NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default T205 Rowan Color Variation?

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

I recently bought a T205 Rowan card that has a orange color tint to the card. From what I can tell the card looks like it has missed one of the printing passes, I'm not a very big collector of variations and really don't have that much information to go buy. I haven't seen that many printing mistakes (except for Scott's) when it comes to T205's. My question's are: How did this happen? Is there anyone else who has one I could see? Also, is there any added value with T205 printing variations like the T206's? Thanks for looking, and for those of you who have been sending me e-mail's I'm back home from the hospital with my wife and she's doing much better. Thanks for your kind words.
Happy Collecting!
Trevor Hocking
trevor@dlhstudios.com

Old 02-19-2002, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

I think I speak for all us, in that we're very happy that your wife is doing much better.

Old 02-19-2002, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Thank you very much Elliot. Most of the tumors that where in her lungs, have all but gone away. The gallbladder surgery went very well. If it wasn’t for the power of prayer and her strong will to live, she wouldn't be with us today. I'm a firm believer that positive think can get us through the toughest of times. For those of you who don't know about my wife, she is a 23-year new mother of an amazing 2-year-old boy and was diagnosed with Adrenal Cordial Carcinoma (I hope I spelled that right) at her post pardum. At first diagnosis she was given two weeks to live, now I'm proud to say she's a two-year survivor. About 1 out of 2 million people get this cancer. Thanks for the prayer chains and keep them coming!!! They are working! Thank you again Elliot. This chat group has been a place of release those many nights at the hospital.
Trevor

Old 02-20-2002, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

That is certainly a bizzare looking card. Not sure if the printer was hungover that morning or not. One thing that makes the card special is that the Rowan is a very tough card. Can we expect to see this card on ebay some time or will it stay in the vault, Trevor?

Old 02-20-2002, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Sounds like an amazing recovery, I am very happy to hear that all is well.

If you have any interest in selling that Rowan card, I would very happily purchase it! Just e-mail me at schoenen@yahoo.com

Old 02-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Trevor. I don't closely follow the T205s, but I am assuming from your description that the one on the right (yellow background) is the normal one.

Color variations are cause by variations in the amount of ink applied during printing. For example, yellow ink followed by red ink will produce orange. During mass production it is common for some slight variances in the amount of ink added to the printing plate. For example, due to the change in yellow or red inks, a card will appear a darker orange at one point and lighter at another. Even you you look at Topps cards from the 1970s and 80s, you will see that slight variations are normal ... The typical bizarre variations are when one color is either barely added or not at all added-- thus a red or yellow card.

If your card is ordinarilly yellow, then it would seem that the printers for some strange reason added an extra and unintended color. But, as I noted, someone else can better comment on the rarity of your particular color variation.

Old 02-21-2002, 12:37 PM
Administrator

My wife and I would like to thank everyone again for the kind word and prayer's She has read all of the e-mail's. She told me to say "my you be blessed with with a wife/husband or girlfriend/boyfriend that understands you addiction, I know I'm still waiting for my prayer's to be answered.
Thanks for all the help with the Rowan. There is a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board. I will more than likely be selling the cards, just because I'm mainly a set builder not a variation collector. I have had quite a few offers to buy this card but I really don't know how to place a price on it. I will be selling both of the cards together. Any help with pricing would be greatly appreciated. More than likely they will go on eBay, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. If any one has sold or bought a T205 color variation card of any kind I would love to hear about it.
Happy Collecting
Trevor Hocking
trevor@dlhstudios.com

Old 02-21-2002, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Please send a better scan of the orange card - a very detailed section of the orange background would be great. I have a card where brown was used instead of blue - if you look at it under a 10x magnifier, you can see that the dots are actually a different color. I would expect in your case to see ADDITIONAL dots in the orange card, plus the normal ones. Take a close look and let us know.

Old 02-21-2002, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw707

To me it looks as if the whole card is normal except it has had a pink ink layer printed on it. If looking at the white shirt, it is now pink, and Yellow and Pink = Orange (background), the face has a pinkish tone all over as well. The back even seems to have a pink tint to it too. Very unusual and interesting printing flaw. Good luck, I will surely bid. Frank

Old 02-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...that's why I mentioned checking for different colored dots under the 10x.

Old 02-21-2002, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Scott you bought you a great point. I have just scanned the card at 1500 DPI. If you notice in the scan the pink coloring does not overlay onto the gold border, and the edges of the card is not pink. From the what I can tell, the card you won of eBay shows that the gold leafing was added at the end of the printing process. In the case of the Rowan card the gold borders are not effected by pink coloring. That is what makes me to believe that this coloration was done during the printing process. Scott I would love to see your T205 color variation. If anyone would like high-res scans of this card please e-mail.

trevor@dlhstudios.com

Old 02-21-2002, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Trevor,

Could you post - or email me- a scan of the same area of the other card, scanned at the same resolution.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2002, 11:52 PM
Administrator

I had to scan this card at home so it was done on a different scanner than the pink version, so it might have a diffent tone to it.

Pink variation scanned on a HP2500
Normal card scanned on a ES1200C

I hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2002, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the scans. Interesting and I think I have an answer.

If you look at the yellow background of the normal card you see very small "areas" of white in between the yellow. In the odd card those white areas appear pink as does the entire image. This says to me the pink is flat across the entire area and I think the pink covered the entire area the paper stock.

I think your card is printed on a "counter" or a spacer. When a printer gets a huge print job and receives a large supply of stock, say 50,000+ sheets, they don't count each sheet. The stock will have counters every 1000, 2500, or 5000 sheets to show the quantity. (These are hypothetical numbers). These are pulled from the supply as the the sheets are used on press. When the pressmen needs to account for the days work he doesn't count each sheet he has completed, he just counts the pulled "counters" and estimates how many were printed.

When I was working in the shop I saw two different kind of counters: a sheet that was larger then the rest and was folded down the side and maked 1,000, 2,000, etc. and a sheet of stock that was the same size as the rest but was colored and could be seen when looking at the "sides" of the pile of paper stock. I recall seeing pink , light green, grey and lt. blue. This isn't to say these are standards, it could be any color.

I think you card is printed on one of these sheets that should have been pulled.

Old 02-22-2002, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Pete, wouldn't those "counter" sheets be colored on both sides?

Old 02-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I think you may have a card printed from a partially stained sheet of stock or a spacer sheet. The gold leaf overlay would obscure any pink under it. How do the edges look: do they have a pinkish tone also?

Old 02-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Administrator

No. They would probably be the exact same stock as the card just have the pink coloring on the top side.

Printing on the back would be a waste since these aren't menat to have anyhting to do with final distribution and be trashed.

Old 02-22-2002, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Interesting, I once bought a very large amount of Gem Mint 1967 Dexter Press Premiums in old packaging boxes, and sporadically spaced in the perfect stacks were once-side-only printed Premiums on dark brown (both sides) cardboard of similar consistency as the regular cards. I always wondered what they were, thought perhaps they were used for identification. Still have some of them.

Old 02-22-2002, 02:51 PM
Administrator

I have never heard of counter sheets before. Would this have been common practice with this type of printing? Has anyone ever seen one of these before?
<How do the edges look: do they have a pinkish tone also?> The edges look off-white, even more so than the back. As for the back, the pink tinting is so minute compared to the front shirt. I would speculate that this could be from bleed through of the top pink printing. I'm really stumped here.
Thanks ounce again for all of the great comments. The knowledge on this board amazes me everyday. If there is any other scans I can show to help please let me know.
Trevor
trevor@dlhstudios.com

Old 02-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Administrator