NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-02-2019, 09:48 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default Why did Topps make cards smaller?

So in 1957 (is that the correct year?) Topps starting making smaller cards, which are still being used today. Why did the company make this change? The bigger cards that were manufactured from 1952 - 1956 were very popular with collectors, no? Was Topps trying to save some paper?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
So in 1957 (is that the correct year?) Topps starting making smaller cards, which are still being used today. Why did the company make this change? The bigger cards that were manufactured from 1952 - 1956 were very popular with collectors, no? Was Topps trying to save some paper?

I don't know, nor do I know why more and more people start sentences with the word 'So'...as if interrupting a thought stream?

It also occurs to me that more and more oral conversations are started with 'I mean'...is this just to assure the listener that the speaker is sincere?

These last two non-answers are grammatically correct. I just thought I would show off as, evidently, one of the last humans to care enough to communicate properly.

Randy - all this is in jest of course, as I am constantly trying to amuse whatever audience appears. I trust you will not be too offended.

Back onto your question, I am grateful, that, once they did change the card size, they stuck with it. It sure is more convenient for both displaying and storage.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-02-2019, 10:24 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I am constantly trying to amuse whatever audience appears.
Don't quit your day posting. The bar for humor on this board isn't that high, but you didn't clear it. So, I hope you won't be too offended.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:30 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

They did it to save money-more cards could fit on a sheet by reducing the size a little and less wrapper size was needed, so you got more wrappers per roll. After working their way up to it they went to Giant Size as a marketing strategy to outsize the competition in 1952 with Baseball then Wings, and then after the Bowman purchase in '56 shrank 'em again, starting with Elvis Presley. 132 cards per half sheet vs. the 110 they were using in '56. For Baseball you could print 6 series over 5 sheets essentially (a simplification but close enough) with the saved real estate.

Last edited by toppcat; 02-02-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:36 AM
Dave Foster

Focus groups in 1956-57 likely hadn't yet arrived 60+ years ago to influence a corporate decision, so my guess is the Topps' suits decided to cut overhead by downsizing their product: less paper / less ink = more Topps' profits. I doubt collectors' interests were even a consideration.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:42 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Focus groups in 1956-57 likely hadn't yet arrived 60+ years ago to influence a corporate decision, so my guess is the Topps' suits decided to cut overhead by downsizing their product: less paper / less ink = more Topps' profits. I doubt collectors' interests were even a consideration.
This would be my guess as well. Or perhaps the smaller cards fit better between bicycle spokes.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Al Richter

They did not start large. The first baseball subset in 1948 was small, and two of their 5 sets in 1951 were small. The 55 and 56 Hocus Focus baseball subsets were small and smaller. And they would go small with the 69 Supers, 75 Minis and 85 Minis. And then there were even bigger ones, the 64 Supers, the 70 and 71s. But I agree with Dave...and Dave... cost savings and the end of completion led to the standard size we have had since 1957, but for various test designs and odd ball sets over the years

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
I don't know, nor do I know why more and more people start sentences with the word 'So'...as if interrupting a thought stream?

It also occurs to me that more and more oral conversations are started with 'I mean'...is this just to assure the listener that the speaker is sincere?

These last two non-answers are grammatically correct. I just thought I would show off as, evidently, one of the last humans to care enough to communicate properly.

Randy - all this is in jest of course, as I am constantly trying to amuse whatever audience appears. I trust you will not be too offended.

Back onto your question, I am grateful, that, once they did change the card size, they stuck with it. It sure is more convenient for both displaying and storage.

So, did you forget to take your pills today?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:28 AM
And*y Quig!ey

Quote:
So is your first sentence intended to be a question?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Al Richter

So was this a serious question or tongue in cheek sarcasm ?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:17 PM

so it goes, and

so well, just when things were going

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-02-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Don't quit your day posting. The bar for humor on this board isn't that high, but you didn't clear it. So, I hope you won't be too offended.

I'm not offended at all John. Thanks.

The last time I cleared a bar, I blamed it on gas.

We geniuses never expect to be appreciated during OUR lifetimes.

=

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-02-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: blabbing on and on...
Old 02-02-2019, 12:39 PM
Al Richter

That's seems to be true Raymond. Sheldon Copper often says that as well
Old 02-02-2019, 01:09 PM

I always thought Topps made their cards bigger to compete with Bowman. After they bought Bowman out, they reduced the size to save money. 1956 cards were already designed, remember Bowman had prototypes for a 1956 set, so the change was made in 1957.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:45 PM
Al Richter

And while there was some moderate nostalgia for the Topps 1988 Big set, I think they had a hard time giving away the 89s

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-06-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:47 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

So, I mean, it could be both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
So was this a serious question or tongue in cheek sarcasm ?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I always thought Topps made their cards bigger to compete with Bowman. After they bought Bowman out, they reduced the size to save money. 1956 cards were already designed, remember Bowman had prototypes for a 1956 set, so the change was made in 1957.

That sounds feasible. Does anyone reading this have any of the prototypes?

I'd love to see one. Please post 'em if you got 'em.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Howie Schenker

https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...ll-prototypes/
Old 02-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeson View Post
Every day I learn something new on Net54. This is an amazing place.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeson View Post

WOW! Thanks Howie!

AMAZING!!

Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 AM
Al Richter

Thanks for that link Howie
Old 02-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Tom

Please keep in mind that going into 1957, there was no "standard size" for baseball cards. The sizes of the cards previous was all over the boards. When Topps unveiled their 1952 series, it was bigger and bolder then anything else, but it was not standard. With Bowman out of the way in 1956, reducing the card size for 1957 allowed Topps to expand on the set (and to keep expanding). It just so happened that the size they selected became industry standard, but then there was no one to challenge them in a bigger card size, because that company would of lost money.

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 02-03-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:14 AM
Steve

Default Grammar

Quote:
Watching a televised political discussion the other day, one of the panelists - who was introduced as a PHD in the humanities - started nearly every one of her sentences with the annoying conjunction. I think it must be a new didactic requirement for doctoral candidates.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with a conjunction. Many teachers back in the stone age taught that it was incorrect because kids would overuse them.

Your arrogance belies your ignorance.

Oh, and I thought Topps reduced the size of their cards so they would fit in those plastic sheets.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:01 AM
Al Richter

The people who made those 1, 2, 3, 4 and other odd size pocket sheets were probably protesting Topps decision to go with the current standard size
Old 02-06-2019, 07:56 AM
Steve

Default Arrogance vs Ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
There is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with a conjunction. Many teachers back in the stone age taught that it was incorrect because kids would overuse them.
My stone age teacher (the guy that starred in those Geico commercials) used to ask kids who started sentences with a conjunction what they were conjoining. The kid would then scratch his head and mumble, "huh...?"
Old 02-06-2019, 09:59 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
My stone age teacher (the guy that starred in those Geico commercials) used to ask kids who started sentences with a conjunction what they were conjoining. The kid would then scratch his head and mumble, "huh...?"
My favorite similar grammar-related comeback is this classic from Cheers:

Sam: Haven’t you got customers to be waiting on?
Diane: You ended that sentence with a preposition.
Sam: Haven’t you got customers to be waiting on, Mullet-head?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Steve

Default Grammar aint around no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
My favorite similar grammar-related comeback is this classic from Cheers:

Sam: Haven’t you got customers to be waiting on?
Diane: You ended that sentence with a preposition.
Sam: Haven’t you got customers to be waiting on, Mullet-head?
Good one, Mark. Recalls Winston Churchill's response to another grammar nag - “Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.”
Old 02-11-2019, 10:25 AM

If I remember correctly the 1956 Elvis Presley set
https://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewSe...resley-(R710-1)

was the first Topps set to use the 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" format