NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Default Looking for fellow 1962 Jell-O collectors

I am new to the forum and have tried to go back thru some old threads on this elusive series. Appears there are some old timers with some pretty good knowledge about this issue. I have pulled the trigger and am off and running but still have lots of questions and want to gain a better understanding as well as find others that may have some ideas were to find some of the scarcities. I have read as many articles as I could find and I know Bob had a vast amount of knowledge about them. I know that, in general, they are hard to come across, but I also know there are several, even outside of Richardson and Skowron that are next to impossible, but not sure which ones they are!?!? Any help or anyone that wants to join in discussing them are gladly welcome!!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Welcome to our boards. Are you collecting cards with full borders, or just whatever you can get? I used to post over at collectors universe as mjohnatgt.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Thank you! I'm always looking for full borders but those are few and far between. I know there are some that I'm going to be lucky to find in any condition much less with any border. At this point I'm looking for pretty much anything that looks decent. I'm sure I'll upgrade from time to time but as long as there is no writing on the front or back and no horrendous creases or really nasty jagged cuts, I'm ok with them.
I don't recognize your user name.....I went zero dark for about 6-7 years only going on from time to time.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 PM
Ken Marks

Default 1962 Jell-Os

Good to hear of another 62 Jell-O collector. My favorite set! Fairly serious Post Cereal Jell-O collector and most of my hobby efforts are in this area. For a number of years been working on trying to figure out the intricacies of the 62 Jell-Os as there is very little historical documentation that exists from back then. And been somewhat successful, at least in some areas of this set. If you would like to talk about the set, get a hold of me at bwnrot@aol.com or 916 508-7872. Always good to chat with a fellow collector. Have a good night. Ken
Old 06-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Ken, I will for sure get in touch with you when things are settled down around my house soon. You and Brian are the main reasons I joined Net54. It was the posts about the Jell-O from you both that I had been reading. The amount of knowledge I have about the set pales in comparison to you both. Heck, a lot of what I know has come from you guys. It wasn't that I didn't know about the cards for years, as I've been collecting since 1978, but it wasn't until about 10 months ago when I ran across a very small stash of them that I became intrigued by them and then about 4 months ago that I became obsessed by them, lol. The scarcity, the mysteries surrounding them then the feeling you get when you run across a copy with a full, strong boarder and rich color. It had me hook, line and sinker. My obvious goal is to complete a set but I have to keep in mind that I may never reach that goal. I'm hoping to run into other collectors that can help me in that goal and share information with me as well. Thanks for posting and I will stay in touch!!
Tim
Old 06-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Wishing you the very, very best, Tim, in your pursuit of a genuine post-war beast of a set.

Take your time, and while it's good to be choosy, please know that it will be very troublesome to find full border all around the card. That was a major point I focused on in my chapter on those gorgeous 1962 JELL-Os. I've really grown fond of them over the years, without actually collecting them. It was a major confirmation to me in 2015-16 when the late Bob Lemke dug out an article from a spring 1962 issue of THE SPORTING NEWS on what was going on with General Foods' baseball card promotions. He posted the article in his blog. One little sentence was the large gold nugget to me----that recently General Foods had begun test-marketing their 1962 baseball card set on the backs of their JELL-O boxes in the Chicagoland area.

Previously, the Beckett 3 BB card guide (1981) said most collectors considered the '62 issue a test issue. When I interviewed the late Larry Fritsch for my book on September 18, 2003, he confirmed to me the 1962 JELL-Os were a test issue. Then, finally, dear Bob Lemke also nailed it with his find from that SPORTING NEWS article! The 1963 release was indeed nationwide; not so 1962!

Lest I forget, welcome to the Net54baseball family!

Have a swell weekend, my fellow collecting warrior! ---Brian Powell