NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Any SABR members here?

Posted By: Greg Buckley

Hello all:
I have an autographed bat from an elderly patient of my father-in-law. The gentleman (whose name is Harry Kowenhoven) signed the bat with the inscription "1934 Brooklyn Dodgers", but my research shows that he never played in the majors. He did, however, have a contract with Louisville Slugger and had bats made to his specifications. The copy of his Louisville Slugger contract that I have indicates that he played for the old House of David baseball teams. I have found a reference to him in what I think is a SABR publication index. The search result is "Harry Kowenhoven LOG0003E". Does that number or reference mean anything to anyone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Plenty of SABR around here. Not sure what the code is. You want to go to the SABR web site http://sabr.org and cotnact someone there that might now what it means. Where did you get that coding from? I have most SABR books given to members from 1988 to date, so if it refernces something in one of thsoe books, I should be to find it.

Jay

Old 05-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

of the Louisville Pee Wee Reese chapter..........maybe he played under another name? Or maybe he just did 1934 spring training but nothing else? baseball-reference.com doesn't list him at all so I have to believe he doesn't have any ML stats. If you could find out who was at 1934 spring training or maybe he played in the Dodgers farm system somehow. Minor League records are harder to obtain. Is the bat a H&B that has been engraved with his name on the barrel?

Old 05-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Administrator

I found it doing a Google search.

The search result:
http://www.pacificnet.net/~sroney/SABR-L/index2000.html

would seem to indicate that it was a SABR publication index.

I will check with the folks at SABR. I would like to find out more about this gentleman.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Administrator

I found it doing a Google search.

The search result:
http://www.pacificnet.net/~sroney/SABR-L/index2000.html

would seem to indicate that it was a SABR publication index.

I will check with the folks at SABR. I would like to find out more about this gentleman.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Tom:
His name and signature are engraved into the bat. He apparently went back to the factory a few years ago and they were able to make some new bats to the specifications that they ahd on file back in the 1930's.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

It's possible that he played in the Dodgers system and played for them in spring training. It's also possible that he actually was on the Dodgers regular season squad for a game or two and didn't play. Retired minor league players were very proud of having played for a Major League team, even if the stint was brief. In my Major League autograph collection, I have players who's major league careers were literally one at bat or one pitching out. And they were damn proud!

Old 05-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

I forgot to add that in the olden days, a player might sign his initial contract with the Major League team then, of normal course, be assigned to the minors in the hope that he would eventually work his way up. You can find old Major League team contracts where the player never played in the bigs.