NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Default why were minor leaguers included in T206?

Posted By: pete

just going through my short "have" list and wondering why were minor leaguers included in the t206 set? were they just as popular? did major league teams ever play them?

and...was the southern league consider minor league ball?

pete-

***if this topic was brought up before can someone direct me to the post***

I may of found my answer but I'd like your thoughts as well...

my best pitch was the one that made it to the plate!

Old 10-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Just a guess, but tobacco companies wanted to distribute their products to as many cities as possible, so why not include players from Buffalo, Kansas City, etc. so smokers in those cities would be motivated to buy the packs. It's all about marketing.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

That would be my guess too since there was only 16 major league teams at the time and some of the cities(ny,philly,boston,chicago and st. louis) had 2 teams so that means they only had 11 different markets covered(and thats if you count brooklyn as different from ny).By expanding to include the minors they went further north,south and west with their product.

Plus if they only included current major leaguers the set wouldve been smaller and had some real unknown players.They didnt have 25 man rosters back then or platoon much so 15 guys per team is about the best you could do but even if you look at stats youll see some major leaguers that they couldve done without.I cant see too many Browns fans excited about getting a card of that Demmitt kid who hit .174 in 10 games before disappearing to the minors for 4 years

Old 10-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

If the Browns fans really don't want that Demmitt fellow, I'll take him.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Yes the major leaguers played the minors a lot in those days. Owners would schedule a game practically every day so that when the majors where traveling to another major park they would stop on the way to play minor league teams. And the city support for minor leagues was just as strong as for majors only on a smaller scale. Also during the off season star players did barn storming tours going to the smaller markets withb a team of all stars playing the local teams. And of course during the pre season the teams would make road trips palky minor leaguers tuning up for the bigs. Back in those days there was a much closer connection between minors and majors then there is today. Read some of the biography's of players from those days, Honus, Cobb, Ruth I wish there was a book about Matty but I am sure it would be practically impossible to compile.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

http://www.baseballindex.org (a great source for baseball bibiliographic research) lists 13 books about Matty, of which Robinson's Matty and Seib's The Player can be considered better biographies. I haven't yet seen the Hartley book.

Max

Index to Christy Mathewson's "Pitching in a Pinch." Shieber, Tom;
Christy Mathewson's Career Shutouts Tiemann, Robert L;
The Battle of Base-Ball - Including "How I Became a Big League Pitcher" By Christy Mathewson Claudy, C.H.; 1912
Christy Mathewson Testimonial Lieb, Frederick, Ed.; 1921
Christy Mathewson: Baseball's Greatest Pitcher Schoor, Gene; with Henry Gilfond; 1953
Baseball's Immortals: the Story of Christy Mathewson 1961
Christy Mathewson Macht, Norman; 1991
Christy Mathewson: A Game-by-Game Profile of a Legendary Pitcher Mayer, Ronald A.; 1993
Matty: An American Hero - Christy Mathewson of the New York Giants Robinson, Ray; 1993
The Player: Christy Mathewson, Baseball, and the American Century Seib, Philip; 2003
Christy Mathewson: A Biography Hartley, Michael; 2004
The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball Deford, Frank; 2005
The Battle of Base-Ball - Including "How I Became a Big League Pitcher" By Christy Mathewson Claudy, C.H.; 2005