NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Everything Else, Football, Non-Sports etc.. B/S/T

Old 07-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default Can anyone help me out with a stamp collection?

Posted By: Paul Stratton

I need some help with a stamp collection. I figured someone here may be a "expert". American, Canadian, etc. I have no clue what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated. If this is not ok to post here then please delete Leon.

Thanks, Paul Stratton

Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I recently collected American stamps and know them pretty well. I will tell you that very little post 1930 has any value at all, and even most stamps between 1900-1930 have minimal value, although some do. Quality 19th century stamps have some potential. If your collection is mostly modern stuff, say post 1940, you can just use them for postage. Even mint they are only worth face value. You can email me at bsloate@att.net if you have questions. Regards, Barry

Old 07-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I believe that the Post Office is currently issuing stamps of Greenberg, Ott, Campanella and Mantle. Have they produced baseball theme stamps in the past? If so, what is the earliest?

Buying a collectable at about face value gives you no real downside.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

The first U.S. stamp to commemorate baseball was in 1939, for both the opening of the Baseball Hall of Fame and for the 100th anniversary of the so-called invention of baseball. The stamp itself has little value, but several collectors who attended the hall's inauguration brought first day covers with them and tried to get all the initial inductees to sign it. Those do show up in auction and they command five figures.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

buy mint stamps / plate blocks on ebay at BELOW face value. Only marginally below but about 90-95% or so. Occasionally a little more.

There have been quite a few baseball stamps issued.......

1939 centennial
1969 baseball
Ruth, Robinson, Gehrig
10 different stadiums in one issue
20 different players including sisler, cobb and others
current ones

maybe more....don't know.

I have a TON of plateblocks and first day covers along with a minor collection of 1910's to present stamps. Collected these once as my grandmother was a postmaster in Maud, KY 40042......population of 40 or so when she was postmaster.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Tom- You are correct. If you bought a sheet of 3 cent stamps in 1941 for $3.00 it would still be worth at most $3.00 today. If you bought instead $3.00 worth of 1941 playball packs and didn't open them you would have enough for a down payment on a house. Pretty funny when you think about it.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TONY

The 1939 baseball centennial stamp is Scott #855.....
I own a mint sheet....100 3 ct stamps.....They are worth $55 & up at retail value......not Scott guide value which is a farce on most stamps.......way tooooo high
Also most 3 ct sheets are worth 3 times face & up.....you can't buy these sheets for face anymore even though they are available........remember the 20 sheet of stamps with the baseball Hof'ers.......face value I believe was $6.80.....they sell for a small premium over face......& readily available........one genius spent over $90K buying these....trying to make a killing.......he sold most at 80% of face.......I bought 200 sheets for 10% below face......but used them all on my mail......anyone want to buy postage for 20% below face? email me for details or call me @ 727 527 7113.......12-6 pm EST only....any day except Tues/Fri