NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Are you a Hardcore HOF player collector?

Does your collection focus around a single Hall of Famer or a couple of Hall of Fame players? If so, who do you collect? What is your favorite card? Favorite item of memorabilia? Favorite story around obtaining an item for your collection? How about the one that got away? Current top 5 wants?

I'll start

I collect Roberto Clemente

Favorite Card is his 1967 Giant Stand up

Favorite piece of memorabilia is between an incredible photograph that makes me feel like Clemente is staring right at me when I look at it and what I believe to be his earliest known score card from 1951 - he was listed in the roster, but not yet assigned a number.

Story for obtaining an item - After going to the Robert Morris college show in Pittsburgh (starting with the second show held there) for a number of years I became friends with one of the local guys - he always found stuff for me - the pinnacle of which was a one of a kind Topps produced item.

The one that got away would be 2 - 1) A stunning 1958 Kahns card (later graded a PSA 6) that walked into the Pittsburgh show before I understood how incredibly difficult the card is and even more improbable in that kind of condition - I wouldn't pay the guy $250 against a $200 book price - He told me I didn't know what I was looking at - he was right - it's current owner has turned down an offer by a friend of about 10k The second is a 1962 Sugardale card that the dealer wouldn't budge on his $800 book price on - later graded a PSA 3 (highest for that issue) and deserves much higher in my opinion. Oh well. I guess knowing where those cards are is better than nothing.

My top 5 wants:

1) Complete Bazooka boxes (except 1962-25 piece, 1965-20 piece and 1971 unnumbered)- top of the list 1960
2) 1960 Harmony dairy 8x10 card
3) 1968 Topps Disc

I know there must be more but that's all I can think of for now!

Look forward to hearing about yours.....
Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I consider myself more of a set collector and do own a lot of HOF cards...but the only HOFer I am hardcore about would be Harmon Killebrew. I have 6 different "themed" collections with 112 base playing year Topps cards not including any Leaders, specialty cards, combo cards, ect. I'll attack those eventually...as of right now, I simply buy any and all Killebrew base cards I see, haha.

My favorite is the 1967 and the 1955 Topps cards. 55 obviously because it's his rookie in probably my favorite Topps set. The 67 is just a classic card in a classic pose...and shows Harmon in his prime.

What piece I want and will purchase here soon is his 1964 Topps Giant autographed. I've seen a few, and to me is the quintessential signed card. I am not an auto guy, but for Harmon, I want one.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Al Richter

Default Clemente

Howard -can you post your 67 Clemente Stand Up. Would love to see it. I have 22 of the 24 Stand Ups, but not that one. Do you have both of the 67 Punch Out pose variations. I only have one. I have a "set" of the 67Discs and 8 of the 68s, but no Clemente. SCD says there is a unique version of the Clemente Pin Up. Do you have it or have you seen it ?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Howard Chasser

Default In response to Al's questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Howard -can you post your 67 Clemente Stand Up. Would love to see it. I have 22 of the 24 Stand Ups, but not that one. Do you have both of the 67 Punch Out pose variations. I only have one. I have a "set" of the 67Discs and 8 of the 68s, but no Clemente. SCD says there is a unique version of the Clemente Pin Up. Do you have it or have you seen it ?
See scan of stand up - It came as part of a HUGE Clemente collection I bought over 20 years ago. It is the "tougher" - die cut version. There was an auction house that had a group of the proofs a number of years ago - saw pictures of the Clemente, but never saw it offered publicly. Which other one are you missing? Die cuts or proofs?

I do have both of the 67 punch out variations (the gray background seems to be the near impossible one)- sorry no scan available.

I have 2 proofs of the 67 disc. Is yours final or proof?

I have never seen a 68 Clemente disc in any shape or form. Not even a picture. You?

I own the 1967 "pinup sticker". See attached scan. It is the item I was referring to that my friend in Pittsburgh hooked me up with. It is really interesting. It is the same photo and style as the 1967 pinup printed on a glossier sticker stock similar to 68 action all star stickers. It also has no number. I have had it under 20x magnification and it looks great! I have not had the autograph checked out. Any thoughts or speculation? I believe Larry saw it shortly after I got and believes it to be legitimate also. I invite you to chime in if you see this Larry.

Do you have any Bazooka boxes? Those are some of my favorites also?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67 standup SGC 30.jpg (74.9 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg 67 Test sticker.jpg (36.1 KB, 308 views)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:07 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default clemente

yes when i saw the pinup i believe it is real dont know about the auto
impossible to know what some of the 68 discs look like until i see the uncut sheet....clemente could be the same in both sets
some guy sold in auction recently yaz sgc graded for both years ...i believe they were both 67s....the "68" was just missing the final color stage
Old 02-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Is there a 1968 Disc sheet somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
yes when i saw the pinup i believe it is real dont know about the auto
impossible to know what some of the 68 discs look like until i see the uncut sheet....clemente could be the same in both sets
some guy sold in auction recently yaz sgc graded for both years ...i believe they were both 67s....the "68" was just missing the final color stage
Larry - do you know of the existence of a 1968 disc sheet? I saw the Yaz's - didn't look that close at them.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM
M@rk Comer

Howard,

I don't know about "hardcore", but I do basically collect one HOF player, Brooks Robinson (also delve into some O's memorabilia now and then...).

I collect pretty much everything I like of his to include cards, posters, magazines, pins, buttons, etc., but really don't pick up much of the shiny cards; just doesn't really interest me. Now and then I may pick a post '78 card up if I'm having a dry spell.

My favorite regular issue card is his '75 Topps (ask me tomorrow it may be different). Non regular issue, right now, would be the '71 Greatest Moments (Again...different day you may get a different favorite).

One of my favorite memorabilia piece is a picture taken by one of the Orioles photographers (Mort Tadder). It was hanging in his office and when he was moving he sent me the picture (what a great guy and photographer!).

One that got away? I really don't have a one that got away, or at least I can't recall one at the moment. Basically when an item came up for sale I either didn't currently have enough $ for the item, and/or not willing to pay that kinda $ for the item. Also, there's been a few auctions in the past that I just forgot to bid! Oh well at least I know "someone" has the item.

In regard to my top 5 wants I do have to say some, in my mind, are unobtainable. Here's the list as follows:

1. '68 Topps 3D - unobtainable (30K + at last auction)
2. '61 Dice Game - unobtainable (20K + at last auction)
3. '68 Topps test disc
4. '76 English's Chicken lid
5. '71? Superstar Watch Photo

Like you, I'm sure there are a lot more, but the above come to mind.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Al Richter

Default Brooks

Mark- am unfamiliar with 4 & 5 , but agree 1-3 are difficult at best

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-05-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks

Al,

The one was, of course, a chicken lid and the other was included with a Brooks watch in I believe '71.

English Chicken Lid.jpg

(5) 1971 Superstar Watch Photo 5X9.jpg
Old 02-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

I have always been a huge HOF reader and collector. I love both what the Hall is as an institution as well as the members within.

I spent some time putting together a base card collection of certain favorite players then designing and building custom display cases for them (my other hobby).

The first player I completed was Roberto Clemente. After that it was Sandy Koufax. I am currently trying to get both cards as well as other unique items from my all time favorite player, Stan Musial. I am slowly working on Pee Wee Reese as well.

I am looking for a nicely presented Red Heart Musial on a tight collecting budget. Easier said then done but it's all about the chase anyway.

Below are some scans of a few displays I put together. You might notice that the Koufax and Clemente 55 Topps rookies are not included. They are in the third case shown of my HOF collection.

I also put on of my favorite pieces. I took an old copy of Sports Illustrated and added a few familiar cards.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Drew

Ps. Couldn't attach more than one scan per post for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.4 KB, 438 views)
Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Koufax
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.5 KB, 436 views)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Howard Chasser : [QUOTE=hcv123;1236395]

"I'll start

I collect Roberto Clemente

The one that got away would be 2 - 1) A stunning 1958 Kahns card (later graded a PSA 6) that walked into the Pittsburgh show before I understood how incredibly difficult the card is and even more improbable in that kind of condition - I wouldn't pay the guy $250 against a $200 book price - He told me I didn't know what I was looking at - he was right - it's current owner has turned down an offer by a friend of about 10k "

Howard, thank you for sharing your story of missing out on that prized Kahn's Roberto Clemente. Your honest humility and enduring pain is easy to understand. Believe me, I feel for you and can so relate to the guy's terse pronouncement, "I didn't know what I was looking at". Wow, the offer of about 10K for a PSA 6-appearing tough Roberto regional underscores what I have maintained for a long, long time. The rare and typically off-condition casualty found among the regionals will eventually come to command "boo koo bucks", once they are understood. Specifically, when a specimen's condition starkly stands out from the norm, decide speedily and get the wallet out fast. Otherwise, the refrain from an old radio show used beautifully in a Daffy Duck - Porky Pig cartoon comes to haunt, "YOU'LL BE SORRY!" The regret indeed haunts, but we tend to accumulate some regrets in life.

I sit amazed as I think of some of the sales involving the 54-55 Esskay Frankfurts Baltimore Orioles.

Better stop. Hope you're able to get a nice black 'n white Kahn's Clemente one day before too long. Cheers. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-07-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Dave H@rford

Al, nice 1956 Hocus Focus. I agree with Al, and although I can't speak about other rare Topps sets, I feel the 1955 Topps Hocus Focus is the TOUGHEST of the "regular"/"mainstream" issues for Ted Williams.

Al, to answer your question, based on sales of the Grey backs including the 1954 Williams over the past 3-4 years, I would estimate about 4x for the lower grade HOF (a Williams in a PSA/SGC 1 equiv sold for just at $220) with commons being closer to 2-3x. The higher grade HOF's actually lose ground with a PSA/SGC 5-6 (something close to Ex/Ex+ if I remember correctly)Williams that sold in the last 18 months selling at only about 3x the regular 1954 Topps card.

When looking, I kinda plan on paying about 3-4 times the price for the 1954 Topps #1 card in comparable condition (like a PSA/SGC 2-5 equiv). It's not really the PRICE with this card as much as FINDING it (unlike the Hocus Focus, which is both the PRICE and the RARITY).

Dave
Old 02-07-2014, 01:51 PM

David---what is the News variation ?

Al - There may (or probably is) a blank back version, as well as I think they came out more than 1 time in the year, or were repeated the next year so some stats are different.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:15 AM

Default 1970 Dayton Daily News #88 Lou Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
David---what is the News variation ?

Al - There may (or probably is) a blank back version, as well as I think they came out more than 1 time in the year, or were repeated the next year so some stats are different.
According to Mike Mosier of Columbia City Collectibles only the first sixty of the set are available with a blank back, but, according to sschauer in his 1970-1971 Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless Cards checklist the Lou Brock was updated in 1971 with new stats but was mistakenly numbered #80 instead of the correct #88.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 02-08-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Name correction
Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
According to Mike Mosier of Columbia City Collectibles only the first sixty of the set are available with a blank back, but, according to sschauer in his 1970-1971 Dayton Daily News Bubble-Gumless Cards checklist the Lou Brock was updated in 1971 with new stats but was mistakenly numbered #80 instead of the correct #88.
Thanks.

The reality is the star cards are very hard to find. There are a few players on Ebay, but the HOF'ers and stars are hard to find (and/or expensive for a cutout from a newspaper).

And Mike Mosier has almost all (if not all) of the one's on Ebay, including the variations.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Howard Chasser

Howard, thank you for sharing your story of missing out on that prized Kahn's Roberto Clemente. Your honest humility and enduring pain is easy to understand. Believe me, I feel for you and can so relate to the guy's terse pronouncement, "I didn't know what I was looking at". Wow, the offer of about 10K for a PSA 6-appearing tough Roberto regional underscores what I have maintained for a long, long time. The rare and typically off-condition casualty found among the regionals will eventually come to command "boo koo bucks", once they are understood. Specifically, when a specimen's condition starkly stands out from the norm, decide speedily and get the wallet out fast. Otherwise, the refrain from an old radio show used beautifully in a Daffy Duck - Porky Pig cartoon comes to haunt, "YOU'LL BE SORRY!" The regret indeed haunts, but we tend to accumulate some regrets in life.

I sit amazed as I think of some of the sales involving the 54-55 Esskay Frankfurts Baltimore Orioles.

Better stop. Hope you're able to get a nice black 'n white Kahn's Clemente one day before too long. Cheers. ---Brian Powell[/QUOTE]

Thanks Brian,

I actually have been fortunate enough to own 2 other 1958 kahn's Clemente's (1 of which still sits proudly in my collection). Neither coming close to the amazing condition of the one that was missed! I have found it to be a very interesting thing in the collectibles market - the effects of supply and demand economics. Even though there are some RIDICULOUSLY short supply cards and memorabilia out there - in many cases so few, collectors either don't know about them or consider them so short in supply that they are unattainable - keeping the price relative to the short supply relatively inexpensive. I have been very slow to part with certain rarer/near impossible to replace items I have unless getting very strong prices for them. The handful of people who know what they are looking at are usually tickled to be able to buy these items - as in my opinion they should be given their scarcity............now, has anyone seen a complete 1960 Bazooka box with Clemente around?????????????
Old 02-10-2014, 05:20 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Tom Seaver Superstar watch

Paul... is it possible to get the measurements of the Seaver watch item (both the package and the card/photo inside)?

I've been looking for just the card of Brooks for years now and have never seen a complete package of the watch included as it came originally. That would be awesome to have the whole piece together.

Thanks for sharing; love it!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM

Mark, the box measures 6 1/2" x 9", and the card measures 5" x 9" including the tab. The card is on thin paper, not card stock.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Tom Seaver Superstar watch

Paul, Thanks so much for the information on the box and photo/card. I didn't know it was thin paper and not card stock since I've only seen a picture of one and have not see it in "real life"... Of course never seen a complete package; thanks so much for sharing. Now this gives me something else to search for.