NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-06-2015, 01:36 AM

Default help with multiple signed ball

I have a ball autographed by 13 HOF players including among others Mickey Mantle and Yaz. I'm 95% sure on this because I know the story where it came from. A woman inherited the collection of her brother and he had quite a collection. I can't imagine anyone keeping all the stuff he had without him knowing it was authentic. I know how he came across the autographs too. I live close to Cincinnati and the guy was a big Reds fan. He went to off season events where players, who didn't make the big bucks at the time, were looking to make extra cash in the off season and they went around to various big league towns and did autographs. I've been over all of these autographs and though some aren't perfect they show almost every sign of being real. It would take a master forger to complete the collection this ball came from. And the guy didn't even try to get his stuff authenticated and he didn't try to sell it. That meant he knew it was legit and he had no reason to fake anything because he was keeping it anyway. He would have had to meet literally hundreds of truly gifted forgers to conjure up a collection like this.

So anyway I'm working my way through the process. I have a number of photos of the HOF ball (as I call it) that are on my web site. If you go to my site you can see the balls in great detail. The site allows you to zoom in close on the ball and get a really good view of the autographs. I tried to post a sample here but the photos are too big. I can resize one and post it here if anyone wants.

I'd really like opinions on the validity of these autographs. I don't really want to spend the money to authenticate this ball if it looks fake. I'm not a wealthy person. I don't want to end up with more money in the ball than it's worth. I'm not even sure I want to sell it. Again I'm just working through the process.

So anyway here are my photos. I appreciate any help I can get.

http://www.a-framevideo.com/bball6.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/bball1.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/bball2.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/bball3.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/bball7.JPG

http://www.a-framevideo.com/bball10.JPG

For what it's worth here's a listing of who's autograph appears in these photos. It took me a long while to figure some of them out. I sure didn't know Willie Stargell signed his name "Wilver Stargell".

1 Whitey Ford & Carl Yastrzemski
2 Juan Marichal, Eddie Mathews, Gaylord Perry, & Brooks Robinson
3 league stuff
6 Mickey Mantle & Warren Spahn
7 Brooks Robinson & Ernie Banks
10 Harmon Killebrew, Willie Stargell, Luke Appling & Tony Perez

And yes Brooks Robinson signed it twice. That's another thing that makes me think it's real. What forger would put 2 of the same autographs on a ball? He might be super crazy clever like you see on tv I guess.

BTW of course my next questions will be about the value of the ball as long as it's all legit.

Last edited by CJ_56; 05-06-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:14 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

The ball looks good to me.

Although I would be very careful in trying to ascribe what a forger would or would not do and when. The longer you are around the autograph field the less and less surprised you get by the outlandish forgeries out there. Stories are just stories. The piece must speak for itself.

In this case I believe that it does.

Oh...and this being a Bobby Brown ball means that it was signed 1984 or after. Tony Perez was elected to the Hall in 2000. Mantle died in 1996, so the Autographs were collected over a period of time. That also explains the different pen colors.

My guess for value would be around $200 or so. It's a nice strong Mantle on the sweet spot. The non uniformity of pen color and shading hurts it a bit.

Hope this helps and welcome to the board!

Tom C
Old 05-06-2015, 10:58 AM

I know forgers can go a long way but with the load of stuff I saw that wasn't being marketed and with the proximity to the Reds here and the large number of Reds autographs they had the story I got was just too much for a forgery. I know that counts for squat to anyone else but it's the reason I was convinced in the first place. I saw the collection. We considered buying more of it but to be honest none of it compared to the two balls we did get. So again they would have had to spend time forging autographs no one wants too. And we know the person and her family. It was a bunch of evidence that I know doesn't mean anything to anyone but me. I just came here to remove that last small amount of doubt I had. The reason I had that small doubt was because I know forgers can go to great lengths. But to forge a bunch of autographs on one ball when single signed balls sell for much more was another brick in the wall too. It's clearly legit.

I was hoping for more value than the $200 though. That will make me think real hard about sending the ball off to PSA and spending about $135 to get it checked. Considering my wife paid $75 for the ball it doesn't seem like a smart business move.

BTW I don't think they deliberately collected HOF players. It just worked out that way. My guess is they got Perez to sign the ball quite a while back. For one thing I have a Reds ball with signatures of players who played there in the 60's including at least one that has been dead for 19 years (Vada Pinson). There are several players who wouldn't have been invited to any autograph shows too. They weren't particularly good players like for example Woody Woodward and Pat Corrales. Then there was Jay Ritchie who played one year in Cincy, 1968, and was hardly a stellar performer. Some of these autographs have to go back a long way. That Reds ball is a Spalding with Warren Giles as the National League president.

Last edited by CJ_56; 05-06-2015 at 11:11 AM.