NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 AM
David Linardy

Default Ty Cobb 1905 Reach Montage

Gents,

I recently picked this up and thought it was pretty cool. Its actually a 1905 Detroit Tigers Montage that was cut out of a 1906 Reach Guide. The montage has an extremely young cobb portrait (I believe he was sent back down in 1906). The photo measures 3.75" wide by 5.35" high and displays pretty well

I picked it up for a couple of bucks, so what the heck! but I wanted to see if these things hold any value???

THanks,
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobbmontage1.jpg (30.7 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb_Montage2.jpg (27.8 KB, 222 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my educated guess

My guess is it is worth approximately what you paid for it. (maybe just a bit more as it is an exact replica of the card and premium it is associated with, which are both worth considerable money)

Last edited by Leon; 04-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Phil Garry

David:

I have handled a bunch of those types of items over the past couple of years. Not super valuable but Cobb's earliest piece, it could bring $50, maybe a little more or a little less if you find the right collector. I have seen the 1914 Ruths sell for around $100 on occasion.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:01 PM
David Linardy

Default Cobb Montage

Thanks for the feedback guys... I thought it was cool, and worth every bit of the $8 I paid for it... It looks a lot better framed & Matted & will make a good conversation piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb_framed_Matted.jpg (65.6 KB, 164 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 04:59 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

I did the same thing, David. Here's 1904 (w/ Chesbro, Griffith & Keeler) as well as 1905 (Chesbro, Griffith, Keeler and a rookie Chase) Yankee squads (sorry for the crappy pix). For $5 for the pair, they look great framed/matted and hanging on my wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewYorkBaseballClub.1904.jpg (75.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg NewYorkBaseballClub.1905.jpg (77.1 KB, 152 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:39 PM
David Linardy

Default Reach Cut outs

Very Cool indeed, and for the price you can't go wrong!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
I did the same thing, David. Here's 1904 (w/ Chesbro, Griffith & Keeler) as well as 1905 (Chesbro, Griffith, Keeler and a rookie Chase) Yankee squads (sorry for the crappy pix). For $5 for the pair, they look great framed/matted and hanging on my wall.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

If you really like this sort of thing, buy the book that they come out of - in many cases it will cost far less than the page cut from it. You will enjoy the book in its intended form, and you can make a nice scan of the page you are interested in, have it printed on high-quality paper, enlarged as you need, and then you can mat and frame it. The pictures are generally not of that high of quality, and are very small. Collectability is next to nothing for the cut out pages, but the books have value - more and more as people with no respect for publications or history continue to tear out the pictures and sell them, taking whole copies that are irreplaceable out of the market forever.

If you buy the book instead, I would have no problem with scanning the image for you and creating a nice copy on high-quality paper, for the cost of shipping each way. I've created quite a few displays with such items and can walk you through how to do it.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm with Scott 100% on this one. I hate to see these guides torn apart for the pictures. There are only so many left and it's a pity to see people yanking out the plates to make a few extra dollars. Buying and selling individual plates should be discouraged.

Last edited by barrysloate; 04-10-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm with Scott 100% on this one. I hate to see these guides torn apart for the pictures. There are only so many left and it's a pity to see people yanking out the plates to make a few extra dollars. Buying and selling individual plates should be discouraged.
Hey Barry & Scott...I don't disagree with you at all. However, the seller I purchased these from claims they are from damaged Spalding/Reach guides...frankly, I would love to own a vintage guide in it's complete form, but from the perspective of displaying some of the early team plates, I look at this more like recycling...turning something damaged in to something that will be around for a LONG time now...just don't want you thinking I'm running around with a pair of scissors hacking apart old guides willy-nilly. I can't speak for Dave, though...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Hey Barry & Scott...I don't disagree with you at all. However, the seller I purchased these from claims they are from damaged Spalding/Reach guides...frankly, I would love to own a vintage guide in it's complete form, but from the perspective of displaying some of the early team plates, I look at this more like recycling...turning something damaged in to something that will be around for a LONG time now...just don't want you thinking I'm running around with a pair of scissors hacking apart old guides willy-nilly. I can't speak for Dave, though...
Yes, the sellers figured out that if they put "came from damaged guide" in their descriptions, people are more likely to buy them; however, that is not what the sellers are actually doing all of the time. I have seen sellers who use the "came from damaged guide" disclaimer, win perfectly good reading copies and then the bits and pieces show up as 'montages'.

If you watch the bidding on the lower-grade copies on ebay, you'll be able to easily figure out what these sellers are willing to pay. I have a few searches for the guides, and I bid them up accordingly, winning one every now and then. It's worth it to me, and you can see by Phil's recent guide sales in the B/S/T section that they are easy enough to re-sell right here on the board to people who will appreciate them.

So the short message is that you are probably unwittingly encouraging the destruction of these guides each time you buy a cut out page.

As I said, I'll make you nice copies. No, you won't be hanging an original page cut out of a book on your wall, but who wants to do that anyway?

As a side note, I would also recommend that anyone who is interested begin building up their library runs of these now while you still can. For the most part, the Spalding Guide, Spalding Record, and Reach Guide, are similar enough in content that you could build a mixed run and have all the early 1900's info on baseball that you could ever want.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM
qu@n nguy3n

if there are peeps out there willing to pay for the individual pages, sellers will continue hacking these books up. send them into beckett to be slabbed and suddenly the value 10x because now they're legitimized in a way...like the recent slabbed joe jackson that cost multiples what you can buy the whole guide for.