NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Ryan

Default Calling on Pennant Experts

I ran across this Cubs pennant at an antique store over the weekend. I've always loved the look of vintage pennants, but I've built my collection around vintage autographs and don't know the first thing about what to look for as to the value or desirability of a pennant. I know many of you guys have amazing pennant collections and was hoping I could call on a bit of your knowledge.

I've seen a few like the pennant below but was curious as most of the others had color (like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE...kAAOSwxp9W91gf) and this one was just white. Is this a variation or do these lose color from time to time? Is one more rare or desirable than the other? It didn't look to have any creases, pinholes, or other damage, but aside from condition I don't have a clue on how to date or value pennants. Are there keys to look for with reproductions also? They want $50 for this one.

I appreciate any help you can provide!

Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pennant.jpg (17.9 KB, 192 views)
Old 07-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Al

Hello Ryan,
I can help a bit light knowledge on pennants but it is a listed pennant in the vintage pennant guide as 1960s Full size Common pennant value 45 to 60 dollars. so 50 is right in the middle. Hope that helps a little...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 07-06-2016, 05:11 AM
Ryan

Thanks, Al! I appreciate that information. Is the pennant guide you mentioned Mike Egner's book? Curious if that would be the best resource for a beginner looking at baseball pennants? Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Al

Hi Ryan,
Yes Mikes book. It is a good reference as a good pennant guide. But if you do find nice pennants probably would be better to post a picture up here and let the experts on net 54 tell you what they think... Some very good people here with alot more knowledge about pennants that me!!!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 07-06-2016, 07:30 AM
Mike Kendall

This version also came with some color added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.4 KB, 140 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 07-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Ryan,
That pennant is priced accurately given the condition I can see in the photo. It appears to be in pretty nice shape with no missing tip or fading. As someone posted, there are more attractive versions of this same pennant that sell for approximately the same amount so it just depends on if you like it or not. This version is from the late 60's and is not really overpriced or underpriced at $50. If you would rather have the colored version, it is readily available on eBay. This is one of the more common styles the Cubs had and I am unaware of any reprints.

Also, if you are interested in vintage pennants Mike's book would be a great reference to purchase. Get the 2nd version as there was more added in that one. Many styles are common to an era and most teams are represented within those general styles. The more rare the version, generally the higher the price. Condition is key and unless pre 30's most advanced collectors will steer clear. If you want them just for display, lesser condition versions can be had for a significant discount. Good luck in your hunt. Jason

Tags
vintage pennant