NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default more Baseball Forensics - Pete Hill

Well, I did learn a little from the Cartwright Dag cluster-fvck thread, and thought this might be an interesting exercise for the non-forensic experts.

Here's an image from a photo I used to own (also on front page of my website), that we debated back in 2003. Some thought it might be Pete Hill, others no. Next to it is the real Pete Hill (Sorry the pic is so big, but too lazy to shrink and upload again). Original debate thread follows, but come up with your own independent opinion before peeking.

What black Giants team is this?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I'd go with Yes.. It's more than likely Pete Hill. But, I'm no expert.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:32 AM
mark sanders

Default how 'bout those ears?

um... don't the ears reveal the answer?
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Mark

I agree with Mark Sanders. Not Hill - ears clearly don't match.

Also he has a deep chin cleft or scar, Hill does not. Of course if it's from an injury, we would need to know the time sequence of the photos. However the ears are determinitive.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 10-16-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando69 View Post
um... don't the ears reveal the answer?
Yes, but oddly, none of us mentioned that in the original discussion. When I looked at the picture today it was pretty simple to tell - I think it's because of spending over an hour reading that AJC Dag article yesterday morning. All those little green and red marks stuck in my head
Old 10-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Mark

In 2003 it is possible that no one on the board was aware of things like ear matching. Now, quite a few board memebrs are aware of it, and they can do it, at least for clear photos, very well. I think that is has helped the hobby screen out a lot of bogus photos in recent years.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
In 2003 it is possible that no one on the board was aware of things like ear matching. Now, quite a few board memebrs are aware of it, and they can do it, at least for clear photos, very well. I think that is has helped the hobby screen out a lot of bogus photos in recent years.
Be careful now guys, someone will hang out a shingle soon and start calling himself an "ear expert" and start authenticating ears on photos.
Before you know it several companies will spring up, former government investigators will proclaim their expertise in ear identification, and major companies will open up new divisions just to authenticate players by their ears .
Someone might even open a company up called Vincent Van Gogh Ear Authentics to try and capitalize on the name like the long ago and almost forgotten J. Dimaggio Co.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-16-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
I think you're right. Several months ago I used ear characteristics to rule out what I thought might be an early picture of Al Spalding. Most everything else looked very good, but the ears just didn't come close. I'll see if I can find that pic, and post it here.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

It seems odd to think about overlooking someone's ears, but almost every time one of these ID questions comes up on a photo, I spend all this time looking at the rest of the face and come to my own conclusion only to scroll down and see somebody mention the ears. Doh! Totally eluded me!

I have no idea why, but somehow the same thing happens over and over to me. Just gotta retrain myself I guess
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
It seems odd to think about overlooking someone's ears, but almost every time one of these ID questions comes up on a photo, I spend all this time looking at the rest of the face and come to my own conclusion only to scroll down and see somebody mention the ears. Doh! Totally eluded me!

I have no idea why, but somehow the same thing happens over and over to me. Just gotta retrain myself I guess
How about this guy?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Man, those ears are close! But, I think we have to now move to the advanced cheekbone comparison on him.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 AM
mark sanders

Default who nose?

the knowses may be the solution to this puzzle...
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 10-18-2011, 04:44 AM

Close, but I would vote that the photo on the right is not Shoeless Joe.

His hairline along the temple on the right side is different, Joe's nose looks larger and his lips look a little fuller IMHO.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:35 AM

All I can say is that I'm sure glad that in twenty years from now, my Ruth & Gehrig photographs are still gonna be photographs of Ruth & Gehrig!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Joe

Everyone seems to be stuck on the ears on the Pete Hill photo. The one glaring difference to me is the huge dimple on his chin. Unless you can hide that somehow the two are clearly not the same person.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
Everyone seems to be stuck on the ears on the Pete Hill photo. The one glaring difference to me is the huge dimple on his chin. Unless you can hide that somehow the two are clearly not the same person.
I wish I still owned that photo so I could give that chin another look. From what I remember, it looked odd under magnification, as if it might have been a flaw on the photo.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Close, but I would vote that the photo on the right is not Shoeless Joe.

His hairline along the temple on the right side is different, Joe's nose looks larger and his lips look a little fuller IMHO.
This picture comes from a photo of a Spartanburg, NC team. When I saw 'Spartanbug', knowing that Jackson played for Greenville, I immediately looked for him in the picture. He had a tendency to play baseball any time he had an opportunity, and Spartanburg's right next door.

Other than the possibility of Jackson being in the photo, it was a total waste of $14.95 - really beat-up and trimmed RPPC.