NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-04-2020, 05:22 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
I completely agree: that Tigers pennant is awesome. Interesting thing about it: I do believe that version was by Trench...

...but beware: WGN liked the design so much they made a copy of it featuring the same stadium façade artwork; albeit, much smaller; and using Day Glo colors; and featuring the ballpark's more contemporary name/signage, "TIGER STADIUM."

WGN's was made in '68 to commemorate the "Sock it to'em" Tigers, so the Trench version likely came out much earlier.

They even ripped-off Trench's signature letter font!
Oh I have no doubt that it’s a Trench. Only that it doesn’t quite fit the mold of their other stadium pennants (graphic of inside stadium with smaller logo floating above). Whatever the case, the Trench artist should have been honored at the annual pennant awards ceremony for that design. IMO the best looking team pennant from the 1950s along with the Yankees with large batter in front of large Uncle Sam hat.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Rob

Quote:
Okay, so I'm not the only person that thought that that right field "flood" part of the Candlestick graphic looked odd! I'm sure they intended to depict a walkway of sorts; but, why does it appear in some; and not in others?

Rob, Marc ... I'm looking at you two on this one....
I have no idea why the "spillway" appeared on some pennants and not others. I also have no idea why the artist emphasized it on Marc's pennant. Here's an pre-opening pic of Candlestick. My guess is the open area was for deliveries or the opposing team's bus or something like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg candlestick_park_tom_gehring.jpg (46.9 KB, 353 views)
Old 12-04-2020, 01:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Maybe they drew Marc's pennant that way to depict "the opening of the floodgates" with Mays, McCovey and Cepeda doing damage to opposing pitchers?

Both versions are beyond cool looking, and both equally scarce for pennants of that era. That stadium definitely looks better on a pennant than in-person. We called it "Candlestink" when we lived there because it was always cold and windy (even in the dead of summer).

Last edited by perezfan; 12-04-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:43 PM

Have a vivid memory of Phillies’ Don Carman (favorite pitcher as a kid) almost going perfect game in ‘86 at Candlestick until a damn wind blown fly ball in the 9th fell for a double ...

Both of those Candlestick pennants are beyond awesome ... pure works of art. Is this known to exist with any trademark? (TMC, or the little baseball)
Old 12-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Here are some variations of those two favorite Trench pennants ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADBB7D74-54F9-4158-B0A6-F45F0BF3F5F3.jpg (11.6 KB, 334 views)
Old 12-04-2020, 10:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yep... that was their Heyday. Beautiful and classic imagery.

Very under-appreciated within the hobby!
Old 12-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Marc

Here is a photo of an old pennant (not mine) (listed on ebay this week).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old pennant photo.jpg (71.6 KB, 336 views)
Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 AM

Charlotte? Chattanooga??
Old 12-05-2020, 09:26 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Here is a photo of an old pennant (not mine) (listed on ebay this week).
Looks like this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEA81E53-57ED-4AB3-A9CF-D170764B77E1.jpg (6.1 KB, 326 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 12-05-2020, 09:30 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Here are some variations of those two favorite Trench pennants ...
These pins used the same stadium and Tiger and have a Sortservice trademark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0D358D5E-5066-449D-AC4C-47FEDD00C265.jpg (19.8 KB, 325 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Great finds on both the pennant and the pins, Mike. I have on SF Giants pin with the SportsService logo but the graphic is not found on any pennant....which is unfortunate, because it’s a cool pin.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:44 PM
Rob

Inside the Park had quite a few pennants in their auction last night. I don’t guess any were super rare or you guys would have been bidding. Still, most seemed to be worth a $40 opening bid, yet many got no action at all.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Inside the Park had quite a few pennants in their auction last night. I don’t guess any were super rare or you guys would have been bidding. Still, most seemed to be worth a $40 opening bid, yet many got no action at all.
I saw them, the better baseball ones were in weak condition. Fading, holes etc.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Cool! What a beautiful graphic.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Rob

Quote:
I saw them, the better baseball ones were in weak condition. Fading, holes etc.
OK....I didn’t look too closely.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:39 AM

Question ... is this a pennant or a grilled cheese?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7E3786F3-DDEA-4C8F-9475-33706BD530A7.jpg (15.0 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg 627D1160-072D-4446-86E3-BF49582E26D0.jpg (20.3 KB, 283 views)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:09 AM
Rob

measures 11” by 21”
Old 12-07-2020, 12:58 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I can't even imagine how it got to that state. Looks like it has survived fires, mud puddles and teething dogs.

Maybe it's "game used", meaning it fell out of the fan's hand and on to a very muddy playing field, where it got trampled by Curly Culp, Willie Lanier and Buck Buchanan's cleats for 3 hours.

I'm guessing it won't make it to his asking price.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I can't even imagine how it got to that state. Looks like it has survived fires, mud puddles and teething dogs.

Maybe it's "game used", meaning it fell out of the fan's hand and on to a very muddy playing field, where it got trampled by Curly Culp, Willie Lanier and Buck Buchanan's cleats for 3 hours.

I'm guessing it won't make it to his asking price.
LOLOL!!! That’s a good one ... in fact I can see it now ... “game waved pennant”.

On a similar note, I used to own that awesome ‘32 Cubs WS pennant that you have with the cartoon mouse-cub. Almost certain the exact pennant, has the same weird cut in the upper corner but mint condition. That was when I used to buy and trade at the Philly show like 15 years ago. Anyway I used to think ... this pennant might actually know whether or not Ruth called his shot. Then I remind myself that it’s a piece of cloth and that I’m an idiot ..
Old 12-07-2020, 08:44 PM

Presented without comment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1C4C8C5E-332E-4624-8D4C-F745F92F5271.jpg (19.9 KB, 262 views)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:58 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I have no idea why the "spillway" appeared on some pennants and not others. I also have no idea why the artist emphasized it on Marc's pennant. Here's an pre-opening pic of Candlestick. My guess is the open area was for deliveries or the opposing team's bus or something like that.
That is a GREAT picture!
Old 12-09-2020, 10:18 AM
Mike Kendall

This tag is on a pennant. Can anyone tell me what is the company?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5EAC0359-0DF9-4E0D-A5F3-69D38753750A.jpg (21.6 KB, 224 views)

Old 12-09-2020, 12:53 PM
Rob

Quote:
Don't know about the tag, but I'd love to see the pennant!
Old 12-09-2020, 01:30 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Don't know about the tag, but I'd love to see the pennant!
Don’t own the pennant. Sorry.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:10 PM

Default Annin & Co.

Quote:
"A & Co. N.Y." = Annin & Co., a legendary flag maker based in New York City that's been in business since the 1850s. For many decades they were the largest maker of US flags in the business; and I suspect that's still the case.

In the early 1900s Annin was one of the largest makers of felt novelty pennants and banners. Most of these were collegiate pennants. They also made pennants for fraternal orders. Apart from their signature A & Co. label, these pennants often featured three pairs of tassels made from silk or satin. They were gorgeous.

By the mid-1910s Annin was offering felt pennants in both the sewn letter and screen printed styles.

The only professional baseball pennant I can definitively attribute to them was a 1916-dated Boston Red Sox World Champions pennant (I know because it's actually featured in their catalogue from that year). It's a red/white monochrome pennant ... Rick Haskins owns it, I recall.

At some point the company dropped out of the felt novelty business; but, I'm still unclear precisely when that was. Their 1954 catalogue still shows collegiate pennants as part of their offerings; but I can't say I've ever seen anything with their label/mark on it that's that new.

I suspect they may have stopped using labels all together by the 1930s. If so, that may explain why most of the pennants attributable to them came from the turn of the century--not the mid-century.

They probably made a lot more pennants than we know of....
Old 12-10-2020, 09:59 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
"A & Co. N.Y." = Annin & Co., a legendary flag maker based in New York City that's been in business since the 1850s. For many decades they were the largest maker of US flags in the business; and I suspect that's still the case.

In the early 1900s Annin was one of the largest makers of felt novelty pennants and banners. Most of these were collegiate pennants. They also made pennants for fraternal orders. Apart from their signature A & Co. label, these pennants often featured three pairs of tassels made from silk or satin. They were gorgeous.

By the mid-1910s Annin was offering felt pennants in both the sewn letter and screen printed styles.

The only professional baseball pennant I can definitively attribute to them was a 1916-dated Boston Red Sox World Champions pennant (I know because it's actually featured in their catalogue from that year). It's a red/white monochrome pennant ... Rick Haskins owns it, I recall.

At some point the company dropped out of the felt novelty business; but, I'm still unclear precisely when that was. Their 1954 catalogue still shows collegiate pennants as part of their offerings; but I can't say I've ever seen anything with their label/mark on it that's that new.

I suspect they may have stopped using labels all together by the 1930s. If so, that may explain why most of the pennants attributable to them came from the turn of the century--not the mid-century.

They probably made a lot more pennants than we know of....
Thank you so much for the info.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:42 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
On a similar note, I used to own that awesome ‘32 Cubs WS pennant that you have with the cartoon mouse-cub. Almost certain the exact pennant, has the same weird cut in the upper corner but mint condition. That was when I used to buy and trade at the Philly show like 15 years ago. Anyway I used to think ... this pennant might actually know whether or not Ruth called his shot. Then I remind myself that it’s a piece of cloth and that I’m an idiot ..
Greg...

I forgot that was once yours...

The '32 Cubs is one of my very favorites. A permanent spot on the wall for that one. The "Giant Mouse" Cub is always immensely popular with everyone who visits the house. It is unlike anything made in the last 80 years, so people are always mesmerized by it.

On a more somber note, I'm posting the 1929 Cubs (seen in the second photo) for the final time, as it has found a nice new home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cubbie1.jpg (70.5 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg cubbie2.jpg (72.6 KB, 185 views)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:28 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Greg...

The '32 Cubs is one of my very favorites. A permanent spot on the wall for that one. The "Giant Mouse" Cub is always immensely popular with everyone who visits the house. It is unlike anything made in the last 80 years, so people are always mesmerized by it.

On a more somber note, I'm posting the 1929 Cubs (seen in the second photo) for the final time, as it has found a nice new home.
Wow! You let that great ‘29 Cubs pennant go? I didn’t miss an auction did I? What a beautiful and rare piece.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:39 PM
Rob

Quote:
Greg...

Why did the CUBS put a MOUSE on their pennant?

Old 12-10-2020, 07:08 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:

I would say the pennant company just had a very bad artist.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:41 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I would say the pennant company just had a very bad artist.
Either that, or it was done by the artist's kid.

Yeah, Mike... the '29 Cubs is gone. It was a direct sale, and never went to auction. Next time I part with a rare Cubs pennant , I'll be sure to run it by you.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:06 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Either that, or it was done by the artist's kid.

Yeah, Mike... the '29 Cubs is gone. It was a direct sale, and never went to auction. Next time I part with a rare Cubs pennant , I'll be sure to run it by you.
I hope it went to a good home. It is a special pennant. And thanks for considering me next time.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:50 AM
Rob

Quote:

That's not just any mouse...It's Mickey Rat.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:04 AM
Rob

Here's another with the "VET" mark. We never figured that one out, did we?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vet.jpg (74.9 KB, 160 views)
Old 12-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Rob

Was watching the pennant lots in Lelands last night and thought the prices realized were reasonable. Didn't see anything that jumped out as a great deal for the buyer or a killing for the seller. Except maybe this curious lot. Someone is willing to play $1250, not including tax or shipping for these pennants? There's not a pennant in the lot worth over $200 and you could get most on ebay for under $100. What am I missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lelands Lot.jpg (12.0 KB, 150 views)
Old 12-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Was watching the pennant lots in Lelands last night and thought the prices realized were reasonable. Didn't see anything that jumped out as a great deal for the buyer or a killing for the seller. Except maybe this curious lot. Someone is willing to play $1250, not including tax or shipping for these pennants? There's not a pennant in the lot worth over $200 and you could get most on ebay for under $100. What am I missing?
People seem to always overpay in the AH auctions. It’s as if they don’t trust ebay.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Rob

Quote:
People seem to always overpay in the AH auctions. It’s as if they don’t trust ebay.
If I listed that lot on ebay, it would sell for $400-$500
Old 12-12-2020, 01:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
If I listed that lot on ebay, it would sell for $400-$500
Right on the money...

Before I even read your post, I added them up, and came to a value of $450. Nothing uncommon in there, with the Dodgers and Browns being about tied for the best.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Here's another with the "VET" mark. We never figured that one out, did we?
I think the consensus was this is likely a concessionaire's mark for an unknown company; and, one that ASCO was known to include on pennants they made.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I think the consensus was this is likely a concessionaire's mark for an unknown company; and, one that ASCO was known to include on pennants they made.
All I can say is that the first pennants I ever owned as a kid - and still have, with like 50 thumbtack holes in each - all have the VET mark. They were bought at games in the mid-late 70s. Guess which stadium they were purchased in?
Old 12-12-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Right on the money...

Before I even read your post, I added them up, and came to a value of $450. Nothing uncommon in there, with the Dodgers and Browns being about tied for the best.
There was a cool Red Sox pennant in a small batch but they were all glued to white boards!
Old 12-13-2020, 06:31 AM

I just realized ... it is probably worthwhile to buy a normal sized pennant and break it up into 5 or 6 mini pennants!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A9B63666-0648-4A68-951F-B84C5962EE3C.jpg (10.3 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg AC74B243-899A-470C-AA5B-016B6FDA2E80.jpg (12.9 KB, 182 views)
Old 12-13-2020, 10:08 AM
Rob

Quote:
I just realized ... it is probably worthwhile to buy a normal sized pennant and break it up into 5 or 6 mini pennants!
Don’t forget to add $9.60 shipping!
Old 12-13-2020, 07:37 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Funny thing is that Yankees pennant is much earlier than 1960, yet someone took some white out or something and dated it.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:38 PM
Rob

Picked up a cheap upgrade for my blue, "Giant on the bridge." I don't know if they were the same color to begin with. I also don't know if the lesser grade had a yellow bridge that faded or never got that color at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-12-14 04.13.17.jpg (76.4 KB, 131 views)
Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 PM
Rob

Judging from that Giant's hat and sleeves, I'd say the bridge was never colored. That upgrade looks great. Very vibrant.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:25 PM
Rob

Haven't bought much lately but was mildly interested in this, primarily because I haven't received a package in what seems like weeks...but not for this kind of money. WOW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowboys Pennant Ebay.jpg (18.6 KB, 128 views)
Old 12-14-2020, 08:36 PM
Marc

That's a funky looking Dallas pennant.

Speaking of funky, I picked up this Astros pennant over the weekend at a Houston Antique mall. I know it looks plain, but it is strange for one of these seemingly common Astrodome pennants. The dome area is almost always colored, either the dome itself or the area around the dome. And there is always an MLB logo of copyright C in pre-MLB logo versions. This one has neither. It also has a cloth spine. Compare with the pic of a pennant from 1974, that has the typical color around the dome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 9.34.10 PM.jpg (19.6 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Astros 1974.jpg (71.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-14-2020, 09:10 PM
Rob

Quote:
Judging from that Giant's hat and sleeves, I'd say the bridge was never colored. That upgrade looks great. Very vibrant.
I just noticed the cursive font is different...and the "GIANTS" in the one I had is "squattier." My new pick up is not a Mitchell & Ness.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very nice upgrade, Rob...

I’ve noticed that lots of these are more bland than others, and that there are two different fonts. Just another excuse to have two of this great pennant. One of the most undervalued Pennants IMHO.