistic Festivities" in New Orleans with Corbett and Sullivan? Now THAT sounds like a party!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Stanley Ketchell

I just received the T218 today and the E79 a month ago or so.

With Tiger Woods in the news more any of the important stories that will affect us all, how would today's media handle the Stanley Ketchell story?

The papparazzi would go insane! Champion boxer shot and killed over breakfast by a jealous husband on ranch outside of Springfield, MO. The Queen City of the Ozarks would never be the same.

Regardless, I'm happy to have the cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K T218.jpg (76.4 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg K E79.jpg (78.2 KB, 222 views)
Old 12-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Dave

Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Gotta ask: DHogan related to Johnny Hogan?

Or not...
Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Dave

No sir. Not that I know of. I collect any pre-war cards of anyone named Hogan.

Last edited by DHogan; 12-06-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Glad to get this one. Anybody else have anything to show?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fox.jpg (74.3 KB, 225 views)
Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Did pick up a few very tough types long on my want list:

And this image of Jim Jeffries' Barn in Burbank, CA, near my office, now the site of a shopping center:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-17-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default 1930-71 Boxing Exhibits

I recently got this Sammy Angott error card on eBay from our favorite boxing card writer. Below it are the two correct cards.

I need 30 more cards for the basic set and 70 for the master set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Angott wrong.jpg (64.3 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Angott right.jpg (83.4 KB, 177 views)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not sure what you mean by master and basic, Jerry. I know I'm 30 cards shy of a full (for now) binder but there are numerous picayune variations (coloring, Made in USA placements, cropping, etc.) that I find every time I get a new lot. Part of what makes this fun...

Or not...
Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Master Set Explantion

Originally, my goal was to complete the set according to the 2004 checklist in America's Great Boxing Cards. It did not include "Hometown" variations. In my own mind I considered this to be the basic set.

When I updated to the 2010-11 book the checklist included the "Hometown" variations. Naturally, at that point I the felt a need to complete the entire set. So, I describe this as the Master Set. Kind of a tribute to the hardcore T-206'ers.

Probably makes no sense to anyone but me and I'm a little cloudy. I imagine I should drop the terminology since I have committed to the entire set per the current checklist.

Last edited by Jerry G; 07-27-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have terrible news for you, Jerry there are more... And I'm not counting the different shades, only the cards that had to be re-shot to create them.

Or not...
Old 07-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

You're killing me, Adam.

I think I'll call it complete with the different poses and with or with out hometowns...at least until I get closer.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Me too, buddy. Just when I think I'm close, they move the goal line...

Some of the variations are subtle enough that you have to have the cards side by side to see them. I've gotten to the point that I compare every card that goes through my hands with the ones already in my collection, just in case. That's how I uncovered some of the new variations.

One of these days I'll have to do an update on my site.

Or not...
Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default I am very excited to get the autograph of one of my heroes

1951 Topps Ringside card contract from The Topps Vault. The Topps logo is a watermark.

Barney Ross [born Dov-Ber (or Beryl) Rasofsky] was born in New York City to Isidore "Itchik" Rasofsky and Sarah Epstein Rasofsky. His father was a Talmudic scholar who had emigrated to America from his native Brest-Litovsk after barely surviving a pogrom. The family then moved from New York to Chicago. Isidore became a rabbi and owner of a small vegetable shop in Chicago's Maxwell Street neighborhood, a vibrant Jewish ghetto akin to the New York's Lower East Side of the 1920s and '30s.

The young Rasofsky grew up on Chicago's mean streets, ultimately ignoring his father's admonition that Jews do not fight back.

"'Let the atheists be the fighters,'" Ross later recalled being told by his father. "'The trumbeniks, the murderers - we are the scholars.'" Ross's ambition in life was to become a Jewish teacher and a Talmudic scholar, but his life was changed forever when his father was shot dead resisting a robbery at his small grocery. Prostrate from grief, his mother Sarah suffered a nervous breakdown and his younger siblings—Ida, Sam and George—were placed in an orphanage or farmed out to other members of the extended family. Dov and his older brothers Ben and Morrie were left to their own devices.

In the wake of the tragedy, Dov became vindictive towards everything and turned his back on the orthodox religion of his father. He began running around with local toughs (including another wayward Jewish ghetto kid, the future Jack Ruby), developing into a street brawler, thief and money runner; he was even employed by Al Capone. Dov's goal was to earn enough money to buy a home so that he could reunite his family. He saw boxing as that vehicle and began training with his friend Ruby.

After winning amateur bouts, Dov would pawn the awards—like watches—and set the money aside for his family. There is speculation that Al Capone bought up tickets to his early fights, knowing some of that money would be funneled to Dov. Plagued by his father's death and feeling an obligation not to sully his name, Dov Rasofsky took the new name "Barney Ross." The name change was also part of a larger trend by Jews to assimilate in the U.S. by taking American-sounding names. Strong, fast and possessed of a powerful will, Ross was soon a Golden Gloves champion and went on to dominate the lighter divisions as a pro.

At a time—the late 1920s and '30s—when rising Nazi leader Adolf Hitler was using propaganda to spread his virulently anti-Jewish philosophy, Ross was seen by American Jews as one of their greatest advocates. He represented the concept of Jews finally fighting back. Idolized and respected by all Americans, Ross showed that Jews could thrive in their new country. He made his stand against Hitler and Nazi Germany a public one. He knew that by winning boxing matches he was displaying a new kind of strength for Jews. He also understood that Americans loved their sports heroes, and if Jews wanted to be embraced in the U.S. they would have to assume such places in society. So even though Ross had lost faith in religion, he openly embraced his role as a leader of his oppressed people.

Ross occupies the rarifed place as one of boxing's few triple division champions—lightweight, junior welterweight and welterweight. He was never knocked out in 81 fights, and held his title against some of the best competition in the history of the divisions. Ross defeated great Hall of Fame champions like Jimmy McLarnin and Tony Canzoneri in epic battles that drew crowds of more than 50,000.

His first paid fight was on September 1, 1929, when he beat Ramon Lugo by a decision in six rounds. After ten wins in a row, he lost for the first time, to Carlos García, on a decision in ten.

Over the next 35 bouts, his record was 32–1–2, including a win over former world champion Battling Battalino, and one over a boxer named Babe Ruth (though not the baseball player). Another bout included former world champion Cameron Welter. Then, in March 26, 1933, Ross was given his first shot at a world title, when he faced world Lightweight and Jr. Welterweight champion and fellow three divisions world champions club member Tony Canzoneri in Chicago. In only one night, Ross became a two division world champion when he beat Canzoneri by a decision in ten rounds. It should be pointed out that Ross campaigned heavily in the city of Chicago. After two more wins, including a knockout in six over Johnny Farr, Ross and Canzoneri boxed again, and Ross won again by decision, but this time in 15.

Ross was known as a smart fighter with great stamina. He retained his title by decision against Sammy Fuller to finish 1933, and against Peter Nebo to begin 1934. Then he defended against former world champion Frankie Klick, against whom he drew in ten. Then came the first of three bouts versus Jimmy McLarnin. Ross vacated the Jr. Welter title to go after McLarnin's belt and won by a 15 round decision, joining the three division world champions club. However, in a rematch a few weeks later, McLarnin beat Ross by a decision recovering the title, and after that, Ross went back down to the Jr. Weterweights and reclaimed his title in a fight for the belt left vacant by himself, with a 12 round decision over Bobby Pacho. After beating Klick and Henry Woods by decision to retain that title, he went back up in weight for the last fight in his trilogy with McLarnin, and recovered the title by outpointing McLarnin again over 15 rounds. He won 16 bouts in a row after that, including three over future world Middleweight champion Ceferino Garcia, and one against Al Manfredo. His only two defenses, however, on that stretch were against Garcia and against Izzy Jannazzo beaten on points in 15.

In his last fight, Ross defended his title, on May 31, 1938, against the fellow member of the three division world champions' club Henry Armstrong who beat him by a decision in 15. Although Armstrong pounded Ross inexorably, and his trainers begged him to let them stop the fight, Ross absorbed the abuse and refused to stop. And he refused to go down. Barney Ross was never knocked out in his career and was determined to leave the ring on his feet. Some boxing experts view Ross's performance against Armstrong as one of the most courageous in history. Some believe that Ross's will to survive every tough fight on his feet had to do with his understanding of his symbolic nature as a Jew. That is, Jews would not only fight back, but they wouldn't go down.

Ross retired with a record of 72 wins, 4 losses, 3 draws and 2 no-contests, with 22 wins by way of knockout.

Ross was ranked #21 on Ring Magazine's list of the 80 Best Fighters of the Last 80 Years.

U.S. Marine Barney Ross

Allegiance United States of America
Service/branch United States Marine Corps
Battles/wars World War II — Battle of Guadalcanal
Awards Silver Star

In retirement in his early thirties, Ross decided to fight in World War II and joined the United States Marine Corps. However, the Marines wanted to keep him stateside and use his celebrity status to boost morale. Most of the athletes of the era like heavyweight champion Jack Dempsey had ceremonial roles in the military, but Ross insisted on fighting for his country. He was sent to Guadalcanal in the South Pacific, where one night, he and three other comrades were trapped under enemy fire. All three of his fellow Marines were wounded, as was Ross, and he was the only one able to fight. And fight he did. Ross gathered his comrades' rifles and grenades and single-handedly fought nearly two dozen Japanese soldiers over an entire night, killing them all by morning. Two of the Marines with him had died in the battle, but he carried the remaining man on his shoulders to safety; the other man weighed 230 lb (104 kg) compared to Ross' 140 lb (64 kg). Because of his heroism, Ross was awarded America's third highest military honor, the Silver Star as well as a Presidential Citation. As America's greatest "celebrity" war hero he was honored by President Roosevelt in a Rose Garden ceremony.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-01-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 PM

Fantastic pick-up Adam !!!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM
JJ

Very nice Sullivan aaron. I am gonna try bulking up my collection here soon. Had a lot of projects this past June/July.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks JJ. Let me know if I can help out with your collection.