NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 PM

Default Pacquiao vs Mayweather

Let's hear some discussion about pacquiao vs mayweather. Do you think this fight is going to happen? Who do you think will win and why???
Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default yes

it will happen now that they are both past their prime...

tyson/hollyfield happened like 6 years too late...jail had a part of it.but it was delayed before jail too...
Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Dave

IMO it's about 5 years too late to even be relevant anymore.

It's like Ali & Frazier finally getting it on when they were in their mid to late 30's.

It's like Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Roberto Duran III, except it will be the first time they fight.

It won't mean anything in the long run. Won't settle any arguments about who was better. I'm sure it will make a ton of money, but to many hardcore fans, it won't mean much.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 12-04-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 AM
T0NY @

I'm no Mayweather fan by any means, but I think he beats Pacquiao both in their prime and today if they get in the ring.

Pacquiao's style falls right into Mayweathers wheel house in my opinion. He's just to quick.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:33 AM

I think the fight will happen. There is a rumor that Mayweather wants a rematch put in the contract. So would be interesting to see. Like they say style makes fights. But even with mayweathers excellent defense I think Pacman has too much pressure. Pac by ko in middle rounds........
Old 12-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

MP by decision. Five years ago Pacman was lightning fast, easily as quick as Mayweather, with insane lateral movement and ability to punch in bunches from odd angles, and would have broken him down inside of 8 rounds. He's lost just enough of his speed to make him seem a safe risk for Mayweather to take, and Mayweather is all about safety. Which is why I think Pacquiao will win by decision. Mayweather will go into a shell and not be able to get enough work done to win a decision. Plus you know that Freddie Roach will be all over the NSAC and the ref about Mayweather's cheating. His best weapon, frankly, is the forearm he uses like an NFL lineman in the 1970s. Take that away from Mayweather and he is a turtle.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
I'm no Mayweather fan by any means, but I think he beats Pacquiao both in their prime and today if they get in the ring.

Pacquiao's style falls right into Mayweathers wheel house in my opinion. He's just to quick.

I agree, but at this time it's a moot point IMO. Should have happened a long time ago, and BOTH parties are to blame.

Manny went life and death for 4 fights with Marquez. I don't see how that translates into him doing well against Mayweather, who is bigger, quicker and just as skilled as Marquez.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Peter

I agree with the crowd that each fighter's best years are behind them. If a fight would have occurred a bit earlier, I would have called it a coin toss. Two great athletes with such clashing styles would have made for an unpredictable outcome.

However, if they fought this weekend I would list Mayweather as the favorite with little hesitation. Aging has affected both fighters, but its been worse for Pacquiao. I think that's just natural for a volume puncher like him. He's also lost some of the stopping power he used to have.

Mayweather is so technical on defense and effective with counter-punching that it's hard to look really good against him. And he always seems to understand exactly what he needs to do to win the later rounds. I see Mayweather getting a close decision over Pacquiao.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Murr the Blurr

I agree with Adam. It will come down to Pac Man's speed and volume punching being too much for Mayweather's counters. I live and work in China and visited Pac's training camp in General Santos City prior to covering his two bouts in Macao. He routinely spars with bigger, stronger guys and has no problem adapting his angles to offset superior power. IMO, Mayweather's slickness will be offset by Manny's relentless agression inside, resulting in the bigger man becoming frustrated to the point where he'll make the mistake of trying to go toe-to-toe. Pac Man's bigger heart wins the day via late-round stoppage.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:02 PM
John Wondowski

As a 40 year boxing fan, but a neophyte in the actual art, I would like to see Pacquiao win. To me boxing is about hurting the other guy. Marciano, Norton, Hagler - they won on inflicting damage. Mayweather, as great as he is (and he is one of the greatest), wins by outboxing his opponent. Many boxing fans love his technical ability. A classic dichotomy - bloodsport vs. technical merit. I kinda like bloodsport.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Peter

Default Mayweather v Pacquiao

We're getting closer, inch-by-inch. Mayweather and Pacquiao met and exchanged contact info during halftime of a recent NBA game. It's seeming like there is a possibility this is going to go down for real. Pacquiao has formally agreed to all of the demands from the Mayweather camp...now it is all on Floyd.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...iami-heat-game
Old 01-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Manny went life and death for 4 fights with Marquez. I don't see how that translates into him doing well against Mayweather, who is bigger, quicker and just as skilled as Marquez.
Styles. Boxing matchups are not commutative. Ali went life and death with Frazier but Foreman demolished Frazier, so Foreman should have demolished Ali, right? Wasn't the case. Ali wasn't the kind of heavy handed guy who could hurt Frazier; Big George was. Frazier said Foreman's punches hurt in ways that Ali's never did. Foreman wasn't the kind of boxer who could simply pile up points and go for 15 rounds. He expected to kill his opponents, and when he couldn't kill Ali he got gassed and then lost. Kind of what Hopkins expected to do to Kovalev last year; he figured Kovalev would get winded and then lose in the later rounds but he was wrong.

Marquez is basically a great counter-puncher who is sufficiently aggressive to make a fight with a great attacker and has bulked up substantially since the Mayweather fight. He stank it up against Mayweather partially because he had to make the entire fightand partially because it was obvious early on that he could not hurt FM, which let FM dictate the fight and not worry about getting KO'd. That version of JMM lost to Chris John [legitimately; I remember watching it and thinking where the hell has this guy Chris John been]. Against an attacking force like Pacquiao, he matched up well, especially after he got his camp together and into the 21st century, but I think he was on his way down in the last fight. Pacquiao beat the hell out of JMM in the prior round and was doing the same until he ran into that counter. I don't think JMM would have made it out of the round without that shot.

FWIW, I do not believe that Mayweather will ever agree to fight Pacquiao. I don't think he wants to risk the 0.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-28-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 PM

Looks like May 2nd is set. Crazy pay per view price. But I will be watching........................
Old 02-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Me too. I hope Mayweather is KTFO.

Or not...
Old 02-21-2015, 07:03 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Me too. I hope Mayweather is KTFO.
It about $....sucks that we cheated from a better fight if they fought years ago..

however as far as legacy goes..mayweather wont gain much now with a win as his opponent has lost several times in recent fights...but his opponent's legacy can be enhanced with a win even though they are both in their 30s..
Old 02-21-2015, 07:07 PM
Roy W.
Banned

Almost $100 for the pay per view 6 years after the fact??....yeah right. They'll still make money, but I promise you if this fight would have happened 6 years ago while both fighters were on top of the world and still young it would have made A LOT more money than it will make now when both are already washed up and looking for one final mega payday

I'll be passing on this one.....6 years ago I'm a buyer, not now. Not to mention the fight is in Vegas (aka Mayweather's town) (aka Manny needs a thorough KO to even win). There will be NO decision in Manny's favor even IF he outclasses him every round. He can't and won't get a decision in Vegas.

Last edited by HappyJack41; 02-21-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 PM

This fight still counts and I wouldn't doubt if there will be a second and third fight. Not sure whats in the contract. But I wouldn't discount this fight. Pac losing several fights recently?? Try two fights. Can you really count the Bradley loss? No one else does. No shame in losing to Marquez. He has won and lost to that great fighter. You have to go back 10 years to find another loss. Pac and Mayweather is still a good fight today. But with styles making fights we will have to wait and see. I'm looking forward to this fight and seeing Mayweathers face when he is against the ropes.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:43 AM

Ready to watch this fight. Still going for pacman by KO. Anybody else watching this and who do you pick?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Dave

I'll be at Foxwoods to see this at a Closed Circuit showing. I'm gonna go with Mayweather. My head says decision, but think it's in the realm of possibility Mayweather gets a later round TKO, unless he steps off the gas in anticipation of a possible rematch.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Murr the Blurr

Pac Man wins by TKO in Round 11.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My heart says Pacman by KO; if I had to put money on it, I'd say Mayweather by decision. I think he is going to try and sting Pacman in the first round or two to generate just a touch of hesitation in Manny, then play his usual run and hide game for the rest of the way and win it 9-3 or 8-4 in a mostly dull technical fight.

Or not...
Old 05-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I heard today, that someone put half-mill on Pac-man.
With the weigh-in only by 1 pound, thought MW was a bigger dude, but is a bit taller. I dont watch boxing, but know the names here, I'll leave it at 50% chance MW wins.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 05-03-2015, 01:25 AM
ThreadKiller

Default did NOT buy / see the fight...

was pulling for Pac Man to win, but...

thoughts from the experts ???

thanks.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Went just as I expected. Mayweather figured out that he was too quick for Pacquiao and spent the last half of the fight boxing him easily.

Or not...
Old 05-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Murr the Blurr

Manny and Freddie had a dumb fight plan. Nobody who moves forward in a straight line is going to beat Mayweather. Pac's best weapon is his feet -- and he didn't use 'em. He should have slipped laterally (like he did against Rios and Algeri), thereby forcing Mayweather to punch at uncomfortable angles and leave himself open to follow up rights. Also, Manny's vaunted volume punching never materialized. In the three rounds he won, Pac held nearly a 3-1 ratio in landed power punches ... but he couldn't sustain the output. Give Mayweather credit, though -- he stuck to his fight plan, never panicked, and won it going away. It was reasonably entertaining and the richest fight in history for sure ... but way, way down the list of the 'biggest' or 'most significant.'
Old 05-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Peter

Default my two cents

As others have said, the fight went just about how I thought it would. However, there were some minor surprises. I was a little shocked when I heard Manny say he thought he had won. It's common in the sport for fighters to say such things during the post-fight-in-the-ring interviews, but I didn't expect it from Manny. That was a little disappointing. The judges came through with sound scoring. I wonder if he genuinely thought he won or not.

Also, what the heck was up with the entourages? Kimmel with Manny and the Burger King with Floyd. Promotion? Publicity? I know that Kimmel had joked about it with Manny, but c'mon. No wonder less and less people take the sport seriously.

Overall, I thought it was a nice, technical, fun to watch fight. Yet judging from my coworkers reactions, I don't think it is going to bring many new fans to the sport. Oh well.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:33 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

I saw some reality TV fights that were better than this pathetic fight. Mayweather should retire since he doesn't want to box. Yes, I did see the punch stats.. but i also saw a "Elite Fighter" unwilling to brawl.

Albert
Old 05-04-2015, 10:16 PM

I was going for Pac but Mayweather showed he was the bigger fighter. Not disappointed in Mayweathers performance because he did what he does best. Not sure how much the torn rotator cuff handicapped Pac but I'm sure it played a role on the volume of punches thrown. Legitimate win for Floyd, wish there was someone else out there for him fight. Personally not interested in Amir Khan but would like to see him fight Keith Thurman. Pacman out possible 12 months so not sure about his future.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Pacquiao should retire. He has nothing left to try to prove. He's the 2nd best boxer and most exciting fighter of his generation and a sure 1st ballot HOFer. His legacy can only get tarnished from here. I don't want to see him go on a Greedy Bastard Tour fighting tomato cans and I certainly don't want to see another Mayweather bout. All he can get now is disappoint his fans or get hurt. Better to hang them up and go out with his brain uninjured and his dignity intact.

Mayweather, I have no further interest in watching another of his fights. I had not watched one live in years and bought this one only because I hoped Pacquiao would expose him. He's a Bernard Hopkins type in the ring: profound defensive skills and ability, dirty tactics, just terrible to watch. Hopkins at least has a decent public persona, ironic since he was the stone gangsta who did hard time for armed robbery while Mayweather is a dick in public but is just a gym rat. Out of the ring he is a caricature of an ignorant, spoiled, entitled jock. The next time I will pay attention to him is when he gets elected to the HOF, which also should be a first-ballot election, makes the news going broke, or is busted again for punching out another woman.

As for the fight itself, now that it is emerging that Pacman tore his rotator cuff in training, I am not happy. I think Roach and he more or less said "screw it". I don't think the outcome would have been different if he'd been 100% but it would have been a heck of a lot more entertaining.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-05-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Banned

manny cannot have his legacy tarnished if he keeps fighting, no matter what, just like roberto duran. he is already a legend and that will never change.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Perhaps not, but he can get hurt. And personally, I don't want to see him struggling with guys he'd have cut apart years before. Better to go out near the top of the game than continue the slide downwards.

Or not...
Old 05-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Peter

If fight fans are looking for some excitement this weekend, Canelo v. Kirkland should be a good one. This is guaranteed to be an action fight. Saturday, HBO.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Banned

pacman is not sliding down, he beat bradley twice. (yes, twice), and took out algeri, so he lost to mayweather, thats not a crime and most thought he probably would. i dont see the slide.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-10-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Pacquiao's punch count has been on the decline in general. He threw 751 punches in Bradley 1. 563 in Bradley 2. 669 in the Algieri fight (against a guy who couldn't hurt him at all). He threw 256 in the 5.5 rounds of Marquez 4.

He hasn't KO'd anyone in years.

He is still capable of fighting with the top guys around welterweight but is not the force he was 3-6 years ago when he was blowing through guys like Hatton and Cotto and using much bigger men as heavy bags.

Or not...
Old 05-13-2015, 05:09 PM
ThreadKiller

Default thanks...

for the replies...I posted a few weeks back 'cuz I wanted to hear from the true boxing experts whenever watching fights - and I respect your exert opinions. thanks.

FS