NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-22-2015, 07:33 AM
Mark

Default My First Ever Master Set Is Now Complete - 1997 Metal Universe

I have never attempted to complete a full master set of any newer set. Just too much stuff to track down with inserts and all. But I finally did it for one

1997 Fleer Metal Universe baseball

It's a bizarre set, but it was one my son really got into so we collected it together. After finishing the base set I found we had a good start on a lot of the inserts, so I got busy.

That was 18 years ago!

Just yesterday I got the last insert card - Mother Lode Jeff Bagwell

So now I have all of:

Base Set
Blast Furnace
Magnetic Field
Mining for Gold
Mother Lode
Platinum Portraits
Titanium
Emerald Autographs
Promotional Card

Some of them were not cheap. The Mother Lode cards were the toughest to track down. Even more so than the autographs.

I'm sure I put in a lot more money than I could ever hope to get out of it, but it was a fun project to do with and for my son. He remembers the set fondly, so it will stay with him when I'm gone anyway.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Al Richter

Default 1997

Mark-- no diamonds in that set ? Congratulations on completion of the long quest. Now, what do you do with it

Did your son stick with you all the way or did it become just a Dad project ?

Up through 1994 I tried to collect anything and everything for Topps listed in the SCD Standard Catalog. In 1995 the number of Topps products doubled and I surrendered. By 2005 and onward the number of products, inserts and chase cards listed for Topps and Fleer in the Catalog is mind boggling. It must have been a dilemma to decide what if anything to collect.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Mark

It was a joint project until we got to the higher dollar inserts. Then I took over.

My whole collection is going to my son with the explicit direction to sell it all and spend the money on something fun and unforgettable.

I collect for my enjoyment only and when I die that enjoyment goes with me. I want what I leave behind to have the same impact for him. Buy a car, ho to Europe, throw a party. I don't care, just do something memorable with the money.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:26 PM
J Ryan
Banned

I always loved the metal sets from 1996 and 1997 just because of the goofy designs. I think my favorite was either Brian Jordans bat exploding or Cal Ripken getting attacked by a robot monster hand...or something like that lol

congrats.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Alfredo

congrats on the long quest!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Al Jurgela

congrats... that is WAY harder than most people think!!!

Al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards